Re: European cup draw
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:44
not even a southern france trip either... ugh

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
in fairness, there's not a group that we would consider to be easy.

looks like an early exit for us.

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
Ouch

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:47
It was never going to be easy. Can anyone recommend if Clermont is a pleasant away day? I'm guessing it is.

incastrowetrust
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:49
Quote:
SaintNice
It was never going to be easy. Can anyone recommend if Clermont is a pleasant away day? I'm guessing it is.

It's a great away day.

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:49
Great a trip back to Clermont. Need to get the liver in training!

Always going to be difficult as the lowest placed team. Never know what next season brings.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:50
Take a trip to the Puy de Dome, which is nearby, or the Vulcania "European Volcano Park"?

There ain't no Sanity Clause

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:55
Always going to be tough.

Win the home games and see what happens on your travels. Saracens are a known quantity and are beatable.

I do not expect to hear any talk about MK but would not be at all surprised to see Wembley or even HQ on the itinary for the 'away' game against the special ones.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:56
Quote:
SaintNice

the best rugby crowd in the world IMHO..... but the town is pretty dull industrial place.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 12:58
Beat Clermont at home, try not to get too much of a dicking away.
beat Sarries and O'Sprays home and away.

Easy peasy lemon squeazy

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:01
Not ambitious enough. Win all the matches and take the cup home.

:-)

Stevie Myler's right boot
08 June, 2017 13:04
On a positive at least we got a year off from Leinster or Castres :0)

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:06
Stranger things have happened.

Need to draw a line under the last two years and go into the season feeling unbeatable. (Well, until we get beat that is)

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:06
The reward for finishing 7th.

MESSAGES->author
Saint Robert (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:17
Quote:
Duckonstilts

I don't think anyone has ever won all the matches and won the final.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:21
At least we can get trips to La Rochelle or Toulon in the next round

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:22
Sarries got closest iirc, drew 1 group game? so unbeaten but didnt win all

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:28
Just a though for you all.

We only lost by one score to a lot of the top teams last year and we were playing rubbish. If we get things together, not many will fancy playing us.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:34
anyone know what Barnets like for a weekend??? (Sm100)

Trog
Dave Jackson (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:37
Saracens are beatable. We have done so before. Ospreys are beatable. Clermont is a fortress but a fantastic atmosphere, looking forward to a return visit to the best away ground I have been.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:47
Quote:
Box kick it
Just a though for you all.
We only lost by one score to a lot of the top teams last year and we were playing rubbish. If we get things together, not many will fancy playing us.

Abso-flippin-lutely!

There ain't no Sanity Clause

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 13:53
Fortress Franklin Gardens is the secret to both competitions, but particularly Europe.
Clermont not the prettiest town but the best atmosphere in Europe, absolutely worth the visit just for that.

Highbury Saracen
Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 14:01
Quote:
Saint Robert
Quote:
Duckonstilts

Saracens 2015/16

Double Champions of Europe,we know who we are!! smiling smiley

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 14:09
If you know who you are then you must be lost,

Trott on

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 14:10
I see Leicester got our group!!

We got the group we deserved. Hopefully next season will see a better Saints side so we may be the side that destroys the dreams of Sarries or Clemont by taking points off them.

Likely to be only the one qualifier from the group so there is going to be an upset for one of the higher ranked sides.

I think our chances of progressing are as slim as Cat Deeley (a name from the past for ChrisG's benefit! If I remember correctly)

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 14:18
Quote:
Saint Stokey
in fairness, there's not a group that we would consider to be easy.
looks like an early exit for us.

Bet Pool 5 has two teams through to the knockout stages, though.

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 14:18
St Kenneth, you are showing classic defeatism. With a mind set like that you can't possible expect anything.

Gotta get more positive me old fruit.

MMM Cat Deeley (nice touch)

PowerCuts
Tsar Brite (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 14:43
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
Quote:
SaintNice

It's a great away day.
I am fortunate to have visited most European rugby grounds and Clermont and it's fans are head and shoulders above the rest. Don't miss it. Normally fly into Lyon and drive across to Clermont circa 2 hours.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 14:55
Before we get too worried about Clermont, we should remember that we have won at Biarritz, Leinster, Ulster all of whom had fearsome home records - should have beaten Munster but Nigel was in a Celtic mood that night.

