rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Hantsaintsrus4
Calum
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 15:05
I do hope Calum runs out for Sarries to start our first game at Twickenham, always the first man on the team sheet as far as I am concerned. I worry that his game will improve and he will at last get a good run in the England team, this reflect badly on our setup. I read that he was unhappy with our medical team, well Sarries seem to keep their players on the pitch despite having a game plan based on confrontation! Good luck Calum but COYS!
I am now more optimistic about the coming season, Stephenson fit, quick supply from the base and Dyls marauding, what could possibly go wrong?

Hantsaintsrus4
Re: Calum
15 July, 2017 15:08
Should have previewed that first! Hope you can understand the point!

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 15:21
I mentioned on the Sarries site it feels really odd seeing him in their training kit. I can see him getting a fair bit of game time for them as Fraser, unfortunately, seems to have injury after injury and they quite often play Burger from the bench. If they rest their Lions locks then the chance increases of Rhodes playing there and Calums chances increase further. Like you I think he'll improve there but I'm less certain that it will be enough to see him get in England contention given the youngbloods Jones has blooded in Argentina.

I wish him all the best but hope that we can show him what he's missing rather than what he escaped when we play them first up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/07/2017 16:27 by SaintED.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 15:38
Why would it reflect badly on our set up? He's become the player he has because of our set up. We are too quick to look to knock Jim and co. If they were so bad Sarries wouldn't have come knocking. His career stalled, it happens, he had injuries got frustrated and then got banned for a short period. He felt it was time to move on to try and get better, good luck to him. Sometimes it's better to move on and grab an opportunity rather than look back and think what if. I would doubt very much if he will get any further England honours for the reasons StEd stated rather than lack of ability

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 15:54
Walks

Quite agree !

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 17:06
Quote:
Mobbs
Walks
Quite agree !

Yep agree with this. Also not forgetting his many faults, including breaking fellow pros arms amongst other indiscretions. Improved at saints, did well when available for us, but not a huge loss imho. My opinion is somewhat tainted with never being able to forgive the Hawkins incident so perhaps it's very skewed.

Hantsaintsrus4
15 July, 2017 19:16
Calum will be involved in some big matches this year and if he plays well Jones will pick him. I hope stories of his shoulder injury,when at Saints, not receiving the best treatment are wrong or have been acted upon.

MESSAGES->author
Flook (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 20:20
Quote:
Walks11
then got banned for a short period.

32 weeks!

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 21:16
Quote:
Flook
Quote:
Walks11
then got banned for a short period.

32 weeks!
that wasn't the one i was referring too

Hantsaintsrus4
15 July, 2017 21:44
Was that when Tony Blair was in no.10? Calum now has an excellent discipline record considering the position he plays, get over it!

MESSAGES->author
Flook (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 21:51
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
Was that when Tony Blair was in no.10? Calum now has an excellent discipline record considering the position he plays, get over it!

Why the childish abuse? Walks corrected me on the ban he was referring to and I stand corrected, end of.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 22:30
Quote:
Flook
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

Why the childish abuse? Walks corrected me on the ban he was referring to and I stand corrected, end of.

Folks it's not a trivial matter. He deliberately broke someone's arm (imho, yada yada, arms don't go that direction when you have a block on, so only outcome is a break doing what he did). He should have a clean disciplinary record after that. For the record said the same after the incident and whilst he was a saints player so I'm not changing viewpoints now he had left. L Good servant for the saints, but let's not forget the club did support him and to suggest other wise is slightly wrong in my book

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 08:31
herbie85 sorry but I don't think you can state things like that as fact. Only Calum knows his intent and whilst you say the only outcome of his putting the lock on Hawkins arm was a break I think you're wrong. The break was likely caused by Wood rolling across Hawkins braced arm. That's the external force that caused the break and I am sure no one is suggesting that was anything but an accident. If the actual pressure resulting in the break was accidental then unless you're claiming collusion between Calum and Wood (which I am sure you're not) then I don't see how the only outcome was likely to be a break?

Calum was rightly banned and has had to get used to the reputation that action has given him. I thought his discipline has been exceptional until last seasons moment. He's played in countless games where he's been targetted because of that reputation and not responded but I think it will be a career long struggle for him to keep his aggression in check.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2017 11:38 by SaintED.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 09:12
St ed, I did say in my opinion, however do have some background and training in pins, holds etc around joints, pressure points etc. Arms don't go that way, it's part of body mechanics. Specifically told not to take arms and joints the way he did and past certain angles, as it tends to lead to broken bones. Watched it again and it's very little to do with wood, more to do with the Calum creating a block with his torso and pulling the arm round.

