rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Two clubs in one city?
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 13:29
And while we're waiting for the outcome of the STHF.... Speculation about Wasps' finances rumbles on, but there is another spectre at the feast. Coventry RFC are top of Nat 1 by 9 points (11 wins from 11 with 9 TBPs) and are averaging an attendance of 1600 in a division where 500 is a good crowd. Should they get promoted, and with due respect to Bishop's Stortford and Loughborough Students, the visits of Worcester/London Irish or Bedford might stretch the capacity of the Butts stadium (3-4000). The head will say "watch Wasps at the Ricoh in the AP", but the hearts of Coventry rugby folk might take them to watch Cov in the Championship. Home-town clubs have a local history which franchises can't match, so Wasps attendances could suffer just at the time when they need to be consolidating.

Generally, is there room for a Prem and a Championship club in one city?

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Two clubs in one city?
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:53
You are of course spot on, I support Blackheath in that division.... Coventry are by far and away the best side.

It isn't just being called 'Coventry' as the ground name suggests having a history with great clubs such as Barkers Butts in the area can't be replicated. It is very authentic.

I really hope they do grow and overtake Wasps. Of course this will all be money dependent. I remember in the old days they used to come to Northampton with pretty vocal support, some geezer had a megaphone if my memory serves me right.

There was talk about groundsharing with CCFC but I have lost touch on whether those Sisu spivs are still in control or whether supporters group has tabled a bid.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:10
As a cov old boy who was taught by some of coventry's best players and had the pleasure of a propping lesson with Keith Fairbrother, and whose grandparents were the god parents of one of cov's finest, David Duckham, i sincerely hope that they get back to their glory days.

Wasps being there is nothing short of a slap in the face to coventry RFC and all its fans, and i have absolutely no issues if wasps end up on the scrap heap because of what they tried to do in coventry.

maybe then need to scuttle back off to london or brighton or somewhere not in the midlands!

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:22
Have had it on fairly decent authority that cov fans really don't mind wasps being their neighbours. Prem rugby on the their doorstep and can go down their when no rugby or crazy away trips. May change if ever play in the same division of course

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:26
Was it any different at High Wycombe?

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:20
I donít see the issue without Wasps, Tring. Itís hardly as if Prem Rugby was even remotely an option a couple of years ago and they still have a small ground.

I doubt whether many locals would have attended Cov instead. Just hope that Cov get more dosh whilst moving up the leagues.

Covbryan
Covbryan (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 07:06
Tring saint,whilst I may accept your views I do not agree with them.Wasps oming to Cov was great.
You get good rugby,great food,fantastic beer and all at a very reasonable price!!(please note saints board)
As regards the Butts Park Arena,where Cov play,facilities are quite good prices OK.
There is loads of room for 2 clubs in Cov.
One is one side of the city and one the other side.

MESSAGES->author
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:23
Quote:
Covbryan
As regards the Butts Park Arena,where Cov play,facilities are quite good prices OK.
There is loads of room for 2 clubs in Cov. One is one side of the city and one the other side.

well, one is on the northern outskirts, the other not far outside the centre, and they're competing for the same bunch of rugby fans. Has any other town ever had a Prem and a Champ club vying for support? Can't see it myself, especially as the Sky Blues still a competing attraction. Wasps might need those missing thousands just to survive.

I'm a bit out of touch now, but there seemed to be scope for another stand and development at the Butts which would double capacity to 6-8000, allowing attendances better than some Prem clubs.

I wish no harm to Wasps, a fine club with its own history. But it isn't a Coventry club and would be better off back in its heartland of the London area. I would say that its arrival in Coventry may have kick-started a renewed interest in rugby but that Cov will benefit in the long run - IF they get promoted, and IF they establish themselves in the Championship (a couple of big IFs).

Wasps at the Ricoh is a strong attraction, but Coventry kids in their 60s will remember a pack which specialized in pushover tries, with Bert Godwin and Phil Judd at its core. Those in their 50s will recall 4 local lads forming the England backs who beat the All Blacks in Auckland (Duckham, Preece, Rossborough and Evans). There's the head/ heart conundrum in a nutshell!

Dumpling
14 November, 2017 11:15
Bristol to Bath is 12-13 miles. Bris manage to get 8-9-10 thousand without a problem and Bath is mostly full I think.

SimonG19
SimonG19 (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 17:26
Coventry RFC v a franchise currently based in Coventry. No choice is there?

MESSAGES->author
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 15:46
Quote:
Dumpling (all statements in my opinion only)
Bristol to Bath is 12-13 miles. Bris manage to get 8-9-10 thousand without a problem and Bath is mostly full I think.

that's probably the nearest to the "2 clubs" scenario, but Bath and Bristol combined have twice the population of Coventry.

Dumpling
16 November, 2017 16:53
Quote:
skybluesaint
Quote:
Dumpling (all statements in my opinion only)

that's probably the nearest to the "2 clubs" scenario, but Bath and Bristol combined have twice the population of Coventry.

Back in the day - when Bris and Cov were having great matches - Bath were a lesser side and only merited a part of the Bris first team playing! How times have changed. Bris then let paid amateurism and then professionalism arrive without reacting to the changes and were left behind. A lesson for Saints?

Would love to see CRFC do well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net