Bob Fossil
Exeter’s Rob Baxter sounds warning about playing fewer top-flight games
. (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 09:17

fair_weather_fan
Re: Exeter’s Rob Baxter sounds warning about playing fewer top-flight games
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 09:58
Dear Rob, the solution for clubs going bankrupt was a lower salary cap. What did the club's vote for actually?

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 10:01
Maybe the answer is have a longer season but also have a maximum amount of game time for each player in the season. Therefore more players will be used.

Lastofthemohawks
Lastofthemohawks (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 10:43
I was lucky enough to hear Rob saying a similar thing when asked a question by someone about this after a event he did at the club recently. Reading the replies on the papers web page I think most people have missed the point.

What Rob said was based mainly on how difficult the balance is on player welfare and a sustainable business model. Meaning you could have a lower salary cap, less games played, restrictions on percentage of turn over that a club could pay as salaries etc but what would that actually mean.

Firstly it would mean lower salaries for players. That is the crux of his argument-if you include player salaries as part of their welfare package how many will take a lower salary to play in a sustainable premiership with less games?

I think he also gets a little annoyed when so many people seem to claim that players are exploited when the biggest cost to all premiership clubs are player salaries, and most, if not all clubs actually want to look after their players as they are the clubs biggest asset and also most people involved in rugby are decent people who wouldn't deliberately aim to injure players.

Most people also seem to have missed his words "that what ever the length of season players will move to clubs that will look after them". The length of the season doesn't really matter if players are managed globally across the year.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 11:02
tha'ts all very well but missing from the equation is the increasing demands of the international circus.

MESSAGES->author
Howlin (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 11:11
As Rob Baxter says , it is all about balance, as are most things in life. Can't really see how anyone can argue with that. Getting the balance right is the key and will always be extremely difficult to achieve.

Saint 'til I die

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 11:16
Nice one OP, I have just won £5 off myself. By the way, can anyone actually confirm there are more internationals now than, say, 10 years ago?

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 11:19
Indeed Mr Last and this;
Quote:
Rob Baxter
No one wants to play every week of the year but if the season extends you’ll find players migrating to clubs where they are well-looked after. The clubs who don’t look after their players will get a bad reputation which will hurt them in all kinds of ways. I think that’s the only grown-up way of looking at it.”

Is the nugget in that piece, as some players going for the big euros in France have found

Ady32
Ady32 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 15:25
In my view it took a huge turn for the worse when the autumn internationals started, which I think was 2000. Having these games every year can only be to generate income. If they are played for a trophy, its one made up by./ for the sponsor they are only friendlies really, which also devalued the games with the big 3 southern hemisphere sides, in terms of being "special". I recall games against those being something akin to the buzz around a Lions tour.

So given that they are not going to be removed from the calendar now, they need to make the best of it. And as long as the internationals take other time off and the non-internationals take the internationals weeks off then the net effect is no more games for each player. The losers with the proposed new season structure are of course are US - yet more games when the 'star' players will be unavailable.

And planning holidays may become more difficult if we get back to the stage where we are contesting finals again ;_)

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 01:12
If what Lastofthemohawks is quoting Baxter accurately then Baxter is perpetuating an illogic. Obviously, players are not going to accept a lowering of salaries but they only have high salaries because the clubs paid them in the first place when they couldn't afford to. The high salary cap and the daft marguee system breeds inflation and relies on sugar daddies allowing clubs to run to large unsustainable debts.

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 10:55
Quote:
Eif Jones
If what Lastofthemohawks is quoting Baxter accurately then Baxter is perpetuating an illogic. Obviously, players are not going to accept a lowering of salaries but they only have high salaries because the clubs paid them in the first place when they couldn't afford to. The high salary cap and the daft marguee system breeds inflation and relies on sugar daddies allowing clubs to run to large unsustainable debts.

There's nothing illogical about RB's stance here. Exeter's wage bill is relatively low according to the figures and the club is sustainable.

But that's by the by. All he's doing is stating the fact that fewer games = less income for the clubs. If that's because of increased internationals maybe the RFU needs to plug the gap? Also, I don't know about you but if I decide to do less work I get less pay.

Bob Fossil
. (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 11:30
The answer isn't the money, the answer is to cap appearances. Properly. With points deductions for taking the Michael & subbing players on after 20 minutes as happened last time.

There's a reason Donnacha O'Callahan, Peter Stringer & Paul O'Connell all play(ed) into their late 30's- They didn't play 30 games a season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net