rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

fair_weather_fan
Top article from Tom Fordyce on injuries
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 08:16
Shorn of the hype surrounding injuries by people whose agenda might be anti-rugby, a wonderfully written piece on the condition of the modern rugby player. Im not given to emotional responses but I found the section on Will Fraser especially moving.

beeb

MESSAGES->author
Re: Top article from Tom Fordyce on injuries
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:40
I was just about to post this myself, FWF. It's a really good read, and I concur with your point on Will Fraser and I also found Ugo Monye's comments very revealing. A guy who's only a couple of years older than I am and his body is a complete wreck.

MESSAGES->author
lilyg (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:52
Wow! what a great atricle and an eye opener too

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:36
The link in comments is also a great read

HERE

average prop 25kg heavier..

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:36
its all very easy to be an armchair critic, but i know how i feel if i go out and do something stupid and knock myself up (kicking a ball, for instance!!), so for these guys to need 4-5 days just to be able to get a semblance of normality back into their bodies after a match, with their level of fitness and conditioning, just shows how brutal the game really is.

i do hope the game moves more towards skill and away from the juggernaut style of play, as its far more exciting to watch - problem is that its the rampaging runs and big hits that make the headlines and we, the viewer, are a sucker for car-crash telly!

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:39
Its straight running that makes the space for others as you know TS. Some clashes cant be avoided.

I think teams will be weight limited eventually and the 'cap' will be reduced gradually over a lont time period

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 16:03
Thanks for the articles.
The size of player and number of games cannot keep going up. It's particularly disappointing that clubs and country seem to be trying to get a quart out of a pint pot.
Also disappointing, but predictable, that as the total wage bill increases the squad size does not increase in proportion, wages just go up. (not that I resent players getting paid more they deserve it)
Difficult to see a way forward, because when one looks at the French clubs with relatively unlimited wage capacity they have moved almost exclusively to larger players.

fishface
fishface (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 17:15
I hope this all brings the authorities to their senses.
Whilst not being an advocate of the suggested striking "per se" I would certainly support such action if players are pushed further down the current route.

Saint For Life
Saint For Life (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 18:42
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Shorn of the hype surrounding injuries by people whose agenda might be anti-rugby, a wonderfully written piece on the condition of the modern rugby player. Im not given to emotional responses but I found the section on Will Fraser especially moving.
beeb

Will Fraser - very ,very unfortunate . But if you want a really moving , tragic but now quite inspirational story - just read about his younger brother Henry Fraser . A quite unbelievable young ex rugby player .

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:12
Quote:
Saint For Life
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
beeb

Will Fraser - very ,very unfortunate . But if you want a really moving , tragic but now quite inspirational story - just read about his younger brother Henry Fraser . A quite unbelievable young ex rugby player .

I hadn't realised the link between them - explains why so many rugby players are so supportive of Henry Fraser.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 05:56
One of the great things of this forum is other fans highlighting really interesting articles like this. It poignantly brings home the sacrifices the players make to play the game they love.

Thanks Fair Weather Fan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net