Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:08
Ribbans wasn't registered in January or in march. Sterling work lads

Sent from the toilet

SaintED
Re: Team's Up
SaintED (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:09
Whilst we will miss Wood I really like the balance of the back row and the backs themselves are almost the same as we played last game so some continuity. Shame Ribbans is missing as he has looked very good (hadn't seen Robbys post) but with Lawes and Daisy starting and Api on the bench the lock situation looks strong. Hill injured? Not quite sure what we expect is going to change Brookes. Good luck to captain Hartley this is the sort of game we need him to deliver in as both player and leader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2017 12:10 by SaintED.

chocchoc
chocchoc (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:18
A massive game for young Mr Mallinder, he will be targeted. I hope he is supported by his colleagues and advised on some of his decision making. I think he is a wonderful prospect but for games as big as this he does lack experience. That said I am sure he will give 100%

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:24
really happy that Tei starts.

if that eight can't beat the fourth ranked Irish province, at home, we do not deserve top level European rugby.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:27
For Ribbans to be registered in January or March, a Second Rower would have had to be de-registered. All five registered Second Rows played in one of the January games . With no changes to registrations after mid March , we could have registered Ribbans but he hadn't yet made the first team . It's easy to be wise after the event.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:32
Ribbans... anyway

Is Tom Wood injured? If not, why is he good enough for England but not for Saints?

Why oh why can't they, just once, start Wood Teimana Picamoles.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:36
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Ribbans... anyway
Is Tom Wood injured? If not, why is he good enough for England but not for Saints?

Why oh why can't they, just once, start Wood Teimana Picamoles.

Good question as with daisy calling the lineouts Gibson can be bench.

I see it as a good sign that Louis is in, if there was that much fuss going on, would he be ready to play?

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:37
I agree, but its the lineout option that Gibson gives you, I also feel an old head of Wood coming on would be good. Wood took an injury at the last home game, so may not be 100%. That said, if you aint fit enough to start, you aint fit enough for the bench

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:37
Quote:
twsaint
For Ribbans to be registered in January or March, a Second Rower would have had to be de-registered. All five registered Second Rows played in one of the January games . With no changes to registrations after mid March , we could have registered Ribbans but he hadn't yet made the first team . It's easy to be wise after the event.

would it have to be a second row, or just a player / forward?
wonder if Calum remains registered for Europe - if he does, it very much supports Robby's angle.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:42
Calum was de-registered.

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:44
Agree with saintalex. Hartley wouldn't normally do more than 50 minutes so maybe if the call between Wood and Gibson or Wood and Harrison was tight they decided having one of our Captains coming on the field as the other leaves might be of use?

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:55
Are Connacht on French time?
Appreciate they have a lot of injuries but ??

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:55
False logic IMHO, start your best players. What message does it send when your club captain, an England starting XV player, is benched for a guy who doesn't make eddies training squad?

Please leave Groom on for 80 minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2017 13:08 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 13:03
Quote:
twsaint
Calum was de-registered.
thanks tws!

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 13:10
Correct team selection for me, apart from Wood at 6 would be my preference.
Can't wait to see Harrison at 7 - plays out of his skin.

Adding to my post on a different thread - what on earth would happen if this match went the distance and ended up in a kicking competition! I think we'd be a bit stuffed. Harry to take one, Dickson assuming he was on, Fodes might fancy one... then, who knows!

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 13:37
SaintNice, that has to be the most ridiculous thing to worry about ever. I am pretty sure the coaches aren't even thinking about this game going to a shoot out and if they are, you cannot pick a rugby team based on which players would do best in a shoot out at goal.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 13:49
There's something on the Chron saying that Woody had been 'playing through the pain' for a while and took a further knock against Quins but is fit enough for the bench.

In the Tigers Euro semi final all those years ago it went to forwards kicking if I remember rightly - that said I noticed Beef has been practicing dizzy drop goals in the week so surely he should bench for that reason alone? *

If its anything like my playing days long ago the forwards take any opportunity to kick in training so might have a better chance than the backs once we' get past non-kickers!

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 13:57
If we cant beat this lot, on their current form, at home, then we dont deserve to be in the competition.....

