rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

SaintsAsh
Moaning Fans
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 13:41
Did anyone see the Tonga vs England rugby league world cup semi final?

Tonga were losing by 20 and the 30 thousand strong Tongan crown started singing hymns. They backed up their team even when losing by a lot, within a few minutes they were back to within 2 points. What a fantastic atmosphere.

Those fans were a credit to themselves, now I look at myself and some of the negativity we as Saints fans are showing and It seems to me that we are not a credit to ourselves like those Tongan fans are.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Moaning Fans
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:06
WHY did the Tongan fans do that?

Tonga had just beaten New Zealand in one of Rugby League biggest ever upsets.

They play every game with immense pride and passion for the team, supporters and country.

That is in no way comparable to Saints fans being hacked off with nearly 3 years of under performance.

You couldnít actually pick 2 more extreme examples. We have lost our culture, identity, pride.... absolutely all the ingredients that make up the Tonga RL team.

They are a credit to themselves and their people. Thank you for highlighting this albeit accidentally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2017 14:07 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:10
Well said Saintash.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:25
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
WHY did the Tongan fans do that?

Tonga had just beaten New Zealand in one of Rugby League biggest ever upsets.

They play every game with immense pride and passion for the team, supporters and country.

That is in no way comparable to Saints fans being hacked off with nearly 3 years of under performance.

You couldnít actually pick 2 more extreme examples. We have lost our culture, identity, pride.... absolutely all the ingredients that make up the Tonga RL team.

They are a credit to themselves and their people. Thank you for highlighting this albeit accidentally.

You do Tongan fans a dis-service to suggest it is because they beat New Zealand and are playing well, Tonga in the past have been pants and the fans were still the same.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:39
Has more to do with the British psyche.. we do love a moan as is evident by reading 95% of the posts on here

HungryLikeTheWolf
26 November, 2017 14:45
Donít agree Walks, Iím happy go lucky generally but want Saints to be a proud and successful club. As all our wonderful supporters deserve.

There is a difference betweeen criticising aspects on social media or the pub and supporting during a game. There are a few aspects Iím not happy with and give views on here but during the game Iím very loud and supportive, cheering turnovers, baying for offsides and the rest. I suspect Iím more vocally supportive than quite a few Ďhappy clappyí types on here.

Tonga is a very poor country with very little to cheer for, this was mainly the ex-pat community in Oz. They are generally very humble and proud people. Agreed they are special traits particular to the Pacific island peoples. It was the World Cup which is only down there every 8 years so not surprised they were wired! Not really comprarable to Saints at home every other week every year.

But, and itís a big but, their players reflect this. They have been spilling blood on the pitch and doing everything they possibly can to bring success to their country. They have pride in their shirt, their fans and their country... the fans can feel their players would do almost anything to win. Please see video below:-

[m.youtube.com]

I really think youíre barking up the wrong tree if you are suggesting Saints fans arenít supportive of the team on matchday.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2017 15:06 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:54
It's not against the rules to be negative and voice your opinion. It's not against the rules to be criticise players or coaches. Most get more money than most of the people who post on here. If people don't like negativity then don't read those posts. It is against the rules to show a lack of respect to other posters.

Unless Saints improve big time then negative views and criticism will continue and there's no evidence of that happening any time soon. Personally I don't want Saints to perform like this, I want them to get better. It flipping hurts watching this happening.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:56
I wouldnít moan if we actually turned up to a game for once

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:07
Well said Saint Ash.

Also well played Saints v Sale. With a depleted team and weaker team than Sale on paper our team did a great job.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:12
Lamont, You will have seen yesterday the team turned up for a game, maybe you didn't to be able to witness it?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:29
We need to be critical. We need to be supportive. We need to back the club if we want to improve but we need to demand results.

As with all things its a matter of balance.

So just remeber, be as vocal in support of the success as you are in opposition to the failings.

:-)

BletchleySaint
Saint (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:47
There is a great term - critical FRIEND. Yes give good honest feed back but in an encouraging and supportive way.

Plenty said on here about the players not looking like they care or turning up. But when was the last time the crowd really called for them even before the game. I remember a couple seasons back before each game rounds of Jimmys or OWTS before they came out.

Perhaps they pickup on that flat atmosphere ?

Also thinking about Jim - a good coach doesnít go to a bad coach overnight. It very well be that Jim has run out of ideas and it very well be time to bring someone new in to reenergise things but personally I donít like the football mentality on this board.

