rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

ElySaint
Season Ticket Holderís Forum
ElySaint (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 19:17
I wonder if someone who is in attendance tonight might be able to provide some kind of round-up after the event?

It would be most appreciated, Iím sure, by those unable to make it.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Season Ticket Holderís Forum
lilyg (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 19:29
if you've got access to Twitter, there's a 'live' feed - already had the first question on performance....

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 20:07
Letís be honest
JM will more than likely respond in the way he handles TV interviews
A few obliging comments
Nothing to combustible
No real problems here
Weíre nearly there

What else would he say ?

What else would you say ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2017 20:07 by Deesaint.

MESSAGES->author
Ishmael (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 20:13
10 questions in an hour according to 'twitter', then 'Thank you for coming.'

Did you all have a good time?

Good grief!

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 20:17
Complete and predictable waste of time - hope people enjoyed their free pies and pints

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 20:26
To summarise....

About 10 maybe 12 questions asked

2 of them about the rugby side of things

I'm not going to hide behind an online avatar, the first one was me, now with the limitations of Twitter I can see why my question was slimmed down a bit on the saints feed so no issue with that

What I actually said was to the effect of...

I know most of these forums end up being discussions on queues for the bar and beer prices, bit as one of the main topics of conversation is the 'match day experience surely it's the 80 minutes on the pitch that matters most, what's happened to our team, where has the passion gone that we saw when Tom Wood scored against Leicester or Alex Waller when he scored in the final (they were both in the room so only thought it fair to mention), what's happened to our defence, does Mark Hopley being a young coach need a little help, what's happened to the scrum, does Dorian need some help and fresh ideas?

Jim chose to gloss over much of it and highlighted this season's Leicester game as a good one and believes and can see the passion there from the players and questioned why I frowned when he said it.

Got to admit, didn't really get anything out of that, fair play if others did, just my opinion, just can't help but feel it was an opportunity wasted

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 20:46
So....wagons circled then as expected. I have no confidence in the coaching staff or anyone at board level. My only confidence is in the playing staff who must be trying their best with little confidence in anyone over them.

Saint 16
Saint 16 (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 20:51
I know what you mean about feeling like an opportunity lost. I must admit that I was expecting more from the new management/directors. However I'm not sure what!

On reflection, irrespective of all other grumbles, I still feel that the biggest issue/change is the loss of 'the club'. Things like players in the bar after the game, players mixing more with fans, kids meeting their idols, bands on in the bar etc.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 20:56
Too far for me to make it. Spoke to a relative who went. Apparently didnít get much out of it. No apologies for 2 years of missing our benchmark for table position.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:01
This is a multi million pound business mid way through the season with sponsors and investors and fans to satisfy. I hope some who did attend got something out of it but I think to expect stinging criticism and must said about ways forward will be asking a bit much. The club does need to be seen as a well run organisation.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:07
A very, very, short evening at the Gardens: a few thoughts......

The whole point, for me at least, was an opportunity to grill the Chairman, CEO and DOE about what is happening to our somewhat stale rugby club.

First question and its about beer and bars....important to some but peripheral to most.

John White spoke without really saying anything.

New CEO Mark Darborn came over well, willing to listen, but not totally convinced he quite understands the club yet.

Jim became a little 'prickly' with some of the questions posed to him. I managed to get one in about Saracens two demolition jobs, he clearly feels that Sarries and Chiefs are on another level.

Very eloquent question about the dire half-time 'entertainment' and P A system.

Perhaps a more structured Remembrance Day game next season.

Query about Saints and the Community with special regard to attracting more female involvement.

Question posed about communication - club policy with regard to information about injuries more relaxed.

Club still claim they are against too many friday night fixtures.

Jim says Broussow will be a great signing.

Evening ended far too quickly. I felt the Chairman was over eager to bring questions to a close.

Messrs Waller, Wood and Myler in attendance which was good to see.

Food was good !

StPo
StPo (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:07
I was at the event and asked a question about including girls rugby in the community aspect of the club by having a ladies team. I was fairly pleased with the response given, which was much more positive than in previous years.

