Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 22:26
Really pleased that the club have decided to continue the forum

[www.northamptonsaints.co.uk]

Sans Culottes
Re: Season Ticket Holders Forum
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 23:16
Bar service is lousy, prices are too high, and the pasties are rubbish.....anything else on the agenda? *

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 23:37
Iím attending this year and really hope for more than the above, I know people on this site only make up a small percentage of the season ticket holders, but I urge any of you who can attend, please do and raise something different!

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 08:45
My main concern is attendances. I know they are trying not to upset season ticket holders by offering cheap deals on tickets but for me, every empty seat is lost revenue that means my ticket might have to go up more next season. I want to know what the club are doing to address this issue, obviously fixing the quality of the Rugby is a key thing (well done so far) but the match day experience is key too. Its tough to come early to matches with 2 kids as since the inflatables went there is nothing for them to do. So I wander in with 15 mins to go when its early enough for my Kids to come too.

That reminds me of another issue. What to you do with Kids season tickets for late night matches? I cant bring my 5 year old out on a friday night. Surely some kind of free upgrade to an adult ticket for late night matches could be a solution? Its not the fans fault that so many matches are past bedtime.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 10:12
I have attended all the forums so far and will be there again for this one.

In the past, things tended to be a little too stage managed insomuch that pretty video presentations seemed to put the audience in a cuddly mood. However there clearly has to be some form of structure and hopefully someone will be taking up the reins from Chris Wearmouth.

Too many peripheral issues are raised at the expense of more important areas of concern; more Jackanory than Hard Talk. This is not to say that beer prices and queues are not a concern to some, indeed many but there are other avenues for such matters.

The audience do tend to be a little shy in coming forward whilst some topics appear to be off limits....so just some examples of things that could be raised...........(Sm159)

CEO - What do the Club intend to do to boost attendance figures in order to raise income ?

JM - Do you feel that your position was under threat during the last year ?

JW - Is there a common link with regard to the departure of Messrs Robson, Facer and Wearmouth ?

JM - Why is your son still starting at number 10 when Francis and Myler are available ?

CEO - What is your long term vision for the club ?

JW - Do you believe the salary cap is now being adhered to or are there perceived to be breaches ?

See what I mean about off-limits ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 10:12 by Mobbs.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:18
All good question. Not sure Harry starting at 10 is an issue. If he still is in a couple of weeks though ;-)

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:47
How about some written questions in advance with their promise to respond on the night ?

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:09
Quote:
Mobbs
I have attended all the forums so far and will be there again for this one.
In the past, things tended to be a little too stage managed insomuch that pretty video presentations seemed to put the audience in a cuddly mood. However there clearly has to be some form of structure and hopefully someone will be taking up the reins from Chris Wearmouth.

Too many peripheral issues are raised at the expense of more important areas of concern; more Jackanory than Hard Talk. This is not to say that beer prices and queues are not a concern to some, indeed many but there are other avenues for such matters.

The audience do tend to be a little shy in coming forward whilst some topics appear to be off limits....so just some examples of things that could be raised...........(Sm159)

CEO - What do the Club intend to do to boost attendance figures in order to raise income ?

JM - Do you feel that your position was under threat during the last year ?

JW - Is there a common link with regard to the departure of Messrs Robson, Facer and Wearmouth ?

JM - Why is your son still starting at number 10 when Francis and Myler are available ?

CEO - What is your long term vision for the club ?

JW - Do you believe the salary cap is now being adhered to or are there perceived to be breaches ?

See what I mean about off-limits ?

Mobbs - nice list. But....

Harry starting 10 is unfair, I think. Until now, both Francis and Myler have been injured, and certainly against Gloucester, I thought Francis was under-cooked. Needed another Wanderers game.

JM question - I would ask him if last season's performances and table position was acceptable to the club - not him - and what coaching measures he has taken to halt the decline. Maybe a supplementary to ask how it is argued that Broussouw is a replacement for Picamoles?