Anyway as I said, was a good servant for saints, hope he goes onto to have a good time at sarries, although not too good obviously!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2017 09:47 by herbie85.

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:11
I think the move will end up for the best for both parties. I'd imagine he'll do well and suit Sarries style of play. He was fantastic for us for a good stretch but it ran its course and you could see there wasn't the same fire in his game after the injury problems.
We have Tei Harrison coming through who is a storming back-row with the same aggressive breakdown approach but is also a better carrier than Calum. It's a crowded house with Gibson, Wood and Harrison (plus Nutley and Ludlum coming through at some point) - something had to give and I think Calum's departure is something we're well covered for.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:33
I like Calum... he was a good player but as above we have a lot of options. I would always pick wood, gibson and T ahead of him if form allows.

Is Gibson the most underrated player at Saints?

SaintED
SaintED (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:48
herbie85 I think we'll settle on agree to disagree but I would certainly agree that there are many different views out there even from people with experience in MMA. I was told the most likely result with that arm bar with no bearing pressure on the elbow is a shoulder dislocation as that's the pivot under maximum load. That's changed by Wood rolling back across Hawkins and transferring that pressure to the elbow joint. Ofc that is also just hs view and is not fact either. Apologies for the dogmatic tone above.

Duckonstilts, yes I think you're right he probably is. I am sad to see Calum move on but like other think it is perhaps the best for both parties. I certainly wouldn't want to lose any of Gibson, Harrison or Wood over Calum.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 12:43
Quote:
SaintED
herbie85 I think we'll settle on agree to disagree but I would certainly agree that there are many different views out there even from people with experience in MMA. I was told the most likely result with that arm bar with no bearing pressure on the elbow is a shoulder dislocation as that's the pivot under maximum load. That's changed by Wood rolling back across Hawkins and transferring that pressure to the elbow joint. Ofc that is also just hs view and is not fact either. Apologies for the dogmatic tone above.

Absolutely ed, would be boring if we all agreed. All in all, a good signing for sarries and a loss to us if not replaced well, although looking forward to see how eadie goes

Hantsaintsrus4
16 July, 2017 16:38
That's good then, we all agree he will play for England again if Sarries go well.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 11:02
Calum is a great club player but he doesn't have enough top end to be a international.

Hantsaintsrus4
17 July, 2017 12:24
I just think that Darries will improve his game, he will be in Jones sight in big games and like Dyls he can change. It will be interesting to see.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 14:35
Fwiw, I think that Calum plateaued a couple of seasons ago and then started trying too hard.
His long awaited return from injury last season was greeted by a yellow for a poorly timed high tackle if I recall correctly.

Speaking to a number of sarries fans (surrounded by them, well all 3 of them anyway) about his move and they don't want him there. The general feeling is that he is a thug and not for them.

I fear that he will struggle to get on terms with their mode of play and I have a suspicion that the temper may start to come into play once again if he struggles and only gets limited game time.

Not a huge loss for us imho, as his mind was elsewhere and his body had been broken for most of the last two seasons.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 20:42
If Calum is fit expect rave notices from London NW. One of the best breakdown competitors in the Prem, he's not paid to be a George Ford is he

Hantsaintsrus4
17 July, 2017 21:08
Just what England need

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 21:52
Saints offered him a contract, he was going to retire as he had fallen out of love with the game. He had spent the summer in Sierra Leone and it changed him apparantly. Since then he has been a nuesence behind the scenes...

Then Sarries come calling. If you go on the forum 95% call him a thug and dont want him, a bit rich considering they have Burger in their team.

I agree if the style of play doesnt suit him, he could lose his head and will corse problems for himself. I for one am disappointed how he has been considering the Saints have backed him and supported him through hos trouble times and feel its been a stab in the back from him

Time will tell

EBWGC
Eric Browett (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 07:17
Rubbish Alex. A few people at Sarries have got doubts about Callum, understandably, but 95%, you're having a laugh. Any new player has to win the supporters. We had our doubts about Marshall, Hamilton and Burger but they turned out to be great signings and good people. Callum will have the same opportunity and I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 13:15
put me down as a Calum fan. given our selection policy (no real 7) he was a perfect fit, and had the physical ability to trade up to lock for short periods.

never seen energy or commitment like it, and regardless of your opinion on the Hawkins incident he has clearly controlled himself these past 2-3 years, D O'Callahan attempted 'hit' apart.

the commitment he has and the effort he plays with, i think he'll suit Sarries down to the ground, and vice versa - as a club I'm sure he will benefit fromm the TLC and personal development they seem to apply to their squad.

and I wish him well, just not vs Saints.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net