rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Nath-coys
Team selection for Friday?
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:23
After a much improved Performance in the EM Derby.

What's your selection for Bath gents? smiling smiley

Waggydog
Re: Team selection for Friday?
Waggydog (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:39
I'd reward some excellent performances with a largely consistent selection but also have a mini mix up in the pack as I think Brookes needs a week off. I also really want to see Api get a start.

1 Waller
2 Hartley
3 Hill
4 Api
5 Day
6 Lawes
7 Gibson
8 Harrison

9 Groom
10 Mallinder
11 Collins
12 Burrell
13 Horne
14 North
15 Tuala

16 Mikey
17 Ma'afu
18 Ford Robinson
19 Paterson
20 Ludlam
21 Cobus
22 Grayson
23 Foden

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:41
Come on Nath, we do have female supporters as well.

John Rickerd
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:48
I wood like to see Api start as well, but that would be hard on Paterson who was very good last Sat. Otherwise I like your team.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:57
Don't be pedantic now! Guys as in plural for a group of people! Lol

As for me.....

1. Waller
2. Hartley
3. Brooke's
4. Day
5. Api/ Ribbans
6. Courts
7. Gibson
8. T

Backs unchanged.

Reasoning...

I accept there is a problem at the scrum, but I am also not convinced Hill is the answer I'm afraid. I'm not sure we do have an answer which slightly worries!

Second rows were both good against Tigers but I think with bath having a meaty pack we need to have some extra grunt in there. I really like ribbans but not sure if he is fit atm.
And with courts and Gibson in the back row we won't be short of lineout jumpers.

And after a impressive showing in the backs I stay unchanged there. Hope Luther builds on last week.
Think he is going really benefit from the organisation and experience of Horne outside him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 17:58 by Nath-coys.

StGonne
StGonne (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:11
Quote:
Nath-coys
Don't be pedantic now! Guys as in plural for a group of people! Lol
As for me.....

1. Waller
2. Hartley
3. Brooke's
4. Day
5. Api/ Ribbans
6. Courts
7. Gibson
8. T

Backs unchanged.

Reasoning...

I accept there is a problem at the scrum, but I am also not convinced Hill is the answer I'm afraid. I'm not sure we do have an answer which slightly worries!

Second rows were both good against Tigers but I think with bath having a meaty pack we need to have some extra grunt in there. I really like ribbans but not sure if he is fit atm.
And with courts and Gibson in the back row we won't be short of lineout jumpers.

And after a impressive showing in the backs I stay unchanged there. Hope Luther builds on last week.
Think he is going really benefit from the organisation and experience of Horne outside him.

You said "gents" Nath tongue sticking out smiley.

You're right though, agree with your selection but would put Jamal F-R in for Brookes, he's been having stormers playing for the wandies

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:15
Oh bloody hell I did!! Hahaha

Well it's an open floor anyway!! Lol

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 19:15
Assuming Wood & Ribbans still out, I very much like the look of the side Waggydog has listed.

Paterson did indeed play really well... but, you cannot escape the fact he's on the light side for a lock and the scrum was either going down with Brookes, or backwards with Hill. My inclination is to stick the biggest lock we have (Api) in the engine room behind Hill and see what happens. One of the two tight heads has to make way for JFR anyway as he's been in beast mode with the ball in hand for the Wandies and why on earth wouldn't you harness that and give him a go? I believe he can pack down either side so potentially could sub in at 1 instead of Ma'afu, but he has to play for me.

The change I would make regardless of the scoreline is to use the bench a bit more this week from 1-9 especially if the game is as intense up front. Given how we lost games in the last 10 minutes last season I do understand the reluctance to do so, but last week it perhaps cost us a bonus point opportunity not subbing a few of the pack a little earlier and really turning the screw with fresh legs. We were never under huge pressure, but we had Tigers on the ropes for a while and then was the time to press the advantage home for me - I would definitely have had Api and probably Ludlam and Ma'afu on several minutes earlier.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 19:44
It's a difficult one. They have to sensibly rotate in September with 5 games to play and each is as important as the rest. Irish's early win shows they are no pushovers so they can't just change the side for that game. I think 2 or 3 changes over the next 3 games might be a good idea to keep all fresh.

