rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Scrummy
So who stood out in the first friendly of the season?
Scrummy (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 17:40
I thought Lewis Ludlam starred today, he tackled everything and did good work at the breakdown.
Piers Francis went well - good distribution I thought, and I was impressed with James Grayson too.
Michael Paterson was everywhere and Ribbans had a good game at 6.

tedge
Re: So who stood out in the first friendly of the season?
tedge (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:20
Fairly typical friendly with lots of enterprising attacking although still the same culprits not passing the ball except as a last resort. Defensively inept at times but this is normal pre-season. Charlie Clare stood out for me and Grayson apart from one error looks mature for his age and appears to have grown since last season.Impossible to draw any conclusions - much too soon.

lost in duston
lost in duston (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:24
Grayson looked v promising.
9s worked well. liked the look of Mitchell as well
Ribbans/Gibson/Day/Paterson/Ludlam worked v well
liked the look of our new prop
ditto Eadie

The two Tom's played v well.

I think it shows something that Luther didn't. I hope he finds his mojo again.

St Marcus
St Marcus (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:25
Thought Mitch Eadie looked pretty good and certainly has some gas. Great to see Tom Stephenson back - lovely footwork for his try. Hard to draw much from a friendly like this but it was nice to be back at the Gardens.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 19:04
All very enjoyable apart from conceeding tries early in each half - sorry Fodes but that first one is completely down to you !

No apparent injuries apart from Tee which looked to be precautionary.

Nice touches from many players probably too many to mention here.

Piers missed a couple of fairly simple conversions - better miss them now than September !

Glasgow and Ulster will provide sterner tests from which we may learn a little more.

Garracc
Garracc (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:57
Enjoyable afternoon. Thought Grayson stood out, looked at ease and confident, can kick too(Sm14). Collins was great as ever, when will he ever get a run? Mikey was on form as ever.......why wasnt he first half captain.....just a thought. Thought all the new guys fitted in well. Cant really look on the second half as an equal chance to look at players in my opinion when we change 15 and the opposition doesnt but Harry looked good at fullback popping up in the line all over as well as using that huge boot to good effect. Would love a longer look at Francis but already like what i see. Overall though very optomistic for season ahead so long as we dont revert to same old faces doin same old thing. One last thing, loved seeing Dowse back, got involved in the warm up..... and the huddle....spot on.He is going to be the difference for me and hopefully the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 20:59 by Garracc.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 23:53
Garrac, as the Dragons other XV played at Montpelier yesterday (Friday night), you would have thought the clubs would have got together beforehand to discuss the day. Not sure how Dragons worked things but for example in theory they could have used up to 8 props between the 2 games, I suspect many of their bench players were there on match money rather than on full time contracts. It reminded me of the silly Anglo-Welsh game last season where the Saints chose their best XV and the Scarlets didn't.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 08:44
Difficult to see what the Dragons thought would be the benefit of taking half the squad to France to get stuffed by Montpellier extra thirds and half to face two decent saints teams and get stuffed again.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 10:39
Eif - maybe the clubs could have got together but if there are specific things Saints wanted to do then this is the time to do them, regardless of whether or not that's convenient for the Dragons who have chosen to split their squad across two different countries.
Saints have admitted they've not got it right in the last couple of pre-seasons, and fitting round someone else's plans would risk doing it again.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Saint 16
Saint 16 (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 12:14
Grayson looked classy and composed. He had some perfectly weighted chips through. Eadie had some gas. Ribbans in the back row was interesting too. Collins did what he's good at.

Still a good number of top players that weren't on show so squad starting to look good. Still feel we are missing a big lump of a player though. Is the pack heavy enough?

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 12:26
Quote:
Saint 16
Grayson looked classy and composed. He had some perfectly weighted chips through. Eadie had some gas. Ribbans in the back row was interesting too. Collins did what he's good at.
Still a good number of top players that weren't on show so squad starting to look good. Still feel we are missing a big lump of a player though. Is the pack heavy enough?

Worried about scrums

Field marshall
Field marshall (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 14:36
Hi Saints fans, Bris fan in peace!
How did Mitch and Jamal go? Do you think either could be pushing for a starting XV spot?

Scrummy
Scrummy (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 14:44
Jamal looked solid at loose head. Mitch played 8 and got around the park well. They played only half a game each so hard to judge about starting places but they both performed well.

Rinkadink
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:45
Quote:
Field marshall
Hi Saints fans, Bris fan in peace!
How did Mitch and Jamal go? Do you think either could be pushing for a starting XV spot?

Came to ask the same thing.

Glad they're impressing, look after them for us until they come home. winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net