fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:47
[quote Nath-coys]Still not sure it is what we need.[/quote

For all we know Woody may be leaving at the end of the season]

MESSAGES->author
Re: Brussow is a go...
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:00
FWF raises a fair point, otherwise I'd be inclined to agree with Nath. There also have to be doubts about what level Brussow will be at after playing at a lower level for several seasons. A top level prop and an 8 would appear to be bigger needs than (another) flanker.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:05
How is this going to impact on our academy? We seem to be signing a number of overseas players at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
Ishmael (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:19
With Saints healthy contingent of South Africans,will other boards be referring to them as Northampton SAints?*

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:21
If they do Ishmael, it would be fair enough.

I look forward to seeing what he can do.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:53
T has said in the Chron that his preferred position is now 8 - interesting as EJ has stated that he sees him as a 7 for England.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:54
I'm still not sure what to think of this signing.
He's not a Picamoles replacement, and we have lots of good options at flanker Gibson, Wood, , with Ludlum Breaking through & Courtney as a back up 6. & Teimana recognised by England but not us and struggling to get a game at 7. & of course Nutley as the ever present back up! Don't think flanker was what we needed but I'd love to be proved wrong. If his presence stops Ludlum or Harrison's progress and they move on elsewhere, however , I would be a very bitter fan!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 10:55 by St.Sinner.

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:05
There. Has. To. Be. Competition. For. Places.

Complacency kills.

Sent from the toilet

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:14
See this as a Matfield-esque signing.

Big players for big games and someone T, Lewis and Ben will improve from in the long term.

He will certainly bring a mental edge if his previous form is any indicator.

A backrow of Wood, Brussow T with Lewis on the bench is right up there in terms of intensity and aggression.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:18
There. Also. Needs. Too. Be. A. Balance. Too. The. Squad.

Overcrowding of one position causes boredom and stagnation of players who deem themselves surplus too requirements.

We have 5 or 6 very good flankers. But are probably lacking a top number 8.
(Eaddie might be)

We don't have any real top class props in my opinion so to me the Pack is unbalanced.

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:51
Quote:
LeicesterSaint
T has said in the Chron that his preferred position is now 8 - interesting as EJ has stated that he sees him as a 7 for England.
Does he see him in the picture at all I wonder? Of all the players that EJ has tossed aside - rightly or wrongly - I think T must be the most hard done by. Part of the Aussie triumph and then .............

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 12:06
Makes sense to me and a great signing

6. Wood, Gibson
7. Lewis, Brussow
8. Eadie & T

Nutley covers 6 & 7. Lawes and patterson can cover 6 and Gibson and wood can cover 7.

Lewis can learn a lot from Brussow.

Great signing.

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 13:38
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
6. Wood, Gibson
7. Lewis, Brussow
8. Eadie & T

Nutley covers 6 & 7. Lawes and patterson can cover 6 and Gibson and wood can cover 7.

Great signing.

I don't think its quite that straightforward for Lewis. He will be keen to see where he sits in the pecking order over the next few weeks.

He was fit and available for Tigers on the back of a credible full debut, but a pseudo 7 (Gibson) was selected ahead of him. Not a big concern in its own right as he is young, it was a huge game and he needs to be eased in gently and ultimately it got the right result.

I'd expect the same line up on Friday (momentum, tough challenge etc.) but I think the selection for London Irish the week after will give Lewis a much better idea of where he sits in the pecking order.

If he feels he is going to be a genuine one of two with Broussow for the 7 shirt next season I think he will see his future at the club, if on the other hand he is going to be behind Broussow and a bunch of other more senior players who can cover 7 (Wood, Gibson, Harrison) then he will probably feel his future is away from the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.

I really hope that isn't the case as I have said on here before, I rate him highly.

MESSAGES->author
13 September, 2017 13:57
now confirmed on t'offy, make it a story Eds!!! [www.northamptonsaints.co.uk]

Sent from the toilet

MESSAGES->author
13 September, 2017 14:00
The club have made the Brussow signing official, he'll be a Saint from January once the Japanese season finishes.