For Bath I'd take Brookes out of the firing line and put Ford-Robinson in. I'd also see about swapping Day for Api or Day for Ribbans if fit.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 20:10
Kieran Brookes failed an HIA at half time. It's not clear when he took a knock but it obviously didn't help him. As he won't have trained and it's a short turnaround, I suspect he might have to be rested.
He was pretty good against Sarries and he's not the first to get done by Genge. He looks altogether fitter this year.

JFR is dynamic in the loose. He'll be fine off the bench covering 3. Forget him for 1; he's a tight head.

George North had a groin problem against Tigers. If he fails to make it, Fodes will come in. Both Jamie Elliot and Ken Pisi were injured in the Wandies game. Jamie as a result of an horrendous challenge that could easily have been a red card. It could be Tom Stephenson or JP on the bench.

charlieemeriau
charlieemeriau (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 20:39
Patterson has to be in for me, and Reinach at scrum half... I thing that Groom is good but I would like to see more from a scrum half.

1 Waller
2 Hartley
3 Hill
4 Patterson
5 Day
6 Lawes
7 Gibson
8 Harrison

9 Reinach
10 Mallinder
11 Collins
12 Burrell
13 Horne
14 North
15 Tuala

16 Mikey
17 Ma'afu
18 Ford Robinson
19 Api
20 Ludlam
21 Groom
22 Grayson
23 Foden

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 20:43
Wow, what more did Groome have to do?

Thought he had a great game, his control, decision making and speed of ball was top notch

Hollywood JK
Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 20:49
I would like to see Hill given a start for once!!

Former Hollywood Saint
12 September, 2017 21:00
Surely JFR gets a look in after scoring 3 tries in 2 Wandies games? Certainly if Brookes is losing his edge over the past few games. Got to be Hill or JFR in my mind.

FHS

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 21:26
Is Tom Wood still not available?

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 23:00
Don't change a winning team.
We can get at Bath's scrum & need put their line-out under as much pressure as possible.

Field position will be critical.

Sent from the toilet

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 07:43
Injuries aside, I would swap Brooke's for JFR mainly for rotation purposes and keep the rest as they were.

Backs clicked so no changes needed there.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 07:59
Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint
Surely JFR gets a look in after scoring 3 tries in 2 Wandies games? Certainly if Brookes is losing his edge over the past few games. Got to be Hill or JFR in my mind.

FHS

Agree with this, JFR wandies form and England tour in the summer suggests he needs game time, bizarre if he doesn't get at least a bench spot regardless of Brookes fitness. Paterson has to be in for me, brings a lot to the table and his work around the park is almost like another back row.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 08:42
Kieran's name is Brookes, not Brooke's. Is it that tricky ?

He gets enough stick on here without having his name misspelt so often.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 08:44
Same issue with Calum Clarke & Steven Myler.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:31
Putting an apostrophe in anybody's name is the absolute limit of absurdity [:wor kid:]

Same team if all fit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 09:33 by tedge.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:37
I think we should definitely pay Ben Foden's and Tom Collins' on the wing's *

saintsfella
saintsfella (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:43
I think Groom has to start- he was excellent last week and Cobus can't expect to walk into a winning team like that off the back of a <10min cameo. Neither would he expect that.

If fit, I would like to see Api and Ribbans given a run in the second row together. Perfect balance of agility and muscle for me. That being said, I would struggle to drop Pato after his performance on Saturday. Day for me is getting a bit slower around the park and lost a bit of his oomph but won't write him off just yet!

In terms of the scrum, I understand that Bath are having somewhat of a propping crisis- I think maybe this is a good opportunity to give Hill a run out (against a hopefully lesser front row). Brookes has been given enough chances in my opinion. Again, not writing him off but doesn't say much for the confidence of Hill if he can't oust an underperforming starter?

I agree with the strategy of Robbie though, go at their lineout again and try to dominate the set piece. Bath are a different animal then. That being said the giant welsh second row (who's name randomly eludes me) is fairly handy at collecting ball as is Garvey.