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 14:03
In fact relegation is too good for us!*

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 14:05
Quote:
Box kick it
SaintNice, that has to be the most ridiculous thing to worry about ever. I am pretty sure the coaches aren't even thinking about this game going to a shoot out and if they are, you cannot pick a rugby team based on which players would do best in a shoot out at goal.

I agree - I'm not genuinely worried about it, it's just an amusing thought!!

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 14:30
I think its a great idea to have wood coming on when Hartley comes off. We always look absent of leaders when Hartley goes off so right call really.

Although i do think Gibson has been playing better than Wood recently as well.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 15:10
One has to love the Irish.. unavailable due to injury, the fact they play for other sides, they have retired..

Connacht team to face Northampton Saints

19th May 2017

Ireland internationals Niyi Adeolokun, Ultan Dillane and Matt Healy have all returned from injury to feature in Connacht’s match day squad for the Champions Cup play-off semi-final clash with Northampton Saints tomorrow (4pm).
Head coach Pat Lam has made seven personnel changes for the knockout game in Franklin’s Gardens.
Adeolokun starts on the right wing while Danie Poolman moves in to partner Craig Ronaldson for a rare start in the centres.
Dave Heffernan and Finlay Bealham are both promoted to the front row in a week that also saw them named in Joe Schmidt’s Ireland squad for the Summer Tour.
Sean O’Brien and Jake Heenan start in the back row with captain John Muldoon at number 8.

Ruled out through injury since February, Dillane and Healy are both in line to make an appearance from the bench tomorrow.
Commenting on tomorrow’s game, head coach Pat Lam said:
“Everything over the past few weeks has been geared towards this game. We know we haven’t been anywhere near our best in the last few matches and that’s been a big disappointment for us as a team. We’ve had a very positive week on and off the training pitch but we all know that the eighty plus minutes from 4pm tomorrow is when it needs to count.”

Connacht team to face Northampton Saints
Saturday, May 20th, kick off 4pm, Franklin’s Gardens

15 Tiernan O’Halloran c
14 Niyi Adeolokun c
13 Danie Poolman
12 Craig Ronaldson
11 Cian Kelleher
10 Jack Carty
9 Kieran Marmion c

1 Denis Buckley
2 Dave Heffernan
3 Finlay Bealham c
4 Quinn Roux c
5 Andrew Browne
6 Sean O’Brien
7 Jake Heenan
8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Shane Delahunt
17 JP Cooney
18 Conor Carey
19 Ultan Dillane c
20 Naulia Dawai c
21 Caolin Blade
22 John Cooney
23 Matt Healy c

Injured/unavailable: Eoin Griffin, Tom McCartney, Ronan Loughney, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Shane O’Leary, Bundee Aki, Peter Robb, Stacey Ili, Tom Farrell, Josh Rowland.

Saint Swill
Saint Swill (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 15:45
This is an interesting match.

The season has been a rank disappointment. Everyone knows that, so we don't need to pick those scabs anymore. Whatever went wrong is locked away in the history books now. What's done can't be undone.

But this is a chance. A chance to engineer a little redemption. A chance to inject energy and some optimism back into the supporters. And, most of all, a chance to put some pride and confidence back into a half-decent rugby club that has lost its way.

I am quite sure that Jim and Dorian will give the usual tactical pre-match speech. Here's what they will probably say: "We need to play our rugby the right parts of the field...win the fifty/fifty collisions...keep our discipline...dominate the set-piece...take the points on offer...cut out the mistakes...play the ref better...no penalties".

In short, the stuff that every DOR/Coach churns out every time a mike is thrust under his nose. Thanks for the insight, but we've heard it a thousand times.

My advice - grab this chance with both hands. Go for the ball like it owes you money. Want the win like a mole wants to dig holes. Go out there and blow their doors off. Fury and ferocity.

It's a chance we didn't deserve. Never mind that. Claim it!

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 16:58
Hopefully Hartley will be prepared for Muldoon convincing the ref to let Connacht kick to touch for the line out in the 80th minute!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Northampton Saints Poll

Is Hartley proving a good captain for England?

See results > Submit >>