rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

tedge
Jim Acknowledges Shortcomings
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 14:52
Chron

Well that's half the battle.................

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Jim Acknowledges Shortcomings
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 15:31
Opta doesn’t tell you that against average and poor sides we are ok in the scrum.

Against the top teams we get absolutely drilled in the scrum.

Therefore if we ever want to win anything we need a new scrum. Unless you’re happy kicking off knowing you’ll concede 9-12 free points and 250 metres of field position in knockout games.

HungryLikeTheWolf
09 November, 2017 15:43
Title should read

“Jim thinks scrum is absolutely fine and defence isn’t that bad, just others are better at attacking”

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 15:58
That's not remotely what he's saying, as you well know.
He's given an honest assessment of our scrummaging and defensive shortcomings .
Please don't try to tell me I'm wrong.

fatrucker
fatrucker (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 16:07
You're wrong!

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 16:19
Jim Mallinder says Saints must step things up in defence and in the scrum in the weeks and months to come.

So just how concerned have the coaches been about Saints' defence in recent times?

"It's clearly an area we need to get better in," Mallinder said.

"We're probably not as dominant as we have been in the past, even on our own ball, but we are looking to play a little bit more from the scrum so that makes a bit of difference.

"Defensively, we have been poor, we've been conceding too many penalties and that's an area, again, that we need to get better at."

Seems clear enough to me that he's correctly identifying the problem. Whether he can solve it is why I put the dots in my post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 16:21 by tedge.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 16:28
WOw Jim’s figured out what we all have two years late!

Who cares, he won’t fix it will he? If he could have, he already would have two years ago, or last year or at the start of this season

HungryLikeTheWolf
09 November, 2017 17:00
Jim has created this squad over a decade. There should be zero surprises about a dodgy scrum or porous defence, he has crafted this squad and management team. The buck stops with him.

Covbryan
Covbryan (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 17:07
Sometimes things completely baffle me!!!
Why oh why has it taken JM to suddenly wake up to our problems?
The question is,why has it taken him and sidekick DW to suddenly start stating the obvious that most,if not all supporters have found blateantly obvious for at least 2 seasons.
Come n JM give the fans a bit of credit,and as I have said several times,is this not setting out exactly what the rhetoric will be at the STH forum?

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 17:59
What would be more interesting would be his solution to fix the consistent under-performance.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 20:01
Quote:
Covbryan
Sometimes things completely baffle me!!!
Why oh why has it taken JM to suddenly wake up to our problems?
The question is,why has it taken him and sidekick DW to suddenly start stating the obvious that most,if not all supporters have found blateantly obvious for at least 2 seasons.
Come n JM give the fans a bit of credit,and as I have said several times,is this not setting out exactly what the rhetoric will be at the STH forum?

Just because he has stated this publicly now does not mean it has suddenly just dawned on him! All teams have stats coming out of their ears for every game and training Session.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 20:20
If only it were as simple as having 10 years to create a pack. Below is a pack we could have fielded but for players moving for more money than we could afford to pay:

Corbisiero/Tiny
Hartley
Ma'afu/Mujati
Manoa
Kruger
Lawes/Wilson
Clark
Picamole

That would have been a hell of a side if we could have kept them. As good as any in the Premiership.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 20:36 by SaintMaul.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 20:24
Whilst acknowledging the claim that Saints have been performing relatively poorly for more than two seasons I think the current defensive frailty is a new phenomenon relevant to this season only.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 20:27
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Title should read
“Jim thinks scrum is absolutely fine and defence isn’t that bad, just others are better at attacking”

Only if u wilfully misrepresent what Jim says. He says we have one of the worst defensive scrums. He acknowledges defence hasn't been good enough.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 20:34
For those of u who are not happy with what Jim said in the article; what would u have preferred it that he said instead?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 20:39 by SaintMaul.

Covbryan
Covbryan (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 20:54
Even though JM has at last admitted our shortcomings why has it taken so long?
As a previous post said,at the end of the day he is the DOR and the buck stops with him whatever anyone's opinions,including mine.
I am sorry guys but it just ain't good enough!!
We are in this position because the problems,if as some say,he was aware of,why did he not act sooner?!
I do,as a long standing saints fan hope we can,going forward,correct all the on field problems but I fear the worst until we have a complete.and totally honest,review by the powers that be and actions put in place and acted upon.

HungryLikeTheWolf
09 November, 2017 21:01
SaintMaul

He can cut out all the ass-covering caveats.

I don’t see the point of you posting good previous forwards. His job is to recruit such that we always have a good scrum. Not so that you can pick 8 players over a decade that would look good in a fantasy team.