As for those saying opportunity lost...well what did you expect? Jim handing out in-depth dossiers fully documenting the strengths and weaknesses of each squad player? A slideshow featuring our attacking plays with an X factor style voting system to let the attendants decide which plays we run this weekend?

Jim admitted he hadnít been open with injuries in the past, and that is something that he will try to change. It was admitted that weíve lost season ticket holders, and as a club we are aiming to attract new support to replace those lost. Jim also ferociously defended his players when their passion was questioned. He admitted our defence wasnt strong enough in the first game of the season. He answered every question put across to him. For me, this shows that whilst as a club weíre not in the perfect position at this point, at least things are being done to try and improve on our inadequacies.

If you were there and unhappy with the questions, why didnít you ask one? If you couldnít make it, you have my sympathies. Perhaps next time you will be able to and the questions will be more to your liking.

StPo
StPo (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:09
And to second Mobbs, food was good!

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:13
Thanks for standing up Mobbs and Ted.
Seems like no real answers though, just management papering over the cracks. I seem to remember the one in 2014 being much more honest and open and we went on from there to turn around performances and win the league. It was a real watershed moment. I get the feeling we won't have a similar improvement this time.

Covbryan
Covbryan (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:25
Thanks to those who attended and the comments made on here.
However looking,and reading them all I get the distinct impression that whilst maybe a few questions were answered reasonably,JM also defending the players,which after all he should be(loyalty)the overall outcome appears that we are no clearer now as to the club accepting the dire state we are in,or indeed any outline as to the way forward.
For JM say that the impending arrival of Broussow as a great player appears to be the only,possibly,positive answer to come from the top table.
One can imagine,possibly sarcastically,that they have rubbed their hands,said that went well,had a beer,carry on as normal as from Wednesday.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:36
Mobbs,

That sums it up pretty well, all the questions were good and valid ones, I did particularly like yours StPo, that is an area of the game which we just don't explore at all, although was pleased to see at the last wandies match what I believe to be the ladies/girls team Nutley coaches cheering on in full force.

What I feel like was missing was more people asking more about the rugby side, yeah I knew Jim was going to be Jim about things, but given we get circa 500,000 hits on this site each month from a large number of individual users (can't get the figures at the minute) the proportion of posts about things off the field compared to on wasn't proportional to the questions asked.

I know it's not easy to speak in public, that was evident from some of the people who clearly didn't feel 100% at ease with standing up in a crowd, myself included, I was pretty shakey at first.

Now this is for another thread, but perhaps the manor the session was run could be changed so we can, as we have in the past, submit some more meaty questions that people aren't perhaps comfortable doing in front of a crowd.

Much as I was glad to see the players there, it certainly didn't help the nerves when questioning what was going on the pitch!

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 21:53
Ultimately the only way things will be changed is if the team slides down the table and attendances fall with them. Financial pressure will then force a change of coaches. On the other hand if the team moves up the table and attendances hold up they'll probably hand out new contracts.

HungryLikeTheWolf
14 November, 2017 22:01
I donít think anyone expects criticism of players, other coaches or staff. Thatís unrealistic and unprofessional.

But there should be a very positive narrative.

ďYouíre the best supporters in the country. I apologise for the last 2 years, we havenít got it right but we are on an upward curve. We have a big 3 games coming up, get behind the team, stick with us and we will get into the playoffs. From there anything can happenĒ. Or something similar.

Itís really not hard.

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 00:00
Did Jim, or anyone else from the Saints, actually agree that the side weren't playing particularly well? That the scrum isn't a dominant force as it has been, or that our recruitment has often aided the Wanderers more than the Saints?

Is there an acceptance that things are bad.... at all? Or is there a collective head in the sand approach where the last few years we've just been a bit unlucky and have missed our targets through no fault of our own?

Someone mentioned that Jim alluded to the fact that Sarries and Exeter were on a different level to us..... in what way did he allude to that? I can understand why our club can look at the much wealthier Sarries and think that, with their star studded squad, but was there any suggestion as to why Exeter, a side not too dis-similar to ourselves can achieve what they have and we seem totally unable?

