rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Saint Jericho
Latest rumours
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 14:50
The Rugby Paper today says we are interested in winger Josh Bassett and 2nd row Matt Symons from Wasps.

I've always been a fan of Bassett and felt we should have signed him when he was at Bedford. He's in great form this year and scored against us earlier in the season.
Symons is starting to realise his undoubtedly potential finally after doing well in super rugby.

Both would be great signings if they come off. Obviously a lot more changes are required if we're to compete with the big boys again, but this sounds like a good start to me. What do you think?

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Latest rumours
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 15:28
Much more sensible cap management. Heís the right quality of winger required, not a mega marquee player. And he will play every week.

Would be happy with that trade and use excess on front 5.

To be honest Iím more interested in coaching changes than players.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 15:43
Hungry, you might have to live with the Coaches changing their ways rather than there jobs.

I do however expect bigger changes at Saints. Its not just the rugby side in flux.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 15:45
As for the rumours... better use of the cap imo. However i wait to see it on the offy to believe it.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:10
Hltw you forget that Mr West is going to Newcastle?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:12
Quote:
Duckonstilts
Hungry, you might have to live with the Coaches changing their ways rather than there jobs.
I do however expect bigger changes at Saints. Its not just the rugby side in flux.

I think you may be correct in those thoughts.

And with regard to the players mentioned, I wonder what would make them leave Wasps for Saints given the current climate?

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:36
Iíd be very happy to keep our coaches if they changed and came good again but the signs arnt there.

While we might need another lock we are probably Paul g more than we should for Patterson and Craig should be replaced with one of our academy players.

Lawes, ribbons, Symons, Api

With Moon and Jordan as back up.

Day could coach the lineout when he wants to retire.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:53
Day may very well make a good coach. If he does it would be nice if it was with us.

Problem with Locks is we have so many but often have a shortage due to injuries. We either need to give some of Alex wallers magic serum to our locks or find some more durable.

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:56
Waspish mate of mine is peddling a Carter to them rumor

Bob Fossil
. (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:38
That'd be the carter who has signed up to play in Japan would it?

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:02
Like these rumours.
More like the recruitment that is needed

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:03
According to him NZ press only saying "likely to Japan"

That's the joy of rumours I guess

Saint at Uni
Saint at Uni (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:09
Personally I think Paterson has been one of the few bright spots this season, definitely his best season so far. Looking back at when they last signed, it looks as though Lawes, Day, Api, Craig and Paterson are all in the last year of their contracts, so guessing we could see a few changes.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:19
Carter confirmed on Twitter heís signed for a Japanese club

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:44
Why would anybody assume that Daisy would make a good coach ?
I donít think he is offering much support to the young locks hasnít taken any coaching programs hasnít declared any interest
Gotta make sure sentiment doesnít cloud judgement

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:48
I wonder if any senior players are encouraged to take coaches badges or courses once their playing career is up?

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:51
Trying to think of a stand out player that has turned into a top quality coach

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:58
Jacko Page apparently playing for Wanderers tomorrow night due to player shortage.........

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:20
Day said on the Saints Show a few weeks back that he didnít harbour any interest in coaching.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Bob Fossil
. (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:09
Long-term posters/lurkers/readers of this site may well recall that I petitioned very hard for the Saints to sign Mr Bassett in the same season that we eventually signed Mr North so there's that I guess.

It might also be worth mentioning that we were in the chase for Mr Symons two seasons ago and instead spent most of the summer trying to arrange the unsuccessful return of one Mr Manoa.
It is also probably worth mentioning that when Mr Day does retire at the end of this season we literally do not have a second row that is capable of running a line out properly. No, nor can Mr Symons.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 27/11/2017 00:35 by Robby Richmond.

stjj
stjj (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 22:16
Deesaint
Pat Lam, Johann Ackerman, Clive Woodward, Dean Richards, Rob Baxter, Eddie Jones.

HungryLikeTheWolf
26 November, 2017 23:09
Quote:
stjj
Deesaint
Pat Lam, Johann Ackerman, Clive Woodward, Dean Richards, Rob Baxter, Eddie Jones.

Ian McGeechan

These guys are forging/have forged very good coaching careers and have bucket loads of international caps previously ..... Stephen Larkham, Rob Howley, Tana Umaga, Ronan OíGara

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 06:56
Quote:
stjj
Deesaint

Blast
Shows my limited knowledge

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 08:29
Add to that Gregor Townsend after his succesful stint at Glasgow and especially after the way he has transformed the national side witness Saturdays great performance.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 08:39
To be fair to Jim, whilst he had a good if not stellar career as a player, his record as a DOR since he came to FG does stand up despite the fact the last three years have diminished his standing and reputation.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:10
I feel its good to have a 50/50 split with coaches between old players who can instill some history and build a link with the new players and those from outside who can bring new ideas and make sure the club does not stagnate.

We are currently missing an outside voice it feels.

How we cope with Day moving on will be interesting. He is the best value player we have IMO.

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 November, 2017 09:12
Alex Ferguson always changed assistant every few years.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 09:44
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Alex Ferguson always changed assistant every few years.

Too true. I have felt for a while that Jims loyalty might be his downfall.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:26
No mention of Stephen Jones

Bob Fossil
. (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 13:00
Is he not off to form a super coaching team for the Welsh national side with Dai Young & Dai Young's hairy button-monkey when Wales lose to England in the 6 nations then Eif?

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 November, 2017 14:04
Mr Richmond, Dot Connector extraordinaire.

trsaints
trsaints (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 14:38
I like the thought of signing Bassett. Another who would be a good signing along similar lines would be Alex Lewington. Taking young English players with international aspirations can work wonders, as it did when we were promoted. A backline of Groom, Biggar, Bassett, Francis, Horne, Lewington, Mallinder would be pretty fun to watch.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 16:59
Daisy is a L2 coach if that helps? (you need to be a "head" coach to do RFU L3+)

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 02:28
Robby, With Pivac more likely, he actually chose to leave Young's Wasps to join Pivac at the Scarlets. Stephen was a top top coach when he was actually playing and the result of his work at Scarlets showed up in last season's Pro12 play-offs, attacking play that the Saints can only dream of. Even last weekend with so many of their stars away and a trip to South Africa to handle they still managed 34 points with far more mistakes than usual. They even coped with a retired scrum half playing half the game having called him up from his work in Dubai.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net