rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Ford-Robinson
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 20:48
I just read in the Chronicle where Ford-Robinson is relishing his first run out for Saints that he is a tighthead.

I thought he was a loosehead? Or does he cover both sides of the scrum? When I YouTube'd him it showed him playing loosehead?

With two capped tightheads in Brookes and Hill surely he isn't a tighthead?

The_ Hulk
Re: Ford-Robinson
Since 1888 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 20:54
He is most definately a tight head, covered loose a couple of times for injury but tight is his position.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 21:00
Which leaves the recruitment policy a little bizarre given the bench loose head left? I know van wyk been signed also

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 21:01 by herbie85.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 21:02
Management clearly prefer Brookes so Hill's development may well continue to suffer unfortunately. It's a big season for both Brookes and Hill. Hill was on the periphery of an England place but has slipped well back and can Brookes really afford to move clubs again? If he's not careful he will end up like Doran Jones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 21:02 by andysaint.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 21:55
In which case we look strong at tight-head with great competition that will push all 3 to greater heights if managed smartly and all are given a chance.

But loosehead looks weaker in comparison, particularly if Waller or Ma'afu pick up an injury. Comparing to other teams Sarries have Vunipola and Kock for example.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 23:07
Well this is the conundrum

Mallinder and West built their success on the set piece, but over the last few years they have gone away from investing in experienced big lumps up front. Which is strange really.

I'd be more bullish if we'd spend marquee money on a top 5 world loosehead, I think it does make that much of a difference. And also nuanced the locks to recruit a multi-capped heavy unit in there. That's your base to build from.

If we are signing the flanker I've heard we are signing, it really signals a complete change in game plan to a hard pitch team. Interesting times although I can still see us leaking easy points and penalties at scrum time to Sarries and Tigers which is the difference between winning and losing. Here's hoping we don't.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 05:09
Interesting hungry, who is this flanker?

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 08:45
Ford-Robinson in for Denman then. TBH I wouldn't be surprised to see him work his way to first choice tight head. It is incredibly frustrating that both Brookes and Hill looked so lively upon arrival and have both dropped way off in form. For Hill of course it's lack of game time, and Brookes was a fitness issue. Hope the pack gets stabilised this season - i miss our rolling maul moving forward!

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 08:50
Quote:
SaintNice
Ford-Robinson in for Denman then. TBH I wouldn't be surprised to see him work his way to first choice tight head. It is incredibly frustrating that both Brookes and Hill looked so lively upon arrival and have both dropped way off in form. For Hill of course it's lack of game time, and Brookes was a fitness issue. Hope the pack gets stabilised this season - i miss our rolling maul moving forward!

I would put it a little stronger - not hope, but expect.

A season of being, quite frankly, embarrassed by our front row on many occasions, I shall be interested to see what difference the off-season brings.

Fat Prop
Fat Prop (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 10:52
On paper, prop should be an area of strength for us - 3 strong tight heads and 3 strong looseheads, with at least 1 experienced &/or international on each side, supported by younger and very promising players coming through.

We just need to get them performing to their potential - which didn't really happen last year ...

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:02
Hilly has a lot to learn and is very young still - the game v Leinster was a case in point as to why he isn't a starting TH

KB was messed up by the previous England regime.. 20 plus stone made him immobile - but he is 26, lets see how he looks this season with Sinckler the new lion and Cole, Williams and Collier all in Eddie's sights giving him more peer competition week in week out

Whether true or urban legend - the fact Eddie suggested not leaving any leftovers near KB (and his subsequent squad omissions) tells you he knows what he is expected to do

Jamal was an impact sub for Bristol - lets see how he goes before handing him the #3 jersey as 40 yard breaks by your starting tighthead aren't the reason he's on the pitch but could make a big difference on 60mins

All the top sides have 3 first choice props in each position - am surprised people are critical of us strengthening both sides of the scrum with Van Wyck and Jamal

Loose - Van Wyck, Waller, Ma-Afu
Tight - Brookes, Hill, Ford-Robinson

MESSAGES->author
11 August, 2017 11:41
Hello interloper here, just popped in to question why Ford-Robinson was playing loosehead for you tomorrow, but I see that he covers both loose and tight.

He looks a good player, who I think may well push Brookes for a starting place. Unless Saints want to him to switch sides?

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

SaintNice
SaintNice (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:42
And after all that he's starting at Loose Head tomorrow!

Rubadubdub; remember Seb Tubb?
11 August, 2017 18:49
Kieran Brookes looked very trim when my Mrs almost ran him over in town about a month ago!

MESSAGES->author
Jim H (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:29
He can also play hooker.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 09:20
But can he kick?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 10:53
Is he a potential replacement for Myler ?

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 16:32
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
But can he kick?

Lovely. That thought crossed my mind around the time of your post!

(Sm128)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net