Attendances - Friday night is a problem for many supporters - what is the average distance each attendee travels? I think Northampton Uni did a survey before the MK Ulster Euro round, so they may have the answer. What is planned to address this issue?
Secondly - Sensible prices for accompanied juniors. The future of the club, on both sides of the whitewash.

Lastly - let's try not to get too hung up on the off-pitch stuff like last time. Get on the pitch right, off the pitch will take care of itself.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:18
Off the pitch questions are relatively easy to deal with and in any event don't arise very much when people are happy with what's happening ON the pitch. In fact when on the pitch is working ok not many questions of any sort arise because the huge majority are really only interested in that. Ultimately where the club expects to be each season is dominated by available income to recuit the best players and the ability of the coaches to mould them to the maximum, and thereafter one should feed off the other.This includes attendance levels - I don't believe the so called "match day experience" matters a jot to the majority provided Saints are winning matches and entertaining in the process. This all rather limits the potentially relevant questions to ask. So if progress on the pitch continues up to Nov 14th be prepared for anodyne questions and answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 12:53 by tedge.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:30
Quote:
Duckonstilts
That reminds me of another issue. What to you do with Kids season tickets for late night matches? I cant bring my 5 year old out on a friday night. Surely some kind of free upgrade to an adult ticket for late night matches could be a solution? Its not the fans fault that so many matches are past bedtime.

Exactly the same boat here - not sure my 5yo has the patience and self control for a season of rugby attendance just yet, but Friday nights were the biggest thing putting me off getting a season ticket for him this season.

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:49
Can anybody point me in the direction of the thread which had the link to the news story about Chris leaving and the new chap being appointed, I was away when it happened and would like to get in touch with him, can also ask if they would take a list of questions from our message board

Thanks

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:56
Quote:
Saint Ted
Can anybody point me in the direction of the thread which had the link to the news story about Chris leaving and the new chap being appointed, I was away when it happened and would like to get in touch with him, can also ask if they would take a list of questions from our message board
Thanks

Here you are Ted

and this is the thread link:Forum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 13:01 by tedge.

AM
AM (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 13:23
This reminds me of being at one such forum and a question came from the floor - "why do we have so many evening games? its blah blah blah same old same old......." inevitably it comes back TV money - our biggest revenue stream...... Irony was that this person said she can "never ever get to the ground before kick off on evening games" this was at 7:30pm......

Dont get me wrong I understand that Evening games are annoying to some people - personally I like a good mix of evening and daytimes, but after 5pm on a Sunday might be a bit of a pain.......

I suspect this ST Holders forum will be the same questions, the same moans and the same answers - some people just dont understand how the business works

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 13:30
Cheers Tedge

MESSAGES->author
Ishmael (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 13:55
Quote:
Mobbs
things tended to be a little too stage managed insomuch that pretty video presentations seemed to put the audience in a cuddly mood.

Well they are bribing everyone to be in a good mood and behave by giving them a pie and a bottle first!

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 16:04
Don't take my list of 'questions' too seriously, just trying to give a flavour of the sort of topics that should be raised rather than those that come up time and time again !

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 17:04
Ted just in case
timpercival@northamptonsaints.co.uk <timpercival@northamptonsaints.co.uk>;

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 17:24
Cheers Chris, I emailed this afternoon, will feed back

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 19:22
Relaxed about all things rugby. As suggested concerns over ticket pricing, getting younger audience into the games..... we need to attract some more of the casual 20-20 esque crowd. Millenials who will use it as a base to start their weekend festivities.... they spend a lot, make noise etc.

AM
AM (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 08:28
Wolf - if you are after that crowd, e tickets, Groupon and the like are all required you also need bargain tickets, last minute availability and dare I say it FRIDAY EVENING games. the millenials dont need to get home to draw the curtains.........

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:13
Attendances - Too expensive for the casual attendee. £50+ adult ticket to see Quins with what was a decent concession but still £30+ for a junior. Agree with some of the comments above fill the seats even if that means give aways or cheap tickets. Perhaps a cut price deal for 'on the day' ticket sales or day before.

