rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

lost in duston
Blues v lions - Contains Spoilers
lost in duston (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 07:59
listening on iplayer- well radio cymru and I don't speak/understand welsh.

no other english speaking feeds I can find

ho hum

well it's 5-7 to lions with c j stander just scoring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2017 08:46 by Saint Ted.

Box kick it
Re: Blues v lions
Box kick it (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 08:05
Yes, I thought I would have a lovely morning at work listening to the game. Can't believe BBC only have the game in Welsh.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 08:08
Courtney sounds like he is having a good game. He has Courtney'd their number 10

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 08:33
Good thing their number 10 isn't Francis anymore, we don't want him broken before he arrives!

Poor end to the first half, their young ten hits the post on a very kickable penalty but the rebound gets flapped back over our tryline and SBW is quickest to react - 12 - 10 to the Blues.

Beef
Re: Blues v lions - Contains Spoilers
Beef (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:07
If you can get online, [icecast1.rte.ie]

Or download the tunein Radio app to your phone and access it there

I registered to Betfred and Bet365 this morning, but neither are showing the game. Probably only showing the tests or Saturday games

Welsh players are having a good game...

http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/991152054167.gif

Terrace 'B' next to Mav, Shaddo, AB, Jeremy and Spud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2017 09:16 by Beef.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:08
Oh dear jack Nowell. Where has his defence gone? I knew he had little pace for a winger but defensively he's looked awful

Beef
Beef (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:29
Shite Hooker

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:30
Rory best my word. I called it before the lineout, but I wouldn't expect that from a third team hooker

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:31
Gatlandball

Very average coaching unit

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:31
I always feel strangely neutral watching the Lions and Blues well deserved their victory. I wonder if Dylan would have messed up that last lineout

lost in duston
lost in duston (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:32
*breaking news*

Warren Gatland has confirmed that after the Lions tour, he is going to be the new Head Coach at the Northampton Saints.

Beef
Beef (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:34
How the hell do miss the 2 best lineout operators in Britain?

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:38
Courtney Roars!

Still quite a few games to play but on the basis of today he should be in the 23 at the minimum and possibly start.

Some good performances but a bit like saturdays game it seems to be as much about players playing themselves out of a start as in to one.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:44
Bigger going off for sexton didn't help. Sexton seems a shadow of what he's capable of

HungryLikeTheWolf
07 June, 2017 09:48
Biggar is bang average and we are dumb to be paying over the odds for him next year. Piers Francis will be v effective and we'll look silly having signed an agreement a season early. Just saying ......

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 10:00
I've watched Biggar very closely since we've been linked with him. He's barely an upgrade on Myler and certainly not worth 500k a year.
Stunningly poor outside of the pack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2017 10:22 by Robby Richmond.

HungryLikeTheWolf
07 June, 2017 10:16
yeah anyway... Lions are a poor mans England.

Chris Wearmouth
Chris Wearmouth (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 10:54
English radio coverage is on TalkSport or TalkSport 2. Had it on in the car on the way in this morning and they had Ben Kay as a summariser, so it wasn't all bad!

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 11:08
Don't blame Best, the thrower, there obviously was a calling problem as nobody seemed interested in jumping, same as for Ken's last throw. Its pretty easy to miss your 2 best jumpers when the jumpers don't understand the call.

Rob, interesting judgement re Biggar when he was only on for much less than half a game.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 11:11
Think Rob did say since we had been linked to him which was some months ago?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 11:39
Quote:
lost in duston
*breaking news*
Warren Gatland has confirmed that after the Lions tour, he is going to be the new Head Coach at the Northampton Saints.

Don't upset me further please :-)

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 12:55
Quote:
Eif Jones
Don't blame Best, the thrower, there obviously was a calling problem as nobody seemed interested in jumping, same as for Ken's last throw. Its pretty easy to miss your 2 best jumpers when the jumpers don't understand the call.
Rob, interesting judgement re Biggar when he was only on for much less than half a game.

Eif the lineout I saw was a poor throw, albeit created confusion and a non jump. The throw didn't hit anyone's height had they gone up. Distinct lack of leadership and cohesion at that point in the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2017 12:57 by herbie85.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 13:04
In Nowell's slight defence he was left with huge acreage to cover for that first try, he was caught in two minds and started coming in on the second last man giving the winger far too much of a head start - but if he'd kept his width a shorter pass would have seen the other guy walk in.

In defence of the overall these are guys playing together for the first time, we gave a lot of penalties away which killed our momentum and that looked like lack of trust and cohesion in some places. Plus we're a long way off the test side, with players like North and Farrell not involved at all.

Having said that we're a long way of the pace anyway!

