rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Bob Fossil
Premiership may be reduced to 10 teams in bid to avert player strike
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 22:43
[www.theguardian.com]

Might explain why some of us have been getting a bit sweaty about our decline...

Eif Jones
Re: Premiership may be reduced to 10 teams in bid to avert player strike
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 00:42
A player's strike!!! Meanwhile Lawes, one of those mentioned in dispatches on the issue, seems certain to play on Friday night when he hasn't missed a game yet this season, even played in warm up games.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 06:52
Tricky one cos the clubs need revenue hence matches.

We can ditch the LV for a knockout competition and the players can take a pay cut?

Former Hollywood Saint
29 November, 2017 07:15
This may bring up the whole regional team debate again.

FHS

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 07:47
On a practical note, where do they make up the lost revenue?
A 10 team Prem means 2 fewer home games each.
Replacing the AW Cup with a traditional knockout competition means clubs going from 2 guaranteed home games to potentially none.

HungryLikeTheWolf
29 November, 2017 08:03
As I said. If the players wanna play less, they can take a pro rata pay cut?

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:07
The rich will get richer and the gap will get bigger.

As for regions, I doubt it will ever happen... who pays the owners of the clubs all the money they have put into the clubs and grounds etc to get the players?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:14
Makes a season ticket even less attractive - only 9 home league matches - pandering as much to international matches as to players' welfare

HungryLikeTheWolf
29 November, 2017 10:23
Well not if prices are adjusted down pro rata.

With less games one might assume demand per game goes up, hence season ticket more attractive.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:34
Thin end of the wedge for club rugby IMO

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:41
I don't believe the 10 team model would work any better than the current one.

The brains(?) need to decide on the model that enables the clubs to make money without the financial input of the hobbyist owners.

Trouble is, they seem to think they are owed a formula that works for them, rather than the game as a whole.

I can only see more trouble arising from this.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 11:19
yet another consequence of the subjugation of club rugby to the demands of the international circus.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:20
Iím not sure some of the sponsors and tv companies will like that idea. Can the clubs do with out a proportion of that money? I donít think asking players to take a pay cut would make up for a loss of ticket and tv revenue. Nice idea but when the game went profressional and tv companies were competing for the space this was always going to happen. There are too many competing interests here.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:24
hows about national dual contracts with the internationals spread out across all 12 teams, allowing the RFU to manage their game-time, whilst allowing clubs to build bigger squads as they wouldnt be paying 100% of the international player's salaries.

a farer spread of stars, a more equal burden of internationals games on the clubs and increased squad sizes - maybe even a single player cap would help, i.e. salary no greater than £400k for club duties (exc media etc)

That, or set up a prem a and b and have 2x 7 team mixed ability pools with the top 2 in each group playing off for the big cup and the next 4 playing off for a lower cup - only the bottom team miss out!

Top teams would play 13-14 games a year plus a national comp, and the lower teams would play 13-15 plus a national comp (bottom team plays 12 games plus national comp)

They could then run a 4 game AI period every year plus the 6N, and the top international players would still be maxxing out on 22-25 matches / year if there were no overlaps with international and domestic matches (this is basically the prem as it stands). In the down weeks, the A league is run with a nice big prize to entice teams to take part seriously.

That lowers the number of games / year, increases the size of the prem and promotes the A league which is key for the development of future stars

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:27
Imagine how frustrated you'd be as a Sarries fan

Only 10 home games, one in cape town, one in America, one in Dubai.. season ticket hike of 16% to cover 2 lost home games..

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 15:49
Tring, to late for dual contracts (or regions) now, if it was going to be done, it should have been done when game went professional.

The guys that had put millions into clubs now aren't going to lose control of their main assets, without huge pay back, which RFU wont pay.

The deal would have to be agreed by whole of the PRL, it just wont happen

(now watch it happen LOL)

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 15:58
As you say Neil, the horse has probably bolted from that stable.
There has to be a solution that works for all concerned, but mainly for the players and their clubs.

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 16:17
I don't believe for one moment that the Premiership will be reduced in size but how about reducing the Autumn International period to one game per season and ditching the end of season play offs......over to you RFU/PRL...no, thought not.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 17:08
I am a club first internationals distant second guy. The RFU is far too greedy wanting to cram more games in because they generate relatively huge income. I strongly believe the players are playing too much and yet I don't want to see fewer games at the Gardens. I can't see the clubs cutting the number of games, nor can I see the RFU reducing the number of internationals.
The crux of the problem is that as the wage bill has increased the number of players hasn't increased proportionately, so wages have shot up and the number of games played.
Larger squads required with Im sorry to say lower wages. How would the players like that, not much I suspect.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 20:05
Letís go down to 10 teams. We get let tigers and sarries drop down to the championship.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 22:43
All the clubs seem to have big squads - 50+ players in most cases. We have plenty who are not getting much rugby - we had Daisy & Paterson fully fit in the wandies last year.

Just make it a rule that players can only play in 18 prem games, minus 1 for every game they are unavailable due to international call up. Will reduce game time per player without reducing revenue.

Would make it more interesting as well, more of a squad competition, see more variety of players and shake up the results a bit too perhaps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net