He’s recruited poorly at prop, going for far too young group of players and not getting an elite loose head. There is little balance to recruitment policy.

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 21:01
Quote:
tedge
Whilst acknowledging the claim that Saints have been performing relatively poorly for more than two seasons I think the current defensive frailty is a new phenomenon relevant to this season only.

Yes, it's certainly gone to another level this year.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 21:04
He has acknowledged things aren't going well... Which is great! At least he has said something!!

But.....

Do we truly believe JM and this group of coaches can turn it around?
Can West turn this pack in to a force?
Can Hopley make our defence tight and fearsome?
Will they stick to our new style of play they keep banging on about? Or revert too type like we did against Sarries and get stuffed!

For me it is a big NO!!!!

I am very grateful for what Jim and West brought too the Saints and will never forget the success and good times!

However it is time too move on or risk being left so far behind we will never catch up..........

steve battison
batty (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 21:57
Does it not seen strange to anyone else that Jim start's making statmeets about injury problems and comments on the main bone of contention just before the STHF*

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 01:39
Quote:
shiversaint
Quote:
tedge

Yes, it's certainly gone to another level this year.

The numbers suggest it has has been a snowballing issue since last December and is now at it’s worst. Certainly not an issue for two years, but certainly not isolated to this season either.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 02:34
The writing has been on the wall re the defensive problems in the Euro Cup year after year, its difficult to recall and name all the disasters as there have been so many.
As I've said before, too few academy products and poor recruitment, which at times seemed to be to concentrate on improving the Wanderers rather than the 1st team.

MESSAGES->author
Ishmael (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 06:31
Quote:
Batty
Does it not seen strange to anyone else that Jim start's making statmeets about injury problems and comments on the main bone of contention just before the STHF*

To me it seems like a preemptive strike from the club to avoid awkward questions.

Something like this...

Question. %//&***83!"%%%***$$$ and what are Jim and the board going to do about it?

Answer.' Yes but as you will have read Jim and Co, are aware of this as discussed in the Chron last week, so we will leave it to them. Next question I am sure you are more worried about beer prices and beer queues! Also as an aside I might add that anyone who asks an awkward question, will be taken out behind the bike sheds and given a good kicking and banned from future events like this!.........Next?'

Seriously I think those attending should get together privately rather than on here to form some sort of strategy to asking questions and not leave it to one question covering all concerns, spread the queries over several people to ask them and not stop until there are satisfactory replies.

Just my thoughts.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 07:23
With regards to the STH forum. I have previously held a Season Ticket (2016) when various factors meant I could no longer commit to as many games as I’d like. I emailed Sue Hewett, email on the offy website, to ask if I might ask a question to be passed on to the forum. She agreed this would be fine and assured me it would be asked. I emailed back with a question - and have heard nothing from her since so it will be interesting to know if it is read out. Maybe others might like to take the same approach if they cannot attend.

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 08:10
Quote:
St Maul
For those of u who are not happy with what Jim said in the article; what would u have preferred it that he said instead?

Errr! "It (scrum and defence) is poor and I(we) know what needs to be done to correct this and it will be done ASAP" would be about right after all it is what he gets paid for yes?

Picture the scene.......in previous life me in meeting with sales director SD OK Bob how is your pipleline looking what are the percentage chances of landing £xxxx by Q2 and projections for Q3 as you are £xx behind target" Me err I think I might be able to close £x SD "not good enough Bob what are your plans to fill the gap" Me err dunno boss. SD " Hmmm I need to see £xx improvement in Q2 or we will have to revue your position.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 08:55
It will be interesting to see what happens at the STH Forum. I expect a lot of dodged questions but hope that everyone at least acknowledge that there are issues and let us know they are working on them.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 18:19
It's good that he has acknowledged some failings but yet again it's a bit of flannel, immediately making excuses at some teams attacking prowess..... err... really...well yes other teams have moved forward Jim, you've ensured with your colleagues that we've moved backwards. More flannel IMHO when he mentions our attacking scrum and how good we are. Glad he's seen the stats as there seems little evidence of it on the pitch, but the stats suggest it so it must be right! It's not really that we've been beaten 5 times on the bounce, it's the manner of it and the way we seem to fold like a pack of cards every time. He needs to say it's not acceptable and that everyone involved needs to step up their game, especially himself and his scrum and defence coach.

DesboroughSaint
DesboroughSaint (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 07:57
Never been the same for me since Tiny went. Haven’t seen much this term, how do Van Wyk & FordRobson look?

acl saint
acl saint (IP Logged)
11 November, 2017 20:29
Saintmaul

I would of liked him to of said “ hands up, I’ve done all I can for saints but I can no longer keep up with the rest of the prem so I’m bailing out”.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net