I suppose to para-phrase myself.... was anyone actually being honest... calling a spade a spade?

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 01:11
'Highlighted the Leicester game'. I have been watching rugby here in the East Midlands for many many years, much longer than the 2 main coaches, so maybe they don't realise that it was the worst Leicester performance I have seen in all that time. If that game is used as his measuring stick then g** help us. And it certainly will not be as easy when we trip up the Welford Rd later in the season.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 04:55
Kenneth, it was acknowledged that the team wasnít playing well, but the question on pack/defence was glossed over.

Eif, that was exactly my thoughts.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 08:09
If you view Saints as a business - which of course it is
And yesterdayís meeting was similar to a Ďshare holderí meeting where those attending had made an investment in the business ( some attending will be share holders others have made investment with season tickets)
The thought would move to;
On the performance of those managing the business and the answers to questions from last night are you confident that the business is safe and going in the right direction
It is difficult to address a group of people, all have their own thoughts and agendas but the key for me would be honesty and clarity of direction together with the ability to communicate that direction ( Brexit anyone ?)
I donít think Jim is a good communicator- too many stock answers and platitudes, which is becoming part of the problem

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 08:22
As one who was unable to attend, I would like to thank everyone who did try to challenge the current "state of play".

It is difficult to phrase a question when in a public forum, so hats off to all who attempted same, irrespective of outcome.

Until we fans are better organised as one voice, I think these events will be, as hinted, rather less than we would like.

One question from me - was communication from club to fans discussed, in the light of CW's departure?
Certainly this is one area their actions suggest they want a different approach.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 08:31
Yes it was Longers,

It was pointed out that since October that we have now had more national press coverage, things like the statement about Dylan and more openness about injuries from Jim and the new weekly email called 'The Gospel', which if I'm being fair I hadn't looked at as those things were just going straight to my clutter box, had a quick look this morning and it is pretty good

I know it has been pointed out on here about how that seemed to coincide with the forum, but now looking back, it did also coincide with the new comms manager starting, so looks like this will now become the norm

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 08:49
'The Gospel'.......tell me more

HungryLikeTheWolf
15 November, 2017 09:10
Worth a read, according to Mark

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 09:15
Thanks Wolfie....found it in my junk file !

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 09:25
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
I donít think anyone expects criticism of players, other coaches or staff. Thatís unrealistic and unprofessional.

ďYouíre the best supporters in the country. I apologise for the last 2 years, we havenít got it right but we are on an upward curve. We have a big 3 games coming up,
get behind the team, stick with us and we will get into the playoffs. From there anything can happenĒ. Or something similar.

Itís really not hard.

And if that had been said many on here would slag the management off for spouting meaningless platitudes.

Hung if you do and hung if you donít.

I guess they just canít win.

Edited to correct spelling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/11/2017 09:29 by Sans Culottes.

MESSAGES->author
Flook (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 09:42
Tom Vickers 'Twitter' feed from last night.

He is only a lad, isn't he?

HungryLikeTheWolf
15 November, 2017 13:13
Quote:
Sans Culottes
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

ďYouíre the best supporters in the country. I apologise for the last 2 years, we havenít got it right but we are on an upward curve. We have a big 3 games coming up,
get behind the team, stick with us and we will get into the playoffs. From there anything can happenĒ. Or something similar.

Itís really not hard.

And if that had been said many on here would slag the management off for spouting meaningless platitudes.

Hung if you do and hung if you donít.

I guess they just canít win.

Edited to correct spelling

I donít know who would, but IMHO there is a lack of respect for the clubís history and supporters. We donít really have a culture right now. Results can paper over the disconnect but there is no feel good factor.

The best coaches all do it, across all sports.

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 14:13
We were there & our impressions were:

I agree with Mobbs' comments re John White. His opening comments seemed to imply they were expecting a 'bun fight'. He said things like the members of the board were there, spread around in numbers & there were some players to help out. I also agree he was keen to get it over with

He also put up a slide showing various summary points like players coming in etc like Dan B, but then just dismissed it like we won't bother talking about that...why put it up then?

