Jared Payne (Ireland)
Jonathan Sexton (Ireland)
Tommy Seymour (Scotland)
Ben Te'o (England)
Anthony Watson (England)
Rhys Webb (Wales)
Liam Williams (Wales)
Ben Youngs (England)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 12:18 by Phil..

MESSAGES->author
Re: Lions Squad confirmed...
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:23
Phil, do you think you could edit your post to thank the sponsors first please? *

Sent from the toilet

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:23
In a 40 man squad there are bound to be some surprises but it does generally reflect the current pecking order of the national teams. Congratulations to Courtney - very well deserved - commiserations to Dylan but he can't really be surprised.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:28
When push came to shove and the nerves and tension were high in the tunnel and they were just about to walk out for the 1st test match, I'd still rather have Hartley in my team than any of the other hookers.

Maverick1
Phil. (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:28
Quote:
Robby Richmond
Phil, do you think you could edit your post to thank the sponsors first please? *

Twas a little crass, Robby, wasn't it?

MESSAGES->author
19 April, 2017 12:58
It's what it's all about now Phil.
Bookies are offering 11/10 for a New Zealand 3-0 victory should tell you all you need to know.
Also 30,000 people going to New Zealand paying on average 7,000 is 210,000,000 in case anyone thinks the rugby is important.

You'll have to forgive my cynicism.

Sent from the toilet

MESSAGES->author
Howlin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 13:11
In the context that Jamie George is going, I think Dylan can count himself unlucky, particularly after their head to head on Sunday.

So pleased for Courtney though (George North was no surprise) And thankfully no Solomona so that media circus has derailed.

fail to see the "outrage" over a lions tour making money. As we are constantly reminded it is a professional sport. There are far more crass marketing ideas and "events" happening far too often. If the lions couldn't attract a lot of cash the concept would have died (as many predicted) when the game went pro. Thankfully it has survived and the interest it attracts from the media and the rugby public is there for all to see. And BTW I'm going (once in a lifetime thing for me) ; so happy as a kid looking forward to Christmas.

Saint 'til I die

alexc
AlexC (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 13:32
No huge issues in that list, tough not sure I would play Warburton as a first choice but hey. Will be interesting to see how many saints get into the England tour given those going with the Lions.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 14:25
Have a great time Howlin. I went on an Oz tour and it was an amazing experience even though we lost.

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 14:34
Have a great time Howlin. I last went in 09 which was a great tour and we did it on a shoe-string budget. As good as the tests should be I think some of the midweek games will be crackers.

Really pleased for Lawes. Thoroughly deserves it. Good on North too although it feels like the old "credit in the bank" has helped him hugely.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 15:31
Personally, unless there are injuries, I cannot see George making the test team where as I think Dylan could.

Regardless of the side picked, it still has Gatland coaching which is going to be the biggest downfall of the lions this year.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 16:14
I would not be happy if I was Scottish (Johnny Gray vs Henderson for a start) and the selection hugely flatters the consistently underperforming welsh

Personally sad not to see Solomona (or someone with x factor) chucked in - if nothing else, something the kiwi's haven't dealt with before

Peasmarshpete
Peasmarshpete (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 16:29
Enjoy Howling.My only visit was in 1993,my Wellington hotel room was next to Robin and Zinzan Brooke's.I was introduced
To Sean Fitzpatrick who astonishingly invited me to join the All Blacks for breakfast! I did so and was dwarfed by the men in black track suits but they were markedly polite having an Englishman at breakfast on the morning of a test match.We won that day, boisterous celebrations were enjoyed but I was VERY quiet when I went back to my bedroom that night!!

MESSAGES->author
19 April, 2017 18:51
Quote:
Howlin

fail to see the "outrage" over a lions tour making money. As we are constantly reminded it is a professional sport. There are far more crass marketing ideas and "events" happening far too often. If the lions couldn't attract a lot of cash the concept would have died (as many predicted) when the game went pro. Thankfully it has survived and the interest it attracts from the media and the rugby public is there for all to see. And BTW I'm going (once in a lifetime thing for me) ; so happy as a kid looking forward to Christmas.

A fool and his money are easily separated

Sent from the toilet

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 19:10
as a welshman, some of those picked dont deserve to be there. same could be said for t'eo who i cant see what all of the fuss is about.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:36
T'eo inclusion is baffling to me. He's only had the odd start for England and IMO whilst showing good things it's early days and I don't think he is Lions quality yet. I think Hamish Watson would have been selected had he not been injured during the 6N.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 02:00
Tring, tell me more, who are these anonymous undeserved selections?

