rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Well done JP Doyle
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 22:59
It was good to see JP manage the flashpoints with some common sense and the game remarkably passed without major controversy.

If the ref isn't the focus of discussions after a Midlands derby it's a good indicator he has done a fine job. So thank you and well done to JP.

As an aside it also made me wonder if the powers that be have finally cottoned on that He who shall not be named's style of refereeing (An unmatched encyclopaedic knowledge of the laws of the game sadly coupled with a pedantic application of the strict laws of the game that lacks empathy and common sense) is not best suited to a heated derby given he has not been given the game for a while?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 23:06 by SaintMaul.

Eif Jones
Re: Well done JP Doyle
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 00:46
Now, now, it was a relatively easy game to referee as there was such a difference between the sides. I find it difficult to recall any flashpoints, they are more likely to occur when the game is close and both sides think they can win, Leicester were never in that position. Your nameless usually had the game when one score made a difference.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 06:51
Eif, there were flashpoints but he knocked them on the head early on by talking to the captains and explaining what he expected. As any decent ref would.

It was not all as one sided as you suggest. At scrum time it would have been easy to just pick the tigers as dominant and ping us all day but we got a fair reflection of the two teams. Hence why we improved later on a little.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 07:03
Quote:
Eif Jones
I find it difficult to recall any flashpoints.

Watch the replay on the premiership site and you'll see quite a few

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 07:24
Well said SaintMaul. Refs often get criticised on here but not so often get praise when deserved. Eif must have slept through the flashpoints.

charlieemeriau
charlieemeriau (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:09
Agreed I thought JP did well, he is a good ref.
Toomua should have gone to the bin before half time IMO, but they came back on and he told Ford you are still on a warning and true enough the next guy that infringed went to the bin on behalf of his team.

and the other ref that shall not be named, slows the game down too much, if there is a couple of European game and it's a choice between watching one refereed by him or Nigel Owens/Romain Poite/Jerome Garces/Mathieu Reynal, I would pick one of the latter... he might be right in term of the letter of the law, but as to watch an entertaining game of rugby he is at the bottom of my list.

Obviously being French, the worst referee awards always goes to Craig Joubert... terrible!!! a link to remind you of his crime if any of you are interested. I am sure there a few Scots that would agree with me.

[www.youtube.com]

Joe Davison
11 September, 2017 08:12
I thought he was ok. The ref link was very useful. My only - perhaps one-eyed in places - view would be:

1. Brookes was never going to get a decision out of him, rightly or wrongly, from minute one. Genge may well be the best prop the world has ever seen. Was equal attention given to Waller and Cole on the other side? Didn't look like it. Touch judges could help but I believe the ref dictates how much assistance they want from them.

2. He seemed to give some helpful advice to a couple of the Leicester players after a few breakdowns. A couple of mins before sin-binning Mike Williams, after a ruck, he says to him "go through the gate next time". He also said to Harry Thacker "you've got to release the player before going in on the ball" at a ruck. All very helpful but aren't these penalties that should be given and then the guidance given to the offending players? I appreciate refs can warn players about offences like a borderline tackle - "tackle lower" etc but actual offences that he hasn't pinged and then just having a polite word afterwards??? Not happy with that. He may well have given the same advice to Saints players but I'm not aware.

3. Could/should the no-arms tackle been reviewed and given as a yellow card offence by itself, rather than the accumulation of offences, that it was given for?

4. I don't know if his chats on 'flashpoints' really did work. There was plenty going on off of the ball.

5. He needs to turn the reflink off at half time. I think I heard him visiting the gents.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:53
overall I think he did pretty well albeit in not a particularly difficult derby game to ref. a couple of minor points I thought could have been handled differently..

1. Toomua should have gone to the bin for a deliberate knock on
2. he rightly warned both captains to cut out the 'afters' and then did nothing when Cole threw the ball into the head of a prone saints player after the whistle. petty yes but it was after a warning to cut the petty stuff out. nothing mentioned. Fine player that Cole is I really don't like that part of his game
3. Rightly or wrongly Brookes was chief culprit for scrum offences, could/should have carded him.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 13:11
Quote:
Walks11
3. Rightly or wrongly Brookes was chief culprit for scrum offences, could/should have carded him.

Brookes was probably saved by the fact he warned Genge more than once as well, and the fact we subbed him on half time. If Genge had been whiter than white, and Brookes may have been binned, but every time Genge got warned, the reset or next scrum completed OK.

If Tigers had staged a stunning comeback in the 2nd half I suspect we would be a bit more critical of the generally lenient reffing of Tigers in the last minutes of the first half as it was clear they were infringing at will to stop a score. If the game had been closer Tigers themselves may well have been a bit more upset that their scrum dominance did not result in a yellow, and an iffy penalty we got where I couldn't actually see an offence.

As it is, JP did pretty well, because the net result of his interventions was fairly even and he didn't make it about himself... Rather JP than Barnes any day!

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 16:05
So he had to be prompted by the TMO to review Dylan's try as he gave it as held up.

Sin bin was for foul play not related to previous.

Didn't sin bin anyone before HT.

Allowed Dan Cole to flop his beer gut over every tackle and ruck without penalty.

Wasn't a very feisty game as Tigs weren't up for it. I think JP got lucky personally, though it's nice when the officials in the end don't influence the allocation of thevpoints

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 18:15
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
So he had to be prompted by the TMO to review Dylan's try as he gave it as held up.
Sin bin was for foul play not related to previous.

Didn't sin bin anyone before HT.

He awarded the try and gave a yellow card.

So you are unhappy because he didn't award the try immediately (Dylan asked him to review it and he did) and because he didn't give a yellow at the end of the first half but did at the start of the 2nd half?

He warned Ford at the start of the 2nd half as Tigers Captain the yellow card warning remained. He told the sin-binned player it was cumulative team yellow card.

If those are the worst things you can think of; it sounds like he did a pretty good job.

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 20:26
A fine arbiter of the gentlemans game. Bravo Sir!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net