rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

LeicesterSaint
Pods
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 12:36
It's been a long time since I've played but back in the day it was illegal to bind onto a team-mate before contact carrying the ball. However it seems to be quite common with short range carries particularly forwards on pick and go's close in for the supporting player to bind and run with them.

I noticed it was another area where Sarries were particularly effective last week (not a dig at all) because it virtually guarantees the ball carrier doesn't get knocked back.

Is this another one of those laws that refs have collectively decided to let go for the good of a flowing TV friendly game a la the straight feed on scrums?

SaintWill
Re: Pods
SaintWill (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 13:56
This is something thatís caught my eye for a couple of seasons and, likewise, I donít understand why itís allowed. Seems to me itís a form of flying wedge which was outlawed years ago due to serious injuries...
Most bizarre is seeing pods bound and waiting for the ball to come.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 14:24
One of many borderline things that Sarries do well
They certainly went into contact with a second player bound to them on a number of occasions but I don't know the law here. Anyone ?

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 18:04
Given the increase in impact related injuries, would it not be an idea to prohibit this, if itís not against the laws already.? If it is currently against the laws then it should be properly policed

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 08:37
Is there not an element here of if you can't beat them join them? With those marginal things (binding into contact, pushing offside lines, holding off the ball etc) if the ref isn't being firm then do them! That comes down to on field leadership - someone needs to get a quick huddle and just say 'look lads, this ref isn't too hot on such and such so lets use that'....

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 12:48
You have to be well practiced in these things to be on the line rather than visibly over it. We know if we try we will get pinged.

But you are right. If we are not using the maximum width allowed in the current interpretation of the Laws we need to start doing so. At the end of the season noone remembers who got away with X or Y, they remember who won the cup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net