We were quite impressed with Mark Darborn - yes we only got 10 questions in, but if the same had been asked of AR, it would have been less as he would ramble on for so long. MD is still new in the role, but a good start

Jim is bound to be defensive (more than the team at the moment...) - didn't say anything we wouldn't expect to hear

Have been to all of these events & honestly don't know if I'll go to another...a bit like not knowing if to renew next year as well at the moment

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 14:31
I really think we have to accept that we are merely paying customers and these events are staged as a sop by a board paying lip service to the theory that supporters should feel involved. Given that acceptance on our part, the only realistic expectation of events should be what those who attended received; obvious answers to the undemanding questions plus platitudes and condescension to the searching ones. Add a free pint of beer and a pie and many will have enjoyed a nice sociable evening mixing with the great and the good, but that's all.

steve battison
batty (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 14:35
I raised the question of Friday night games and was a little nieve to think l would get a chance to reply to the Chairman's comments. I have therefore written to the Chairman seeking clarification as to the Club's preference over Friday or Sunday televised games. If that is for Friday night games then that solves the question of whether or not to renew my membership as it was stated that we can expect a total of 4 Friday night games. I know others will have a preference for Friday night over Sunday but I feel that the position should at least be clarified.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 16:52
Batty

This is a road we have travelled before, so a little look back.

Saints have said for several seasons that their strong preference is for a traditional saturday at 1500hrs.

Second choice would be less popular times on a saturday.

Third choice would be friday nights.

Sunday the least popular option due to lower revenue and effect on local community.

The default statement has always been to blame BT/SKY for the scheduling and say we have made our position clear to the broadcasters.

There are divided opinions with regard to friday nights, some very strongly held.

There is not an even playing field. I understand that Saracens and Exeter are spared friday night fixtures due to planning/police issues. Sale seem to have gone back to a preference for fridays over any other days. Clubs such as Leicester, London Irish and Newcastle have issues with regard to football fixtures. Wasps seem to like sundays.

If you have the energy to look at the stats, you will find that over the last few years Saints and Bath have been particuarly prone to friday nighters. This year Worcester and Gloucester seem to have been an easy target with Quins and Leicester almost untouched and Saints somewhere in the middle.

Mrs Mobbs and I can cope with friday nights as we are retired but we would both prefer saturday at three. When we were working, fridays were a pain in the proverbial. My son cannot get to a friday night game without taking a half day at work and it is highly probable that he will not renew next season.

Perhaps when BT decides to spend even more of its budget on football and less on rugby, then there will be fewer televised games and a more equitable allocation with greater preference for the clubs.

The reply from John White will be interesting !

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 15/11/2017 16:58 by Mobbs.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 17:04
What Mobbs said. Personally I feel that there are too many games televised on BT and that is having an impact on attendances. One or two would be sufficient and certainly not three or more. If Saints are at home on a Saturday or Sunday I will attend the gardens and maybe replay the match if itís been a good game, though I have not done that for a while. If Saints are away or playing on a Friday night I will watch it on tv. Otherwise I tend not to watch any other rugby save for any game on a Friday night after work. It would be interesting to see what bt Viewing figures are

Covbryan
Covbryan (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 17:19
Totally agree with Tedge & Mobbs.
Many people have commented,including me,that since the first STH forum it appears as you both have said.
Is it alright for the previous board,and now it appears this new one,to keep saying the same old things,maybe in different ways,but still the same!!
Keep saying on posts,in the programme etc etc we need your support,we value your support etc etc,well would it not be nice for them to at least give us a little support in Return!
I am sorry to say that yes it is now big bucks business,however any business only survives on their results or attendance by fans in sport,food, drink etc.
All the time we keep buying our season tickets we can moan as much as we like,but,unfortunately,despite all the rhetoric from the club,they do not give a jot what we think.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 17:32
I prefer daytime matches to evenings, especially in the dark and cold of winter, so I would much rather go on a Sunday afternoon than a Friday evening or a Saturday evening.

