rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

protestbeat
Wales selection policy
protestbeat (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 13:26
Apologies if this has already been discussed. On seeing the Wales team for Saturday and in particular Owen Williams starting, it made me think again about the new policy announced last month, I hadn't actually read it properly linky The Rhys Webb situation grabbed all of the headlines but I hadn't realised that the new system enables any player currently with a contract outside of Wales to play until the end of said contract. This replaces the 3x wildcard rule (for each campaign) with immediate effect. Therefore allowing Wales to select more outside players in the short term. There are 4 in starting line up for Saturday; Williams/Williams/Francis/Faletau. Add to that Priestland in the current squad + North + any of the other exiles such as Jamie Roberts that they may want to draft in and it all leaves them with much more flexibility that they had a few months ago.

So in conclusion; A great bit of tactical play by the WRU? Certainly in the short term? PLus they are also able to dangle the carrot for players such as Owen Williams/Thomas Francis to come back home by selecting them now. Also the 'uncapped' rule does a similar thing.
Quote:
WRU
An exception to the rule is call ups for uncapped players currently contracted outside of Wales - to keep their eligibility a newly capped player will be required to return to Wales at the expiration of the contract in place at the point of call up.

All interesting stuff and more to this than I first realised!

Eif Jones
Re: Wales selection policy
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 02:18
The long term policy is simply 'play in Wales in your early years then if you want to bolster your earnings prior to retirement then go with our good will as long as you have acquired 60 caps'. All that you, pbeat, are commenting on are the short term issues in the transition to the new policy. Its very similar to the Australian equivalent. The WRU had to respond to the biggest issue facing rugby union i.e. the money in France and England draining playing resources from other less fortunate countries. How many Samoans have been exported for peanuts with the result that their Rugby Board has had to declare bankruptcy?

Obviously there are Wales qualified players, like Francis, who have been brought up outside Wales, somehow I believe the policy needs to be adjusted to suit. Unlike England, Wales do not have the population to exclude potential.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net