COYS!

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:47
Charteris Saintsfella smiling smiley

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:48
Luke Charteris's

saintsfella
saintsfella (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:35
That's the b*gger!

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:45
Quote:
Box kick it
I think we should definitely pay Ben Foden's and Tom Collins' on the wing's *

+1'S

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:34
in defense of the spelling, I don't think predictive text is totally up to speed with all of the Saints players.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:35
I also thought Groom's was excellent, let's not forget it was his clever interplay with Collin's's that set up his try.

Having said that Reinach's probably doe's need a little more than five minutes off the bench to get some game time and have the opportunity to play even better.

'S

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:43
I think Brookes' confidence has taken a knock.

I would give him some game time against 'lesser' opponents so that he can truly nail them.

So, I would like to see either JFR or Hill to start with Brookes to come on as a finisher. He may not be the kind of player that can take advantage of a tiring opposition in the loose, but he may just be able to grind out some penalties against 2nd choice looseheads.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 13:32
After a bit of a torrid start against Genge we were surprised to see Brookes go off at half time because for the last 10-15 minutes of the half he seemed to have stopped the penalties coming against him. If his substitution was for an HIA then that makes more sense.

For the team for Friday night, I'll go with minimal changes, but would prefer to see some earlier substitutions:

1. Ma'afu (Waller to the bench for a bit of a break)
2. Dylan (picks himself ... and I liked that Mikey got a decent runout on Saturday)
3. Hill (give Brookes at least the week off given the HIA and allow for some rotation)
4. Ribbans (bit more ballast to the pack than Day)
5. Paterson (very impressed with his performance last week)
6. Courtney
7. Gibson
8. Teimana
9. Groom
10. Mallinder
11. Collins
12. Burrell
13. Horne
14. North
15. Api

16. Mikey
17. Waller
18. Ford-Robinson
19. Api
20. Wood
21. Foden
22. Reinach (to come on around 60 mins for a decent enough run out)
23. Grayson

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:00
many have criticised Jim for taking someone off at the 60min mark when they are having a great game and do substitutions by number?

Now we saying bring Cobus on and give him enough time to impress and should have had more than 5mins last week?

Groom was having a great game last week, so why take him off, if he does the same again this week, do u Still drag him off?

Seems Jim can't win can he?

Surely you see how the players are playing, wot the gps devices are telling you etc and then make a decision? Yes have a game plan for replacements, but it's just a plan that can and should change

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 15:27
Quote:
Box kick it
Luke Charteris's

Was instrumental in our defeat away to Racing Metro two seasons ago if I remember correctly. We could not get the ball past him at the lineout.

ancient mariner
ancient mariner (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 17:12
Quote:
Sans Culottes
Quote:
Box kick it
Luke Charteris's

Was instrumental in our defeat away to Racing Metro two seasons ago if I remember correctly. We could not get the ball past him at the lineout.

According to the Bath Chronicle Charteris is working off an HIA so will not be available: -

"Chris Cook and Charteris are both going through return-to-play concussion protocols after the Sarries game and are unavailable, but England forwards Charlie Ewels and Sam Underhill are both fit after heel and ankle injuries respectively."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 17:28 by ancient mariner.

Harpole Saint
Harpole Saint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 22:11
I know api has a bit more ballast but at full back I think he could be put to use in the forward pack? Ace?

DesboroughSaint
DesboroughSaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 22:24
Groom was brilliant last week, played like a French 9 in the second half giving mallinder an easier time. Brilliant! Cobus is a top signing though so will be great to see a bit more time this week... longer term I'd assume reinach would start and groom finish but very excited to see them both, as it's one of my favourite positions

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:12
Quote:
Harpole Saint
I know api has a bit more ballast but at full back I think he could be put to use in the forward pack? Ace?

Good spot! I'd originally had him in the starting 15 so must have been thinking of him as soon as I typed the capital 'A' for 'Ace'.

And, Neil-H, I very nearly annotated Groom with 'unless he's playing another blinder, in which case let's keep him on'! :-)

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net