Sweet Lady
Joubear (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 15:02
Quote:
Saint Robert
Quote:
Duckonstilts

Saracens did it last year (15/16)

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 15:37
Seedings are a bit wonky again. They'd be better looking at a blend of the prior year's cup and league performances. We're exactly where we should be in the bottom tier, but no way should Saracens be a second-tier team.

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Saint Swill
Saint Swill (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 16:03
Just for the record St Kenneth, Cat Deeley was my bird not Chris G's.

Unfortunately, she was barred from Franklin's Gardens after a heavy lunchtime session on the Tennents Super Strong and an accidental swig of Windolene caused her to become raucous and a little potty-mouthed.

This was compounded by a half-time fracas with the stewards which culminated in her decking Mr Robson with one punch and then administering a near-fatal wedgie to Uncle Keith.

I know that Chris G always fancied my bird from afar, but had to be content with his steady date at the time, Jo Brand.

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 16:20
Those were the days - a little pre match entertainment at the gardens.

MESSAGES->author
08 June, 2017 16:52
I'm sorry Swill, we all knew Chris was seeing her behind your back, did you never guess? I suppose his infatuation with Magnus Lund threw you off the scent!!!

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 18:35
Saints have got to improve no end at home in the European Cup if we are to get anything out of the competition. This means winning the home games and trying to ensure the opposition do not get a bonus point. There is little point picking up away wins to the likes of Ulster and Leinster if you get hammered at home.

MESSAGES->author
08 June, 2017 20:11
Quote:
Box kick it
St Kenneth, you are showing classic defeatism. With a mind set like that you can't possible expect anything.
Gotta get more positive me old fruit.

I'm not sure who you've been watching the last couple of seasons, but the 2016/17 variety of the Saints would not fair well against any of those three in our group. Hopefully 2017/2018 will be a finer vintage to the vinegary red wine we've been forced to sup in recent times. Oh for the Champagne days of yester year.... these days I'd settle for a Blue Nun (Sm100).... (insert joke here)

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 22:28
Let us put the boot on the other foot for a moment and consider how the other teams in our group may feel.
Easy points against the lowest ranked team ? ..... hmmmm perhaps not as we've got to go to a bouncing Franklins Gardens rather than Treviso, Castres etcccc
@#$%& !!!!!

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 05:45
I do wonder if we might have seen more rugby if we had qualified for the second tier.

Surely with the significant signings we have made next year will see a different style of rugby, which will be more competitive, but there is very little time to get the new players integrated before we are into the euro competition, if the first game is at the Gardens it will be a big big test.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 07:23
Quote:
Matthew
Seedings are a bit wonky again. They'd be better looking at a blend of the prior year's cup and league performances. We're exactly where we should be in the bottom tier, but no way should Saracens be a second-tier team.

They were actually tier 3 but because way the draw works, some get promoted to the tier above!...

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 09:09
Weren't we on course for going through unbeaten until the second half against Leinster in the final that no amount of Guinness can wipe from the memory? If only Sexton would play like that out in NZ over the next few weeks!

Kat Deeley eased so many brutal hangovers back in the day....

Shire
Shire (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 13:55
Can I blame the ref now?

Mark H
Mark H (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 19:25
Would thoroughly recommend Clermont to anyone, and not just for the rugby. Was in the ASM Experience, their new museum underneath one end of the ground when I was over there 5 weeks ago and what did they have in there but a detailed breakdown of their preparation for a match.

The quarter final two years ago. Suffice to say, they had us completely sussed, to the extent of not throwing lineouts near Daisy, and not giving James Wilson a chance to kick. Fascinating place, well worth seeing when we go over.

There's a lot to do. Just hope that the away game is either Sunday of rounds 2 or 4 then we can have a week over as it's school holiday.

MESSAGES->author
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 09:35
Meanwhile, just to know what could have been, in Challenge Cup Stade Francais have :

Edinburgh, Krasny Yar and London Irish.

Krasny Yar might have been an interesting trip. But on balance I'd prefer Clermont.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net