I quote Mobbs: "Sunday the least popular option due to lower revenue and effect on local community"

I don't really buy this. Is there any evidence of lower crowds or revenue on a Sunday ? Why is the effect on local community any worse than a Saturday afternoon or Friday evening ? Once upon a time Sunday was regarded as a "day of rest" and for those who did it a "day of worship". Those times have long passed and nearly every sport is played and watched as much on a Sunday as Saturday. Shops open as do all forms of entertainment. We are a secular society apart from a respected minority who maintain religious observance through their own choice. Those who wish to attend church can do so on Sunday mornings as they always did. I would not mind at all an even split between Saturdays and Sundays provided the matches are played in the afternoons. Conversely I don't object to the occasional evening match in the Spring or late Summer.

In any event these things are totally determined by the TV companies who pay huge sums for their coverage so I accept my voice doesn't count. The the best I can hope is that a reasonable balance is struck, which does not appear to be the case at present.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 17:45
Tedge

Thats what we were told at the old SSLG meeting when the subject was raised - on more than one occasion as it happens ! I think the point they were making about revenue was greater attendance, larger bar takings etc on a friday rather than a sunday.

KR

Mobbs

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 18:21
I can vouch for the larger bar takings on a Friday, Iíll have around 6 beers at the ground on a Friday and only 2 on a Sunday

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 18:33
I went to the meeting and was impressed by Mark D, he is obviously a quality guy and is not defensive in his response to questions. He has a hell of a tough job- to fill the gap between total costs and revenue. In other words avoid the need for future shareholder cash injections, not at all easy.

I have come to the conclusion that the format is not great, too many people with with too many diverse issues they want to raise. Things like female rugby mentioned by St Po, how we celebrate Armistice Day, children walking in front of the lower tier seats, keeping the bar open later for those who wish to stay, etc To be honest these could all be dealt with by a letter to Mark D who I am sure would respond in a thoughtful way.

The real deal is to hear from Jim what his plans and aspirations are, where he went went wrong and what he is doing about it. We didn't really hear any of that except tangentially. In my mind this stuff should be readily delivered by Jim and then encourage questions, yes encourage questions. This was an opportunity missed by Jim he could have grabbed a microphone stepped down from the stage and delivered a positive message. Then ask for questions, not sit passively waiting for random questions. Its as though Jim has no message to deliver, yet I know full well he would have done a great job.

I often criticise Myler for his lack of attack, I have to say fair play to him last night he grabbed the mike and made a very good well balanced and in a way motivational answer to a question about watching recorded tv coverage. Good for him.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 19:04
Does anyone know if any other clubs do something similar and how that goes?

Saint For Life
Saint For Life (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 21:20
Quote:
ch saint
I went to the meeting and was impressed by Mark D, he is obviously a quality guy and is not defensive in his response to questions. He has a hell of a tough job- to fill the gap between total costs and revenue. In other words avoid the need for future shareholder cash injections, not at all easy.
I have come to the conclusion that the format is not great, too many people with with too many diverse issues they want to raise. Things like female rugby mentioned by St Po, how we celebrate Armistice Day, children walking in front of the lower tier seats, keeping the bar open later for those who wish to stay, etc To be honest these could all be dealt with by a letter to Mark D who I am sure would respond in a thoughtful way.

The real deal is to hear from Jim what his plans and aspirations are, where he went went wrong and what he is doing about it. We didn't really hear any of that except tangentially. In my mind this stuff should be readily delivered by Jim and then encourage questions, yes encourage questions. This was an opportunity missed by Jim he could have grabbed a microphone stepped down from the stage and delivered a positive message. Then ask for questions, not sit passively waiting for random questions. Its as though Jim has no message to deliver, yet I know full well he would have done a great job.