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 07:35
A part from Bristol, has every premiership team got a player in the Lions Squad?

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 09:08
Quote:
Box kick it
A part from Bristol, has every premiership team got a player in the Lions Squad?

Sale? Newcastle?

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:45
When you look at the Autumn internationals the six nations and the later stages of the European cup there are some very odd choices in there. Hard to see anything other than a blackwash, hope I am wrong.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:51
Thanks Rugbymel. Are you telling me the answer or asking questions with your ?????

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:57
Rhetorical (Sm115)

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 12:28
Quote:
Eif Jones
Tring, tell me more, who are these anonymous undeserved selections?

Jonathan Davis, AWJ and Leigh Halfpenny have hardly been setting the welsh stage alight both in the AI's and the 6N plus you could argue that Ken Owens is not better than Dylan (although he has been playing at a consistent level) and then there is our George who, apart from a couple of good games, has barely warranted being selected for wales over the past 2 years.

Yes, they are all capable of delivering great performances, but you cant select based on what they were like 4 years ago and, based on their current performances at the last set of internationals, i personally think that there are better players who were available, i.e.

AWJ for Launchbury
Halfpenny for Zebo (liam williams or watson to cover fullback)
Owens for Hartley
Jon Davis for Dunbar or Scott Williams
North for Maitland

MESSAGES->author
Howlin (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 13:02
I agree Tring. As Jacka posted, you have to look at international results and performances over the last couple of years primarily and then performance in the European cup as the only true indication of these players current credentials. As I feared Gatland is showing some misplaced loyalty to the past.

Saint 'til I die

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 13:48
Only 2 scottish players is frankly poor form IMHO.

I would have taken Russell for Biggar.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 14:01
And Huw Jones for Davies

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 14:37
I think Huw Jones is injured.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 15:14
Quote:
rugbymel
I think Huw Jones is injured.

then maybe not winking smiley

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 22:22
Gatland has done what world cup winning coaches Woodward and Henry failed to do. Namely, win a Lions tour. He did it playing a simple gameplan choosing not necessarily the best players but rather the best players to fulfil his gameplan. Hence dropping Brian O'Driscoll for Jonathan Davies. It worked. Hopefully it works in the tougher NZ environment.

Below is an alternative team that on paper would be able to beat a team made up of Lions:

15 Kearney / Halfpenny
14 Zebo / Nowell
13 Ringrose / Payne
12 Roberts / Teo
11 Ashton / Seymour
10 Ford / Biggar
9 Laidlaw / Youngs
8 Heaslip / Moriarty
7 Barclay / Tipuric
6 Haskell / O'Mahoney
5 Launchbury / Henderson
4 J Gray / Kruis
3 Nel / Sinckler
2 Hartley / Owens
1 Healy / Marler

Saint Swill
Saint Swill (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 10:08
You may be right SaintMaul, but you are matching "The Best of the Rest" against a theoretical Lions team composed of dirt trackers, almost all of whom are improbable starters for a Test team.

I guess all of us can come up with names who might well have been good candidates but have missed out. When there is a huge pool to choose from and a finite number of slots, any selection is likely to generate a degree of approval or disappointment.

As you rightly stress, Gatland has form on his side when it comes to Lions' Tours. But the inclusion of AWJ ahead of Launchbury seems to me to be his greatest gamble.

Robby mentioned that Launchbury had a wedding on his agenda, but his selection for the England tour suggests this may not have been a reason for his omission.

MESSAGES->author
21 April, 2017 15:59
He's away for a fortnight with England, not a month.
Might get called up for an injury?
His missus with be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiished though.

Sent from the toilet

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 17:50
Hi Saint Swill

It sounds like we are agreeing. Ask a 100 Saints forum members and they would all probably come up with different squads.

No argument I've purposefully picked for comparison what I'd perceive to be the weakest Lions or dirt trackers as you say.

I was showing there are loads of alternatives but Gatland is choosing players that give him what he needs irrespective of whether there are better players.

The alternative team I suggested would be outclassed by my best guess at a Lions test team:
15 Kearney / Hogg
14 Zebo / Williams
13 Ringrose / Joseph
12 Roberts / Farrell
11 Ashton / North
10 Ford / Sexton
9 Laidlaw / Murray
8 Heaslip / Vunipola
7 Barclay / Warburton
6 Haskell / Stander
5 Launchbury / Itoje
4 J Gray / Jones
3 Nel / Furlong
2 Hartley / Best
1 Healy / Vunipola

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Northampton Saints Poll

Is Hartley proving a good captain for England?

See results > Submit >>