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 14:01
Thought it was a big step in the right direction albeit with a long way to go if we are to beat the AB's. The starting pack all did well and thought Webb had a good game. Bigger was doing OK until he went off, Sexton is completely out of sorts right now. Nowell criticised a bit harshly IMO, Haskell jumping out of the line earlier in the move caused the problem and everyone had to shift infield leaving Nowell exposed. Needed more from the centres who were solid without creating anything. Halfpenny and Daly did ok with little ball. Bench of Best and Laidlaw didn't help finishing the game

HungryLikeTheWolf
07 June, 2017 14:11
not even the best 10 in Swansea....

charlieemeriau
charlieemeriau (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 14:45
I agree with the fact that throw in was bad, that certainly didn't lose them the game.
But if you consider that Devin toner was probably the tallest player in the six nations, can't find the stat but I believe Ireland line out preformed badly, I guess though Rory Best is good all around player... Leaving Hartley behind was never going to be very popular on this board :-)

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 17:22
So have we signed Biggar for the season after next as it's mentioned on here as though it's a fact ?
Is so God help us .... never really rated him.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 01:08
I suspect Ringrose would have been a better choice than Payne as a 13, both 13s so far have really struggled.

hoddros
hoddros (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 04:11
I agree Charlie, the throw didn't lose the game; in my view it was the frivolous kicking away of possession after the 35th minute that did that. When Biggar went off Webb and Sexton gifted the ball to the Blues pacey back line on far too many occasions.

If that is our tactics leading into the Tests then the AB's will be rubbing their hands with glee.

On another point, I was disappointed that Courtney and Itoje played so much of the game, I was expecting them to play less and then have game time on Saturday. Maybe Gatland sees Kruis and AWJ as the 2nd row for the tests which I think is a shame?

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 06:39
Quote:
hoddros
On another point, I was disappointed that Courtney and Itoje played so much of the game, I was expecting them to play less and then have game time on Saturday. Maybe Gatland sees Kruis and AWJ as the 2nd row for the tests which I think is a shame?[/quote

Crusaders game was never going to be the 'test' team. First 3 games are all about giving people starts. We will see his thinking from the next mid week game i suspect.

craig84
craig84 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 07:05
I agree with Eif about Ringrose, i think Payne was chosen ahead because he can cover more positions and has super rugby experience, but from when i have watched Ringrose he is much more suited to a lions setup,very good young player.
Rory Best hasnt been good enough so far, no doubting he is a quality player but you need to have form players in the tests.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 07:29
I think Ringrose could consider himself unlucky and Jonathan Davies considered himself lucky when the Squad was selected, Davies form was poor, in fact I would have gone for Huw Jones myself.

However in Davies defense, he did have a strong finish to the Pro12 in semis n finals, on those performances would have deserved a place... but definitely not when squad was selected.

Payne is a solid good all round player, defense, offense and like others have said can play in more than one position.

ancient mariner
ancient mariner (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 08:46
ITV appreciated Lawes' contribution link here

MESSAGES->author
Saint Robert (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 09:47
Quote:
ancient mariner

Still not good enough to make the starting line-up according to the views of Wales Online, who have pencilled in 8 Welsh players for the first test, plus more on the bench. [www.walesonline.co.uk]

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 09:57
Sorry Neil-H, JD2 took some time recovering from a serious knee problem and had a very slow start to the season at Scarlets. You could see him returning to form during the 6N, better from game to game, culminating in his end of season of sheer class.

He also has a Lions track record, doing so well last time that there was no choice but for him to displace BOD. His displays in the Pro12 play-offs against Irish opposition was such a delight as the Irish press (Neil Francis for example) have had it in for him ever since. He was always the front runner for the test 13 shirt.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 11:38
Sorry Eif... please re-read my email? You appear to be disagreeing with me, but your reasoning is the same as mine?!?!?

For the record, I thought he deserved his place in the 3rd test over O'Driscoll.

I dont think Davies has always been the front runner for the test shirt, I dont think any 13 has particularly stood out in all fairness?

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:03

Oh dear Eif, that wonderful return to form at 24 seconds...
By the way, why is Davies kicking it & not Biggar or Halfpenny who are hiding from responsibility in the dead ball area.
http://i.imgur.com/4o0rjY8.png

Aylesbury Saint
Aylesbury Saint (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:01
Quote:
Saint Robert
Quote:
ancient mariner

Still not good enough to make the starting line-up according to the views of Wales Online, who have pencilled in 8 Welsh players for the first test, plus more on the bench. [www.walesonline.co.uk]

Why wouldn't you have over half of your Lions team made up of the 5th best team in Europe?

MESSAGES->author
Saint Robert (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:09
Quote:
Aylesbury Saint
Quote:
Saint Robert
Quote:
ancient mariner

Why wouldn't you have over half of your Lions team made up of the 5th best team in Europe?

Yeah, good point**

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:12
One thing I hate about the lions is when the fans get all territorial. Lions isn't about England, Wales , Ireland or Scotland, Its about the best players coming together and forming a bond which hopefully wont get broken out on the test pitch.

Aylesbury Saint
Aylesbury Saint (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:24
Quote:
Box kick it
One thing I hate about the lions is when the fans get all territorial.

I don't think it is about being territorial, it is about looking at the facts. England - double 6 Nations Champions and, until playing Ireland, were on a pretty good winning run. Ireland - recently beaten New Zealand, second in the 6 Nations and beat England. Wales - no recent wins against good southern hemisphere and two poor years in the 6 Nations.

If, as all the pundits seem to tell you, winning is a habit, then the majority of players should come from the teams that are winning.

I will shout for whoever wears the Lions Shirt, but want that to be the best players and not Gatland's mates.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:26
Very true Box Kick... in theory. Although that bit about "the best players" seems to have been misunderstood Gatland by for "the best Welsh players"

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:31
Totally agree Stokey but us fans need to just accept his bizarre decisions and roll with it. There's always 12 years time.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:32
There's always Argentina!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net