Iím sure if we got a new Head in we would a few games teams always do have the new manager bounce. But having seen what Jim has done for us I for one can not believe heís the type of guy just going through the motions to run down his contract. He must believe he can turn it arround and I think he deserves the chance.

As others say letís get behind them it may just be a season of 5 wins / 5 losses.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 22:11
Quote:
BletchleySaint
There is a great term - critical FRIEND. Yes give good honest feed back but in an encouraging and supportive way.
Plenty said on here about the players not looking like they care or turning up. But when was the last time the crowd really called for them even before the game. I remember a couple seasons back before each game rounds of Jimmys or OWTS before they came out.

Perhaps they pickup on that flat atmosphere ?

Also thinking about Jim - a good coach doesnít go to a bad coach overnight. It very well be that Jim has run out of ideas and it very well be time to bring someone new in to reenergise things but personally I donít like the football mentality on this board.

Iím sure if we got a new Head in we would a few games teams always do have the new manager bounce. But having seen what Jim has done for us I for one can not believe heís the type of guy just going through the motions to run down his contract. He must believe he can turn it arround and I think he deserves the chance.

As others say letís get behind them it may just be a season of 5 wins / 5 losses.

Football mentality? This has been ongoing for 3 seasons. Couldn't be further from football mentality imo. As for him deserving a chance to turn it around he's had that chance for ages.

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 23:36
Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Lamont, You will have seen yesterday the team turned up for a game, maybe you didn't to be able to witness it?

I saw the full game and thought we were useless! I'm sure the truth is somewhere between both our opinions!

Do those who want supporters to support the Saints, no matter what, have faith that Jim and Doreen are the right people to turn the club around? Or just that we should just get behind the side whilst waiting for a change in backroom staff?

Lamont4Saints
27 November, 2017 09:10
Ive currently got a 7 day old baby so didnít see the game unfortunately.

I donít always mean to be so down on our team but from winning the premiership we have gone backwards. We signed some really average players, let some brilliant ones go.

That makes me unhappy for my club. Either way you look at it our game plan and management has been poor recently I just hope things improve.....although Iíve not seen any signs they will.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:17
Kenneth,

I HOPE that Jim can turn us around. I BELIEVE that bringing in a new head coach can do that. I will support the team every week in the expectation that we will finally turn the corner and when we are loosing i tend to shout louder in hopes that i can add part of the extra 1%.

That said, when something is wrong I will discuss it and try and see if others share that opinion or if I'm just plain wrong.

I tend to fall on the optimistic side of things but I can see that we have an ongoing issue and changing a number of players and coaches has not fixed it yet. Lets keep trying new things, and in my opinion we need a new head coach from outside the club with a different viewpoint. I also accept that as those in place have a contract it might not happen this week.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:52
[quote Lamont4Saints]Ive currently got a 7 day old baby so didnít see the game unfortunately.

Congratulations on the new addition
Will expect to see you posting at 2am and 5am over next few months :-)

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:04
Congratulations L4S :-) Dont worry about rugby, babies are awesome!

As for the club, we have signed some very good players too. Groom has started showing his class. Cobus is very exciting. Francis has a lot of potential and Eadie i am sure will prove his worth if he stays fit. JFR and Van Wyk both look like exciting prospects in the front row. Brussow cuold be the back rower we have been dreaming of if he is half the player he was before he moved to Japan.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:21
Throughout the game the Tongan athletes were very competitive. England had the big lumps who initially commanded the scoreboard but during the end game the lumps tired and the athletes took control. The crowd were secondary to the contest, it was the motivation of the Tongan players that made it such a compelling game.
The Scarlets match against the Lions in South Africa had real similarities. The Lions had real athletes in their backs but the seemingly more experienced Scarlets, even though missing 15 players to the Autumn Internationals, just like England, held out. The retired Mike Phillips having to play the second half.

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 November, 2017 15:23
Quote:
Eif Jones
Throughout the game the Tongan athletes were very competitive. England had the big lumps who initially commanded the scoreboard but during the end game the lumps tired and the athletes took control. The crowd were secondary to the contest, it was the motivation of the Tongan players that made it such a compelling game.
The Scarlets match against the Lions in South Africa had real similarities. The Lions had real athletes in their backs but the seemingly more experienced Scarlets, even though missing 15 players to the Autumn Internationals, just like England, held out. The retired Mike Phillips having to play the second half.

Kings I think. Lions still play super rugby ...?

Lamont4Saints
27 November, 2017 20:26
Cheers for the congratulations people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net