rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

TringSaint
Parallels
TringSaint (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 14:28
Having taken some time to note the score in the prem over the last two weekends, something has jumped out at me (and probably to others as well) that being Worcester's results.

At the start of the season, they couldnt win for love nor money and i would have had them odds-on to go down this year, but their last two matches have been bonus point wins, one being at tigers which is some achievement.

Interestingly, their poster who came on here after our match against them (A38??) highlighted that since the start of the season, this was the first weekend that they had actually been able to put out anything like a first team and that the results beforehand were more down to the volume of injuries than they were down to just being a bit rubbish.

Looking at our injury list, we have some big holes in our team atm, and its no surprise that since we picked up injuries in key areas (North, Horne, Luther, Ribbans, etc) we have gone to pieces.

So (and i am searching for a silver lining here) once we are back up to full strength again with all of these plus dylan, courts and piers back, we may start to see some improved performances.

Still doesnt get over some of the other issues surrounding the playing style, but with a fully fit team, we can probably bludgeon our way past a few teams and get back up towards the top 4 by xmas time.

FWIW, i still think we will end up 3rd in the league as i truly believe that players like Horne will start to exert more of their style and skill into the team and this will raise the overall performance by some way.

Duckonstilts
Re: Parallels
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 15:15
I like your optimism. :-)

MESSAGES->author
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 15:52
noticeable that Wasps had similar problems but are now storming back up the table.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 16:11
Pretty much everything will revolve around the pack's performances

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 17:11
Quote:
Duckonstilts
I like your optimism. :-)

Well, with all of the doom and gloom on here, I have to at least try and be positive!!

Been with the saints through thick and thin so not going to desert them now.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 17:32
Interesting points. The way rugby is now, you will never have a full strength side out barring maybe the first game of the season. There have been many articles suggesting that injuries are increasing. I don't think we have been unduly hit more than other teams (stats may prove me wrong). For me the telling issues the last few weeks is we have played sides that work well in periods of international call ups. Our form was also worrying coming into the autumn internationals. Horne seemed a huge loss when he got injured. Seemed to lose shape defensively and guile in attack.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 17:46
Our defence is what it is for now. So we need to assume we have to score 25+ points per game.

We can do this but we must have selections and tactics that allow for it. We were attacking and scoring tried at the start of the season but we started tinkering with a few selections, resorted back to aimless kicking again, and we are back not scoring.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 18:01
Missed 19 tackles against Sale.

Former Hollywood Saint
27 November, 2017 18:15
Wuss have a habit of starting poorly and looking relegation favourites every year, only to string a few wins together at some point, thus saving themselves.

Hopefully that isn’t a parallel with us and that we’ve already had our string of wins at the start of the year.

FHS

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 02:38
Tring, check the unbalanced fixture list, other than Saracens all the very difficult away games come after Xmas. Away games against lesser oppos ike Worcester and Sale have already been lost, it ain't going to get any easier.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 08:39
An interesting post Tring.

For me, the Sale side looked better on paper and were playing at home. Worcester had some real quality in their side and like u say their win at Leicester puts our performance into perspective.

We were missing circa 20 players through injury and call-ups. So looking objectively at the team sheets I'm not surprised we lost.

Though our defence has been disappointing all season.

We are almost victims of our own success. We achieved top 4 to the point it's become viewed by many fans as a right rather than an hell of an achievement.

Whilst our backline now looks able to compete for top 4, our pack isn't near.

So nothing a couple of quality forward signings and defensive improvements can't cure IMHO.

But sadly top 4 seems beyond us this year IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 10:58
Quote:
Eif Jones
Tring, check the unbalanced fixture list, other than Saracens all the very difficult away games come after Xmas. Away games against lesser oppos ike Worcester and Sale have already been lost, it ain't going to get any easier.

I think you can probably count Gloucester as a bit tricky, but generally that's true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2017 11:01 by skybluesaint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net