rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Deesaint
Captain
Deesaint (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 18:30
I donít know if restating Dylan as Captain has fired up the attitude of players to the team and stepping up a notch
However credit where credit is due. Even though injured Dylan has attended all games acting as Ď water boyí Ď delivers kicking tee Ď very vocal in supporting team
I appreciate that he wasnít everyoneís choice ( has St Ed disappeared) but his commitment to the team/club is unquestionably

Contrast to Tom Wood who has been injured for about the same period but hasnít attended games

There may well be a reason why Tom decided not to attend I donít know so unfair to judge but an obvious absence; when asked on Twitter why he didnít go to support team I think the comment was Ď I didnít have a ticket Ď

But for me; Iím not surprised that the team has played with more togetherness focus and desire since Dylan was restored

Nath-coys
Re: Captain
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 19:35
Dylan is a top class hooker.

And a top class leader of men!
You can just see in his interviews and the way he speaks, the standards he sets and the ethos he sets are second to none.

I think he will be an extremely successful coach/Dor in the future.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 20:07
Do we actually know who does and does not attend when not actually participating ? Last weekend, we had a touch of Corporate hospitality at Gloucester and our box was visited by three players including Charlie Sharples. Presumably Saints walking wounded are on similar duties around the stadium ? I take my hat off to Dylan for his overwhelming input even when not available to play.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 06:15
I canít stand to go and watch my club when Iím injured, itís horrible watching and not being able to play. Can uunderstand if Tom feels the same, he comes across as in intense bloke.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 06:53
I'm pretty sure I've seen Tom Wood tweet about doing other things on a game day, which did surprise me a bit with Hartley involved as waterboy at the same time - but then Hartley is current captain, and it's entirely possible that Wood would have been there when he was captain and Dylan not.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Saint Matt
Saint Matt (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 07:33
You are right to praise Dylan, and regardless of whether he asked for it, or the coaches asked him, keeping him involved in the match day even though he's injured seems to have been a very wise move.

I don't mind players outside the 23 not turning up to watch, I guess we can only have so many water boys. in fact I would go so far to say its possibly a positive in some cases to help them have a mental rest as well as physical.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 09:31
There are already too many water boys running onto the pitch at the slightest opportunity.

Stingray66
Stingray66 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 09:36
Quote:
Eif Jones
There are already too many water boys running onto the pitch at the slightest opportunity.

+1

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 10:45
As a senior player Tom is probably given a choice as to whether he attends or not. Some of the junior members not so much. It may be that they take turns or volunteer for the different match day duties when not playing. Dylan feels like he should attend as he is skipper. I would read too much into it as I doubt every member of the squad attends every match. These guys have families so maybe taking the opportunity to do family stuff

Former Hollywood Saint
11 October, 2017 10:59
Wasn't Tom suspended still? That would mean that he would be banned from all rugby. Dylan wasn't water boy when he was banned either.

FHS

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 16:01
If Tom was recovering from injury, he may have had to go to the Gardens for some sort of check up. I can't imagine that the entire medical team attends every match, just like the entire playing squad doesn't.

Also, if he's not playing through no fault of his own, wouldn't the day essentially be a day off? In which case, he has every right to spend his time off doing what he wants.
Provided that he's not breaking any club enforced 'code of conduct', then there's no argument.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 20:53
With respect, I know for certain that if I was playing in the GB&G and injured, would be going to every single game to cheer on my boys. That doesnít mean being waterboy, you can go with the Mrs, sit in the stand or a box, even mix with the fans... especially as a senior player, youíd have a mentee or two and would be there to support them psychologically. I think thatís quite a normal mindset and nothing extraordinary.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 20:53
On match days all of the squad should be in and around the ground if not playing then glad handing.
The club is professional not amateur when players are not picked they can still play a huge part in connecting with the supporters. If they have wives, children etc thats not an excuse to stay at home Walks 11, they should automatically come to the Gardens with their children. Supposed to be a family friendly experience, god if the players don't even turn up if not picked what have we come to. Jeez they should enjoy it not try to avoid it, and want to support their team mates. Don't know what goes through some of your minds at times. "A day off" really when your team is playing?
All hypothetical because from what I know they do turn up. Tom Wood was in the corporate area for one game at least, and of course he is charming. Ditto Dave (Ribeye) Ribbans, and some of the dedicated younger chaps, all trying their best to communicate with supporters. I would like to see them stand in the Tetleys with the hardcore supporters.

HungryLikeTheWolf
11 October, 2017 20:55
great, or rather, average minds.

HungryLikeTheWolf
11 October, 2017 21:01
This isnít the same but absolutely legendary from Bill Murray helping the Chicago Cubs come back to win this week

[www.sbnation.com]

MESSAGES->author
Ishmael (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 07:57
Quote:
ch saint
I would like to see them stand in the Tetleys with the hardcore supporters.

So only 'hardcore supporters' stand do they? Is the rest of the ground populated by flaky 'only when they are winning' types?

HungryLikeTheWolf
12 October, 2017 09:12
The terrace is generally the loudest, most passionate and devout.

Thatís on average not explicitly, Iíve spent a season in every end/side.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:19
Quote:
ch saint
On match days all of the squad should be in and around the ground if not playing then glad handing.
The club is professional not amateur when players are not picked they can still play a huge part in connecting with the supporters. If they have wives, children etc thats not an excuse to stay at home Walks 11, they should automatically come to the Gardens with their children. Supposed to be a family friendly experience, god if the players don't even turn up if not picked what have we come to. Jeez they should enjoy it not try to avoid it, and want to support their team mates. Don't know what goes through some of your minds at times. "A day off" really when your team is playing?
All hypothetical because from what I know they do turn up. Tom Wood was in the corporate area for one game at least, and of course he is charming. Ditto Dave (Ribeye) Ribbans, and some of the dedicated younger chaps, all trying their best to communicate with supporters. I would like to see them stand in the Tetleys with the hardcore supporters.

Think you sort of missed my point CH.. which is we don't know what are the expectations on match day for non playing squad members so having a dip at Tom for not being present is poor form.. there could be 101 reasons for him not being there for 1 game which we don't know.. Yes of course I would expect all to be there but there could be extraordinary circumstances in this case

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 16:13
Fair enough Walks 11.

Ishmael you draw some amusing conclusions there.
I do believe the guys who stand on what was the gordon Stand are the ones who make the most noise, sing and shout the loudest, and they would probably be more appreciative than for example the morgue otherwise known as the Churches stand.
Incidentally that's not where i watch the game from, but have done back when it was a tin shack.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 09:43
Quote:
ch saint
the morgue otherwise known as the Churches stand.

it might be a morgue but it's a jolly nice place to sit and watch the game from

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net