MESSAGES->author
13 September, 2017 14:10
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
6. Wood, Gibson
7. Lewis, Brussow
8. Eadie & T

Great signing.

He is a 31 year old whose team was in the Japanese 2nd tier last season. I get the impression that he was superb for the Springboks at the start of the decade, but I'm perplexed as to why this is a great signing in the here and now. I hope he's the best thing since Bruce Reihana, but can anybody honestly say that we know what we're getting with Brussow?

Come January he's a Saint and he'll have my complete support, but I can't really get too excited about this one. It smacks of somebody looking for one last pay cheque and we have a pretty chequered history of late when it comes to overseas signings, many of whom have ended up making up the numbers on Monday nights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 14:11 by Abington Adam.

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:13
Can I just say you have a hell of a coup here if he can still perform at the top.

An example of a player we picked up from the Japanese league is Nili Latu, who has been an absolute machine for us.

If Brussow can adapt to the Premiership and still compete at the very top, then you will have a hell of a player that will cause a lot of disruption in open play slowing down ball and giving your defence time to set And just being a pest, but will also just run hard, superb signing.

By the way, as a Newcastle supporter we have loads of foreigners and polynesions in our side and our academy is the strongest it's ever been.

He should/could bring a lot to the club, like Nili has done with ours.

StGonne
StGonne (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:29
I think Rugbyinsideline deserves a pat on the back here. Called this signing months ago as with all our other signings. He (she?) clearly has a very reliable contact at the club.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:32
Quote:
falconsfan07
Can I just say you have a hell of a coup here if he can still perform at the top.
An example of a player we picked up from the Japanese league is Nili Latu, who has been an absolute machine for us.

If Brussow can adapt to the Premiership and still compete at the very top, then you will have a hell of a player that will cause a lot of disruption in open play slowing down ball and giving your defence time to set And just being a pest, but will also just run hard, superb signing.

By the way, as a Newcastle supporter we have loads of foreigners and polynesions in our side and our academy is the strongest it's ever been.

He should/could bring a lot to the club, like Nili has done with ours.

Good post. I'm seeing this as a signing of a player who not so long back was regarded at least equal best 7 in the world (McCaw etc taken into account) in a successful south Africa side. One of the best over the ball I've seen personally. Hes coming at an age where back rowers can still operate effectively. Although he's not coming until January, he will be coming off the back of the Japanese season and so should be there or there about a in terms of match fitness. We also have a few saffas about and so any integration should be straightforward. Lets look forward to seeing him and what he brings rather than any pessimism as to back row make ups etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 14:38 by herbie85.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:22
I seem to be the only one ( well the minority anyway ) who is happy with the signing
You do wonder if Wasps supporters complained so much when they signed George Smith
What a fantastic mentor for both T and Lewis

Wood and Gibson almost cancel each other out when they play together
After the Tigers game I would say our best 6 is Courtney
I don't think we have had balance in the back row for some time - this could be a game changer

Waggydog
Waggydog (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:36
I think this is a brilliant signing and completely agree about how his mentoring could help T and Lewis in the long term.

Great stuff, very happy!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:45
Well if he can get back to this [www.youtube.com]

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:48

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 17:06
Tremendous work over the ball at the tackle. Very strong ball carrier a la Picamoles.

Great signing.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 17:29
With having a slightly easier time of it in Japan for the last couple of years could mean he comes to Saints in a far better condition than many other players of his age. If he's 90% of what he was he will be still outstanding, great signing.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 18:18
The South Africans I know are pretty excited about this signing. Ok not an 8 but its amazing what two or three world class players can do to raise the overall confidence of a team.
Im looking forward to seeing him play and I hope he will really help T and Lewis become even better.

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 20:25
Welcome Heinrich good luck good games and good health. When I think of some of our great servants from SA I remember the legend that was Gary Pagel, ditto Ackerman (Actionman) Van Velze. So lets give the guy a warm FG reception and see eh?

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 20:25
Welcome Heinrich good luck good games and good health. When I think of some of our great servants from SA I remember the legend that was Gary Pagel, ditto Ackerman (Actionman) Van Velze. So lets give the guy a warm FG reception and see eh?