Cant remember too many times there has been a sell out since the Barwell stand opened and a re we suffering a bit for two lack lustre seasons

Service - Waiting for a beer is extremely painful to watch the poorly trained young people trying to serve. Please please pre-pour and keep the flow of people going, the increase in volume sales will offset any increase in wastage. Twickenham is not perfect but the beer is all lined up and ready to go

Food - massive queues although not sure what can be done about that one

Recruitment - Can we assume that a world class no.8 could not be found to replace Picamoles so a world class back rower was recruited instead (Broussow). The recruitment of Biggar is confusing with Francis/Myler/Grayson/(Mallinder) already in situ. A pat on the back for whoever recruited young Ribbans

Selection for me is a no go area for this forum

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:26
Wolf/AM - you may recall last years survey which found that the vast majority of season ticket holders were, if I remember correctly, over the age of fifty. The club were concerned about the disconnect between number of children who attend and the under-twenty fives - in simple terms, when the younger fans reach eighteen or so, they stop coming to the Gardens. The danger, and it is a danger, is the if you change the product dramatically then you can antagonise the core support - The Conservatives hacked off the grey vote at the last election as an example. This is not to say that the Gardens Experience cannot change and evolve but as others have said the two key issues are on-field performance and pricing.

Walks - Jim will not answer specific questions with regard to selection when he attends the forum but can still be squeezed on more general issues regarding recruitement and choice of the squad week by week.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:28
The surveys last year were all done by Brian Facer, maybe the stats have gone with him.
I not that al the tickets for the forum are all sold now

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

nottsaint
nottsaint (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:31
I wont be able to make it, however, if i could questions i would be asking are....

1) Are we in a position to compete with our top UK/prem. competition financially (Wages/Facilities/other areas)
2) extending above, what about in Europe, can we realistically expect to compete at the highest level consistantly
3) Has our scrum suffered from a conscious effort to get a more mobile pack, or something else?
4) in the current injury climate, what can we do to ensure strong squad depth/rotation when every game is so competitive.

5) JUST WHAT WENT WRONG for the last 2.5yrs that took so long to fix!? and can we sustain this?

TBH attendances will return when we show a run of consistent form and attactive rugby, tbh last season i didnt look forward to going to the games, and only went because of a) i'd already paid b) a sense of loyalty.
Casual fans just wouldnt (And didnt bother)

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 11:10
Maybe it's time that the club did something radical such as not selling season tickets in the Barwell Stand and using that area of the ground for low-cost family tickets on a match by match basis, or flogging cheap tickets to UoN students at the turnstile, but not both, obviously. The Barwell Stand is consistently only around 50% full or less which suggests that something (I would guess the price) is making it a less than desirable place to watch the game from. There will always be a fine line to tread between keeping season ticket holders happy, balancing the books and making the Gardens appealing to the more casual fan.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:49
Quote:
AM
Wolf - if you are after that crowd, e tickets, Groupon and the like are all required you also need bargain tickets, last minute availability and dare I say it FRIDAY EVENING games. the millenials dont need to get home to draw the curtains.........

That makes sense but I meant creating more of an experience with better music before and after etc.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:49
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Quote:
AM

That makes sense but I meant creating more of an experience with better music before and after etc.

How do you define "better music" and what makes you think anybody wants any music (however defined ) ? This is a rugby experience not a concert.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 16:41
Quote:
Abington Adam
Maybe it's time that the club did something radical such as not selling season tickets in the Barwell Stand and using that area of the ground for low-cost family tickets on a match by match basis, or flogging cheap tickets to UoN students at the turnstile, but not both, obviously. The Barwell Stand is consistently only around 50% full or less which suggests that something (I would guess the price) is making it a less than desirable place to watch the game from. There will always be a fine line to tread between keeping season ticket holders happy, balancing the books and making the Gardens appealing to the more casual fan.

