rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
A league fixtures announced
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 13:18
Along with a new format as well which will mean a few more games.
[www.northamptonsaints.co.uk]

The link on the offy site may not work so full fixtures are found here.
[www.premiershiprugby.com]

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

MESSAGES->author
Re: A league fixtures announced
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 11:12
Cheers Chris

11 fixtures. With the half in Sept and Oct.

If we use the LV Cup as player development then that is a reasonable number of games for aspiring players when A league knock out stage is thrown in.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 11:59
It's 10 A League games plus knock out stages if we make it. Cambridge Univ on 9th Oct and hopefully Oxford too.

Certainly more chances for fringe players/youngsters.

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 01:59
Still nowhere near enough I'm afraid. Better than a kick in the testicles I suppose, but still nowhere near enough games.
Won't get fixed until the AP wake up and add A games before or after the actual league games. Oh well, remember this when people are complaining about lads not being given a chance or when we get injuries and a lad whose not played since November is asked to step into the 1st team in February.

Sent from the toilet

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 12:00
As much as i understand the benefits of playing the same day as a first team match, for me i would miss monday night rugby.

There needs to be more games for sure. Why not a parallel european competition for u21s along side the main event? Costly for sure but if we want to be ambitious why not? Getting young players used yo playing other nations could help their development.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 08:31
Impossibe to play on same day as First teams. It would mean two squads of 23 plus warm up squads. At any one time as much as 25% of a squad can be injured. OK they could be replaced by academy players but that assumes that the combination of positions works. Senior Academy players are given contracts based on their potential ability to become first squad members not on giving a balance to second team selection. Sometimes clubs have to borrow players to make up second team squads. Lower level clubs and perhaps schools would not do that on a Saturday. We don't want the standard diluted. Players need to be able to make the jump from seconds to firsts and not be playing in a glorified academy league and we don't want the better off clubs to stockpile more players as second team only players.

Some clubs find it very hard to get teams out as it is and were unwilling to extend the league. This new arrangement is much better for us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Northampton Saints Poll

Is Hartley proving a good captain for England?

See results > Submit >>