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 21:05
He doesn't become a bad player by playing in a lesser standard just may take him a little time mentally and physically to get up to speed. He could give us what Louw gives Bath a real menace at the breakdown

DesboroughSaint
DesboroughSaint (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 21:36
4 Lawes
5 Ribbans
6 Brussow
7 Ludlam
8 Harrison

Looks like a pretty dynamic back 5 to finish a game for me! At 31 not sure why the Brussow signing is being remotely questioned. I reckon he'd make a great sub bringing supercharged intensity... and if he's anyway near as good as his springbok days he will be a nailed on starter. Our flankers are good but there's no jackal, not in the same league. Clarke got good at this so see it as a replacement for him, and Uarrison will be an 8 if Eadie is unfit. Worst caseTom wood can do a job at 8 which wouldn't be the end of the world

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 07:25
Excited to see what he can do, the jackal is a skill we've never really harnessed, every now and then you saw Clark make 3-4 tuenovers in a game. To my mind it's really valuable if you can get that tactic working for you. A bit like the Irish with their choke tackle tactics, it can be a real game winner.

This mentoring suggestion is an interesting one, we all thought the same with Matfield, did that really transpire? Certainly we've got the potential in players like Waller, Hill, Harrisson who occasionally get a turnover or two. If they could start to do that more frequently it would be exciting times. Waller in particular seems to have very good tenchnique getting over the ball, maybe if he was given a week off once EVER he might be able to come into a game with that litttle bit of extra energy to make turnovers?

The real question however; Is Brussow Jim's "Picamoles replacement" or do we have a new 8 lined up also?

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 07:36
Good Question. Did Neal-H ever confirm if any of the recent announcements were the signing he had been told about?

Lamont4Saints
14 September, 2017 07:51
Do you think we still need an 8 if Harrison goes to 8 full time?
Eadie and Harrison would be great choices at 8.

Padmon
Padmon (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 08:10
Sounds like a great signing. Australia got to the World Cup Final with "Pooper" which shows that the conventional 6, 7, 8 is not the only or best option.

Joe Davison
14 September, 2017 10:33
Welcome Heinrich.

I have to say, some of the reactions to our 2 latest signings have been a bit harsh IMHO. A current British Lion fly half and a player who has been up there as one of the best 7s in the world? And they're not good enough for a 7th place premiership club?

Louis is/was a one off type of player. There's not many who could replace him.

Also, to the comments re Lewis getting an idea of his place in the pecking order within the coming weeks? Bit of short term thinking, no? He's young. He played the whole of the Saracens game and played last week. If he doesn't feel he's part of the squad, I'm lost.

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:37
Quote:
Toulousian Firefighter
Welcome Heinrich.
Also, to the comments re Lewis getting an idea of his place in the pecking order within the coming weeks? Bit of short term thinking, no? He's young. He played the whole of the Saracens game and played last week. If he doesn't feel he's part of the squad, I'm lost.

He played 10 minutes last week after a very good performance at Twickenham.

He's on the bench tomorrow.

Next week Wood is back - I stand by my point we will start to understand his place in the pecking order better over the coming weeks.

MESSAGES->author
14 September, 2017 12:00
Quote:
Toulousian Firefighter
Welcome Heinrich.
I have to say, some of the reactions to our 2 latest signings have been a bit harsh IMHO. A current British Lion fly half and a player who has been up there as one of the best 7s in the world? And they're not good enough for a 7th place premiership club?

Louis is/was a one off type of player. There's not many who could replace him.

I'm delighted with the Dan Biggar signing, but note that you talk about Biggar in the present tense and Brussow's credentials in the past tense. That's my issue, we're expected to be ecstatic about this signing based on the player he used to be? If he turns out to be that player again whilst wearing black, green & gold I'll be delighted but for me the jury's out until he proves that he can still compete at a decent level.

MESSAGES->author
Connorman (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 12:32
Quote:
Abington Adam
..for me the jury's out until he proves that he can still compete at a decent level.