The Barwell is badly exposed to the elements - if you have ever sat there you would know

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 16:45
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Quote:
Abington Adam

The Barwell is badly exposed to the elements - if you have ever sat there you would know

Must say it hadn't occurred to me but The Barwell does face the prevailing south westerlies and I imagine rain is blown well under the roof. Can't think of anything to be done about it though.

fair_weather_fan
12 October, 2017 19:20
Quote:
Walks11
Attendances - Too expensive for the casual attendee. £50+ adult ticket to see Quins with what was a decent concession but still £30+ for a junior. Agree with some of the comments above fill the seats even if that means give aways or cheap tickets. Perhaps a cut price deal for 'on the day' ticket sales or day before.
Cant remember too many times there has been a sell out since the Barwell stand opened and a re we suffering a bit for two lack lustre seasons

Service - Waiting for a beer is extremely painful to watch the poorly trained young people trying to serve. Please please pre-pour and keep the flow of people going, the increase in volume sales will offset any increase in wastage. Twickenham is not perfect but the beer is all lined up and ready to go

Food - massive queues although not sure what can be done about that one

Recruitment - Can we assume that a world class no.8 could not be found to replace Picamoles so a world class back rower was recruited instead (Broussow). The recruitment of Biggar is confusing with Francis/Myler/Grayson/(Mallinder) already in situ. A pat on the back for whoever recruited young Ribbans

Selection for me is a no go area for this forum

Walks, I dont know what you have been doing this season but in my opinion the club has made a step forward this season in this area. Admittedly I have a limited modus operandus, involving trips to the real ale bar, where a pint is now delivered in seconds because they are pouring straight from the casks, (compare the situation last year where I wouldnt even bother to join the lineup) and the queues at sauls are shorter because I guess there are more outlets.

If a food outlet doesnt understand that they have to serve bodies in a limited time period that's their problem not the clubs. Cant speak for other bars and there was a big issue with speed of service at one of the wandies matches.

But it has improved. To be honest your comments relate to last season from my perspective.

Agree selection must be off-topic, keep it on here

fair_weather_fan
12 October, 2017 19:22
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Quote:
Abington Adam

Must say it hadn't occurred to me but The Barwell does face the prevailing south westerlies and I imagine rain is blown well under the roof. Can't think of anything to be done about it though.

I have no idea what they can do to keep them dry, but I think in the lower rows those seats need to be downgraded and sold cheaply with an appropriate warning

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 20:16
We moved to the Barwell from the terrace. Our view is very good and we do not get wet as we are ten rows high. The atmosphere however is not great due to the sheer number of empty seats and the high proportion of casual freebie visitors who are more concerned about the next pint rather than the rugby. Seriously considering a move back to Tetleys next season !

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:01
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Quote:
Abington Adam

I've had a season ticket in the Church's Stand for the past 4 years so I didn't know that.

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 20:02
Quote:
tedge
Off the pitch questions are relatively easy to deal with and in any event don't arise very much when people are happy with what's happening ON the pitch. In fact when on the pitch is working ok not many questions of any sort arise because the huge majority are really only interested in that.

Well I think tonight & probably next week will have helped divert the questions away from the beer prices ;-)

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:44
The crucial question: In 3 years how have we gone from being the best to a side unable to compete with the best?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 12:48
Quote:
rugbymel
The crucial question: In 3 years how have we gone from being the best to a side unable to compete with the best?

An obvious question but the obvious answer from anybody at the club must be "we don't know" as presumably otherwise they would have tried to put it right ?

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 16:53
Poor recruitment that has only this season has improved slightly, probably to many still under contract to have allowed a big clear-out and further signings, desperately need a pair of top drawer props, one of the biggest shortfalls in recruitment, plus a monster anchor 2nd row.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 19:05
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
rugbymel

An obvious question but the obvious answer from anybody at the club must be "we don't know" as presumably otherwise they would have tried to put it right ?

I'm retired now but if in 2014 my department had made a healthy profit (success on the pitch) and in 2017 had turned in a loss (failure on the pitch) after a deteriorating performance year on year and I didn't know why or how to put it right...............

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net