Surprised this hasn't been posted yet - Barbaria announce a women's team
[www.bbc.co.uk]

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Duckonstilts
Re: Barbarians women's team
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 13:16
Great.

But as Womens sport grows ever more popular and professional accross the world when will Saints get on board?

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 13:54
Its been widely mentioned on here that Saints made a loss last year, for whatever reasons.

I would imagine that there is a certain amount of cost involved in setting up a womens team. Perhaps Saints just don't have that kind of cash at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 14:20
Good idea in principle but they've picked a date for the first game which coincides with a full weekend of games in the Tyrrell's Premier 15's league and it's unlikely any of the clubs will release their top players.
As far as saints are concerned they've never shown much interest in supporting a womens team and i can't see that changing any time soon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 14:24 by St_Bart.

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 14:36
Quote:
Saint Stokey
Its been widely mentioned on here that Saints made a loss last year, for whatever reasons.
I would imagine that there is a certain amount of cost involved in setting up a womens team. Perhaps Saints just don't have that kind of cash at the moment.

That would make sense but can't be applied to the preceding years of consecutive profit.

The simpler answer is they don't want to and they don't have to.

I think that's a shame and leaves the club behind the curve.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 16:25
Would I be right in thinking the RFU have cut funding for 15 aside national team to focus on 7s?If so, are we luckily behind the wrong curve and should we have a female 7s team?

I have no knowledge just asking....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 22:30 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 17:22
perhaps, one of the reasons why, in the past we made a profit, was because we didn't have the extra expense of a women's team.

I'd be delighted, as would my better half be, if there was a ladies team.

How would that work though? Would they have the same sponsors? would the sponsors pay more because there was a ladies team?

Tickets. would my season ticket include mens games and ladies games? would the cost be increased accordingly?

Where would the money be coming from to fund the ladies team? Would they sell out a stadium? would that generate enough money to cover wages of playing staff, support staff and everything that is needed to fund a team.

Who would the coaches be? Would they have the same DOR and coaching team as the men's side or would their be an entirely separate coaching and support team? Does this include the medical staff?

running an entirely separate team sounds costly, something that I just don't see us being able to afford at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 17:30
Wolfie:
RFU funding for 15's expired just after the 2017 world cup earlier this year and focus is now on 7's leading up to world 7's and Olympics, after which funding will probably be reinstated for 15's. Problem is that some of the 15's top players like Emily Scarratt have now been given 7's contracts which prevents them from being selected for the Women's Six Nations and other 15's games.
RFU have also ploughed money into the teams who partake in the Tyrrell's Premier 15's. AP clubs involved with Women's teams receiving this money are Bristol, Quins, Gloucester-Hartbury, Sarries, Worcester and Wasps, together with Richmond, Darlington Mowden Park, Waterloo and Loughborough.
Stokey:
Last year RFU issued an invitation for clubs to prepare a submission to become involved in a "womens super 10" league for 15's, which was designed to set minimum standards for coaching, S&C, and physio teams in order to provide a better pathway through to the main England squad and also ensuring the best possible levels of support would be available for player benefits and safety. Hence the 10 clubs listed above. Of the AP clubs Quins have imho the best infrastructure for their Women's squad and the Quins SN site has a page dedicated to Quins Womens fixtures. Sadly, very few of the AP posters seem to know what a great Womens team they have.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 22:30 by St_Bart.

MESSAGES->author
lilyg (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 19:10
Smurf - didnt the Saints have a womwns team many moons ago?

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 20:00
Yes, but only until wayne smith decided to disconnect as it wasnt a priority in his view.

HungryLikeTheWolf
10 October, 2017 22:34
Thanks Bart. Iím still really none the wiser as to how competitive domestic womenís rugby is, attendances, whether we could put out a decent side etc. Would need to know the cost associated with having a womenís team. This is professional sport, we need revenue to justify the output. If all that stacks up then sure but just putting out a womenís team for positive/inclusive PR or to allay disproportionate PC pressure would probably not be sensible.

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:07
Wolfie, your questions are largely academic.
Domestic women's rugby is of course very competitive, and at the top level the new Tyrrell's Premier teams have produced some very skillful and entertaining games, but even at that the level it is still essentially an amateur game, even though some of the teams do have players who did previously have professional 15's contracts with the RFU. More details, if you're interested here

For several years many England Women's games have been played at The Stoop, which gave Quins every reason to pursue the idea further, leading to them joining up with, and playing as, Aylesford Bulls last season. They also employed 2014 Women's World Cup winning coach Gary Street as their co-head coach for the new team.

As Saints took no interest in the RFU tender process for selection of the Tyrrell teams, we've missed the boat, and I see little point in trying to get involved now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 12:17 by St_Bart.

HungryLikeTheWolf
11 October, 2017 17:37
Well thereís the answer. Too late forget it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net