I guess Heinrich will try extra hard to prove his worth to you personally!

MESSAGES->author
14 September, 2017 13:14
Quote:
Connorman
Quote:
Abington Adam
..for me the jury's out until he proves that he can still compete at a decent level.

I guess Heinrich will try extra hard to prove his worth to you personally!

(Sm6)

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 15:42
The Jury is always out, it does not matter who it is. Bigger might not perform for us, who knows? We will just wait and see what they are like smiling smiley

Lamont4Saints
14 September, 2017 17:59
I cannot understand why people are moaning about this signing or saying the jury is out? Do people even watch rugby on this site.

He was the second best 7 in the world for quite a while. He's had a payday break and now wants to come back and play proper rugby.

If lawes played in Japan for a couple of years would that make him a worse player? Would people ask if he still had it?

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 18:59
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
I cannot understand why people are moaning about this signing or saying the jury is out? Do people even watch rugby on this site.
He was the second best 7 in the world for quite a while. He's had a payday break and now wants to come back and play proper rugby.

If lawes played in Japan for a couple of years would that make him a worse player? Would people ask if he still had it?

Absolutely agree, plus is he not going to want to make a statement and show just how good he is on a far bigger stage than the Japanese Top League.

MESSAGES->author
14 September, 2017 23:28

"The South African McCaw"

Bit old but a good example of what he can do

Gary Gold rates him

And one for Eif

Sent from the toilet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 23:30 by Robby Richmond.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 00:34
Note, the laws for the 'ruck fetchers' have been changed here in Europe. Don't know whether Japan have joined in the update or whether they are with NZ/SA/OZ games who are still playing to the old law.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 06:46
Quote:
Box kick it
Good Question. Did Neal-H ever confirm if any of the recent announcements were the signing he had been told about?

Box, as I mentioned in Biggar post, I would assume it was him, as KB never gave us a name and said there were asked to wait after the Lions, as Biggar is only player with links to Lions, that would suggest it was him?

Or could be a kiwi connected with their squad, who didn't want miss out playing the Lions and Rugby Championship... but maybe that's me wishing LOL

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 06:53
He has some serious wheels on him, had never realised that before!

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 07:24
Cheers Neil for the clarification.

MESSAGES->author
15 September, 2017 09:52
Quote:
Lamont4Saints

If Courtney had played in Japan for 2 years and was 31, then yes, the question would be asked. What I cannot understand is how people can hang their hopes on video clips from test matches 6 or 8 years ago and think that proves something. That's half a generation in rugby terms and just shows that Brussow WAS a good player. Maybe he still is (I really, really hope so), but unless you're an avid viewer of Japanese rugby you don't really know for sure.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 09:57
Im pretty sure Jim & Co have watched some games recently rather than relying on video clips from 6-8 years ago before spending the money.

Saint Swill
Saint Swill (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:55
Come on, guys and gals.

You make it sound like he disappeared into the Japanese backwoods and has spent the last eight years getting old and slow playing against the Japanese equivalent of Old Fallopians 2nd XV.

He was playing for the Springboks in The Championship two years ago.

And among current back-rowers he's younger than Chris Robshaw, Tom Wood, James Haskell, Francois Louw, Duane Vermeulen, Schalk Burger,Jerome Kaino, Liam Messam.

And Wigglesworth, Mike Brown, Schalk Brits, Ben Smith, Sonny Bill.....

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 12:44
Quote:
Saint Swill
Come on, guys and gals.
You make it sound like he disappeared into the Japanese backwoods and has spent the last eight years getting old and slow playing against the Japanese equivalent of Old Fallopians 2nd XV.

He was playing for the Springboks in The Championship two years ago.

And among current back-rowers he's younger than Chris Robshaw, Tom Wood, James Haskell, Francois Louw, Duane Vermeulen, Schalk Burger,Jerome Kaino, Liam Messam.

And Wigglesworth, Mike Brown, Schalk Brits, Ben Smith, Sonny Bill.....

Sounds like Jim's signed another promising youngster. *

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net