I often criticise Myler for his lack of attack, I have to say fair play to him last night he grabbed the mike and made a very good well balanced and in a way motivational answer to a question about watching recorded tv coverage. Good for him.
Very easy to have a go at Jim - Evening not organised by him , format nothing to do with him . Same format for last 5 plus years . Third event that I have attended - all the same . My impression was that some individuals looking to have a go at individual players / coaches - was never going to work and quite rightly
ignored / ducked . Overall questions were not that good . The only thing that I would say is that our new Chairman could / should have taken this opportunity to make a far greater connect with the fans !

HungryLikeTheWolf
16 November, 2017 00:16
Whatís the point of it then?

MESSAGES->author
Ishmael (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 06:14
Quote:
HLTW
Whatís the point of it then?

A sop to those who feel that they are considered part of the club (they aren't of course, just paying numbers.) These folks can go along, wear their colours at the club on a non match day, be in the same room as some of their heroes, as well as the great and the good who run the club. For this experience they get a pie and a drink for'free.' The atmosphere created is not conducive to ask incisive questions, nor are they expected. Anyone asking a question feels this and stumbles over it and feels a certain amount of embarrassment standing up in a crowd. (The alternative of submitting questions beforehand wouldn't work as any the board didn't like would be omitted.)

HungryLikeTheWolf
16 November, 2017 08:42
Great summary

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 09:25
I had the sense that the Chairman was a little nervous before the event but the first question was an easy one and you could almost sense the collective feeling of relief from the podium. Previous forums have been too stage managed and the reluctance of many of those attending to ask questions does not help thus the sense of tummies being tickled is evident.

Perhaps we need a 'Hard Talk' scenario where an 'interviewer' is adequately prepared to ask the really difficult questions and have the confidence and ability to really press for genuine answers rather than platitudes.

Personally, I am grateful for the opportunity to ask the Chairman, CEO and DOR aome questions and I thank them for being there as indeed I do the other directors and the three players. Surely, amongst eight thousand season ticket holders, we have someone with the eloquence, knowledge and balls to take the lead at these functions ?

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 11:38
Not sure why Saints for Life sees my post as knocking Jim, he just doesn't get the supporter legacy thing. Part of my thoughts are admitted driven by a book I am reading re the All Blacks called Legacy, it quotes Wayne Smith extensively. He was of course big on giving the team and club meaning, and creating a togetherness.
I think Ishmael hits the nail on the head and Mobbs. I have come to the conclusion that we should have someone like Lenny Newman give Jim some rugby questions and open out the answers to follow up questions. Doesn't need to be to heavily scripted. In fact evenings with Jim and or Dorian, Alan D, Phil D would be a good idea.
I really don't understand why communications the clubs playing strategy is such a secret, I recognise that some people are relatively open and others naturally defensive, and that Jim has dug himself a bit of a hole, not helped by annoying injuries.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 12:05
I have followed this thread with some wry amusement . Really? what did people expect.

In a previous life i attended and saw others attend shareholders meetings of large companies in order to ask " awkward questions etc " and the people I am talking about were professional organisers if not agitators.

They never got anywhere either.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 12:28
Understand where you are coming from, but is this thread really about difficult questions, I don't think so, its just about where are we going, or communicating.
Look at it this way, Mark D stood up and said what he was hoping to do. I thought "that's a tough target" but fair enough.
Jim didn't and he could have, he would have been cheered. Remember Wayne Smith in the club house after we lost at Twickenham, he jumped on a table and made a truly inspirational speech, ok he was good at that. When a leader has the chance to talk about his subject to dedicated followers he should take it, that's all. Doesn't matter if its a failing PLC, and I've had to do that btw, or a rugby club.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 16:23
Perhaps the board and the coaching staff feel that, on the playing side, everything's wonderful. If they do they're deluded. I'm sure they're very happy in their own state of ignorance. Saints, the other teams have moved their rugby on, we haven't, we're stuck in 2014.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/11/2017 16:24 by smitferbrainz.

Saint For Life
Saint For Life (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 17:30
For those interested in hearing it straight from the horses mouth - have a look on Saints Tv . Jim Ďs response to the 2 rugby questions were fine on the night IMHO and after looking at the video recording even better second time round!! Usually more informative to listen to what was actually said than read some of these posts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net