rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

tedge
Wanderers v Sale Jets
tedge (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:30
Following this on Saints twitter and currently after 61 minutes Wanderers lead 56-10 having scored 8 tries all converted by Myler. I know they can only play what's in front of them but the fact that Wanderers haven't lost a match for ages is pretty ironic in the context of how the first team has performed over the same period. I suspect the Sale Jets is a much weaker side as are some of the other teams in the A League but what conclusion can be drawn from the success of the Wanderers and the relative failure of the first team and what is the benefit of a winning second team ?

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Wanderers v Sale Jets
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:41
Resource misallocation. Weíve spent good money on good players playing reserve team rugby whilst having a first team that has a poor scrum and is poorly coached in defence. Either that or Digger is better than our first team coaches! There are no other logical conclusions.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:42
Now up to 61 points. Perhaps one thing to take away is confidence. Tom Collins, for example, has scored 4 tries tonight. Thatís got to feel pretty good, although as mentioned elsewhere, having played tonight it is perhaps unlikely heíll play Friday. Confidence in the systems maybe? Confidence in each other?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:49
Quote:
ElySaint
Now up to 61 points. Perhaps one thing to take away is confidence. Tom Collins, for example, has scored 4 tries tonight. Thatís got to feel pretty good, although as mentioned elsewhere, having played tonight it is perhaps unlikely heíll play Friday. Confidence in the systems maybe? Confidence in each other?

yes but to what end ?

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 November, 2017 20:50
would love to hear a review of the Fraser x 2 in midfield from an attendee. Also Ehren Painter who Iím v hopeful of.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 21:30
Decent performance by the Wandies against a Sale team of whom I only recognised Dave Seymour. TC got four but could havd got a couple more. Smyler immaculate with the boot and acouple of lovely offloads. Team played with plenty of ambition and confidence which was a pleasure to see. No injuries to my knowledge.

Presumably Myler will be on the bench come friday and Collins should be young enough and fit enough for the eleven jersey.

Saint at Uni
Saint at Uni (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 23:09
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
would love to hear a review of the Fraser x 2 in midfield from an attendee. Also Ehren Painter who Iím v hopeful of.

Nothing special, but they certainly didn't look out of place, particularly impressive as they are all considerably younger than me! There weren't many scrums from what I remember, but when there were we had the edge. Strachan made a couple of decent carries, and the passing in the backs in general was good, we managed to shift the play out to the wings quickly and often had overlaps which Collins in particular exploited as a result.

Collins, as his four tries suggest was great, and Stephen certainly showed his class. Moon was pretty prominent, as was Ludlam, and I know I have said this many times before, but I would love Nutters to get a run in the first team.

Lastly, great to see Elliott back, if only for the last 10 minutes or so, really hope he can stay fit now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/11/2017 23:17 by Saint at Uni.

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 November, 2017 23:35
Thank you for the info mate

Saint at Uni
Saint at Uni (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 01:13
No worries HLTW, a pleasure to discuss a win for once

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 02:45
Myler's 100% kicking turned a comprehensive win into a trouncing, like Grant Fox used to do regularly for the All Blacks. Looks as if Collins has become a Graham Hick, excellent for the Wanderers but too many issues for the 1st team. Tonight his pace was far too much for Sale. Strikes me as if the Saints take these Wanderers and Anglo-Welsh games far more seriously than most other clubs.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 05:58
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
ElySaint

yes but to what end ?

I donít think building confidence has to have a particular purpose Tedge. However, Iíd rather see confident players than not. At this point, in position we find ourselves amd our run of form, any small amount of confidence the players can generate can be used as a toehold to start the climb. Bleeding long, hard climb I know. Iím not overly optimistic, but we showed some dog on Saturday, if found wanting technically and mentally (decisions, discipline), and last night we scored a hat full of tries. If by some slim miracle we turn our Prem form around weíll need dog, and weíll need tries cos we sure as heck canít seem to stop the oppo scoring.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:05
Quote:
ElySaint
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
ElySaint

yes but to what end ?

I donít think building confidence has to have a particular purpose Tedge. However, Iíd rather see confident players than not. At this point, in position we find ourselves amd our run of form, any small amount of confidence the players can generate can be used as a toehold to start the climb. Bleeding long, hard climb I know. Iím not overly optimistic, but we showed some dog on Saturday, if found wanting technically and mentally (decisions, discipline), and last night we scored a hat full of tries. If by some slim miracle we turn our Prem form around weíll need dog, and weíll need tries cos we sure as heck canít seem to stop the oppo scoring.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that if the main purpose of running a second team is to provide a stepping stone to the first team and that most of the Wanderers players rarely get that opportunity what's the use no matter how many matches they win at that level ?

steve battison
batty (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 10:06
I agree Tedge playing for the shirt is a thing from the distant past.

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:28
I reckon the debate about "wanderers players not given a chance" highlights a selection dilemma that all coaches must face from time to time and which I suspect we are no worse than anyone else in resolving. Take for example the centre partnership of Tom S and Rory H (the critics would say only given a chance through circumstance) - would you change this immediately for a fit and available Francis and Horne. More to the point how about two more centres and great prospects in Strachan and Dingwall - surely at this stage playing Wanderers rugby is important for them - or should they leap Tom and Rory to "get an opportunity". I firmly believe in the adage that if your good enough your old enough but I am content that this is a matter that coaches must judge having regard to the best interests of the players (as well as the club).

MESSAGES->author
Saint Robert (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:29
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Resource misallocation. Weíve spent good money on good players playing reserve team rugby whilst having a first team that has a poor scrum and is poorly coached in defence. Either that or Digger is better than our first team coaches! There are no other logical conclusions.
Or maybe the difference in standard between the A league and the Premiership is vast such that average players look good against poor quality opposition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net