rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

HungryLikeTheWolf
Reasons to be cheerful
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 22:28
We are where we are. The board 3 years ago had a nose bleed because we won the Prem for the first time and Jim was being touted as England coach. Nose bleed, threw out a 5 year contract. Since then we've regressed on the pitch and now lose money as an operation.

So we couldn't afford to move them on and now have to suck it up for 2 years. Bear in mind McCall and Baxter have 3 year contracts. We could have Johan Ackerman.... But we don't and we are stuck. So no moaning about the coaches they are here for 2 years.

The scrum was solid today (or better than last year). Attacking patterns were excellent. We offloaded a lot, ran good lines. We stopped or turned over about 4 or 5 Sarries attacking line outs. Lots of reasons to be cheerful about the coaching. Coaching is not management it is coaching. However the attitude stunk today. Not sure our players would spill blood for the coaches. Sorry, enough anecdotes and noise... I am hoping and expecting that Horne, Brussouw, Reinach come in some and bring some personality, honour and culture change.

Regardless we have to take the hit for 2 years, try to find a billionaire and get Wayne Smith. In the meantime just get behind the players.

We will beat Tigers next week. Nailed on. Think we will all be surprised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 22:45 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

fleetg
Re: Reasons to be cheerful
fleetg (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 22:32
Have you been drinking HLTW

HungryLikeTheWolf
02 September, 2017 22:33
Haven't most of us?

The post is pretty fair, better than the reactive dross below. Both doom-mongers and sycophants....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 22:39 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 22:39
Wayne Smith couldn't do it before and wouldn't be interested now

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 22:45
For a moment just reflect on the state of supporter morale if we lose against Tigers.
It could be a resignation event.

HungryLikeTheWolf
02 September, 2017 22:49
Quote:
tedge
Wayne Smith couldn't do it before and wouldn't be interested now

All Blacks coach as they've created the greatest team to ever play the game....he learnt stuff at the gardens (need big forwards etc). He would be superb now and get the pride in shirt, culture, respect to fans... different level to what we have now.

Johan Ackerman has done that in one month at Glaws.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 09:52
I like this thread, at least we are trying to find positives one game in. I only watched the first half, so can only base my findings on that. I didn't see attacking patterns being any where near excellent. I saw very predictable rugby in attack, poor defence and a complete lack of basic skills and pride in that display, albeit we probably improved in the second half when the game was over (couldn't have got much worse). My positive is that was the first game, there is still time. My reason to be cheerful is It surely cannot get too much worse. We have two seasoned international recruits to come into it. We have Francis, north and hopefully tei to come back into it, I'm probably missing others.

Groundhog7
Groundhog7 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 10:22
Quote:
herbie85
I like this thread, at least we are trying to find positives one game in. I only watched the first half, so can only base my findings on that. I didn't see attacking patterns being any where near excellent. I saw very predictable rugby in attack, poor defence and a complete lack of basic skills and pride in that display, albeit we probably improved in the second half when the game was over (couldn't have got much worse). My positive is that was the first game, there is still time. My reason to be cheerful is It surely cannot get too much worse. We have two seasoned international recruits to come into it. We have Francis, north and hopefully tei to come back into it, I'm probably missing others.

Yes, I saw a lot of one out runners and lateral back play. First up tackling was a comedy routine. Essential that Harrison comes back in next week, it'd be good to have a forward aside from Lawes that wins collisions.

Reason to be cheerful - there will undoubtedly be a reaction next week, there simply has to be. Imagine that Dowson, Hartley + Wood will create a siege mentality in the dressing room this week and ensure everyone is revved up.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 11:46
Never thought I would agree with the OP.

If we can put our presumed first choice back line on the pitch we will win games

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 13:45
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Haven't most of us?
The post is pretty fair, better than the reactive dross below. Both doom-mongers and sycophants....

"Many people are saying my posts are the best posts, the best posts ever. With the best words and the best views. Many people"

This is getting beyond ridiculous. 🙄

HungryLikeTheWolf
03 September, 2017 14:05
Quote:
higgy365
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Haven't most of us?

"Many people are saying my posts are the best posts, the best posts ever. With the best words and the best views. Many people"

You alright sweetheart?

HungryLikeTheWolf
03 September, 2017 14:09
Quote:
higgy365
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Haven't most of us?

MAKE NORTHAMPTON GREAT AGAIN.

Bigly.

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 14:15
I'm fine, and I'm not your sweetheart.

HungryLikeTheWolf
03 September, 2017 14:34
Ok sugar @#$%&

chappers_saint
chappers_saint (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 17:08
Quote:
higgy365

Can I be your sweetheart?

The only positive I can draw is that Wood and Lawes seem as hungry as ever. Wood needs a way back into England and Lawes needs to show Itoje who is boss.

HungryLikeTheWolf
03 September, 2017 20:13
I'm still working on Higgy I'm afraid, I like the chase

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 20:45
Quote:
chappers_saint
Quote:
higgy365

The only positive I can draw is that Wood and Lawes seem as hungry as ever. Wood needs a way back into England and Lawes needs to show Itoje who is boss.

Love it when the "Old Boys" stick together ;-) .....

chappers_saint
chappers_saint (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 21:02
Quote:
Happywifehappylife
Quote:
chappers_saint
Quote:
higgy365

Love it when the "Old Boys" stick together ;-) .....

Missed you too! 😘

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 07:53
Maybe we need some kind of catchphrase like "why not us" (oh know we've done that one) how about .......

answers on a post card please.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 10:29
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Never thought I would agree with the OP.
If we can put our presumed first choice back line on the pitch we will win games

Will win games, will beat Sarries / Chiefs? Maybe not.

The pack have to create broken play by getting over the gainline and offloading on their feet or getting a maul rolling so that the defense are on the back foot and the backline are running onto the ball.

It largely doesnt matter how good your backs are if they have to play the ball off the back of a ruck with an organised 15 man line infront of them every time, they won't often be able to do much with it.

Back when the slide in form started and Saints backline were getting roasted for creating nothing and getting turned over, a lot of the real issue was the pack failing to get on the front foot. Picamoles was an inspired signing to rectify that but with him gone there is every danger we will regress regardless of how much class is brought in from 9 to 15.

HungryLikeTheWolf
04 September, 2017 10:43
Good post thanks MarchingIn agree, really lacked ball carrying apart from Louis and Tei. If we start playing Wood, Gibson, Eadie then I fear for us...

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 11:56
One of our best ball carrying forwards is often Mikey. But he is behind Dylan. Tei puts in big shifts but if he does it all on his own he becoms predictable. We need at least 3 forwards taking on the job. If Courtney can keep up the good work from last season then he has vastly improved ball in hand.

As harsh as it is we need to stop picking the same old players that got us here. I am not saying they are all bad players but they need a kick up the bum and to regain the hunger.

jimcondie
Earlsbris (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 14:19
How did Eadie get on before picking up an injury? Missed the game - hopefully it isn't too serious as if he continues to progress this season like he did last season you've picked up a v good prospect

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 14:27
Earlsbris, he was part of the side that shipped 7 tries in one half. Enough said I think

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net