rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Marching On
Teams Up: Saints vs Falcons
Marching On (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 11:50
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

John Rickerd
Teams up
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 11:43
SAINTS TEAM TO PLAY NEWCASTLE
Aviva Premiership Round 10
Franklin’s Gardens
Friday 1 December 2018
Kick off 7:45pm

15 Harry Mallinder
14 Juan Pablo Estelles
13 Rob Horne
12 Tom Stephenson
11 Ben Foden
10 James Grayson
9 Cobus Reinach
1 Alex Waller
2 Dylan Hartley (capt)
3 Jamal Ford-Robinson
4 Michael Paterson
5 Courtney Lawes
6 Tom Wood
7 Jamie Gibson
8 Teimana Harrison

16 Mikey Haywood
17 Francois van Wyk
18 Paul Hill
19 Api Ratuniyarawa
20 Mitch Eadie
21 Nic Groom
22 Piers Francis
23 Ahsee Tuala

Kieran Brookes (hand), Charlie Clare (knee), James Craig (concussion) and George North (knee) are unavailable for selection.

tboullem
Re: Teams up
Mobbs (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 11:49
So the press release regarding Ribbans and Day was just smoking mirrors....again ! I guess that Collins is just not sufficiently multi-positional to get a place on the bench....his pace could have torn Newcastle apart in the last twenty minutes. May as well wrap certain people in cotton wool for a couple of weeks before Exeter come calling.

andysaint
Re: Teams Up: Saints vs Falcons
andysaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 11:56
I'm not sure Collins is as effective with the current pack deficiencies Saints has. Front foot ball is a different matter.

A much stronger team and it's great seeing Horne, Hartley and Lawes back. Further it is great to see Stephenson and Grayson retain their places. We also have a strong bench.

A must win Saints, must win. No excuses at home.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:08
Am I missing something on England and super rugby back sitting on the bench?

That aside, Delighted with selection, the right mindset. COYS.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:25
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Am I missing something on England and super rugby back sitting on the bench?

That aside, Delighted with selection, the right mindset. COYS.

I don’t think he has set the world on fire to warrant an automatic selection. We have seen glimpses of his talent but I think it’s a good call to stick with young Grayson for now. The England stuff is a bit of a distraction for me as I think he would be better placed cementing his position at the Saints. He will get his chance soon enough

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:35
Yay, Estelles on the wing again!

All together now, (to the tune of Guantanamera)

"There's only Juan Pablo,
There is only Juan Pablo,
Only Juan Pablo,
There is only Juan Pablo!"

Stevie Myler's right boot
30 November, 2017 12:35
150th Premiership game in a row for Mr Waller

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:40
So Brooke’s only not starting due to an injury. With JFR starting, Paul Hill our once England standard TH is now our third choice?

charlieemeriau
charlieemeriau (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:49
Wood and Gibson are too similar IMO, would have preferred API in second row and Courtney at 6, Francis and Tuala I guess could have made it into the 15 if it wasnt for them coming back from international duties...

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:09
I was just thinking the same, I don't understand playing both Wood and Gibson, for me its one or the other on form. Other than that excited to see this team play.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:16
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
So Brooke’s only not starting due to an injury. With JFR starting, Paul Hill our once England standard TH is now our third choice?

I'm happy if JFR is the form prop. Would be nice if we selected on form over reputation.

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:37
Quote:
LeicesterSaint
I was just thinking the same, I don't understand playing both Wood and Gibson, for me its one or the other on form. Other than that excited to see this team play.

Totally agree - choose one of them to play at 6 and then play a proper 7 at 7 like Harrison or Ludlam!

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:41
Pretty happy with this team. It sounds like Jim has been following this forum and provided. The new Messiah, Estelles is starting which should keep some people on here happy for a bit.
I don't actually mind the combination of Wood and Gibson on the flanks and I'm looking forward to seeing Stephenson and Horne in midfield.
I'm feeling more optimistic about this game now. Saints by 10

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:56
Quite agree with walks about Francis. I liked the look of him for England last weekend but have not yet, repeat, yet seen him do a lot in a Saints shirt....time will tell.

Stingray66
Stingray66 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:07
And the Falcons are..

15 Simon Hammersley
14 Vereniki Goneva
13 Chris Harris
12 Josh Matavesi
11 Sinoti Sinoti
10 Toby Flood
9 Sonatane Takulua
1 Rob Vickers
2 Kyle Cooper
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green
5 Sean Robinson
6 Will Welch (captain)
7 Gary Graham
8 Mark Wilson

Replacements

16 Scott Lawson
17 Sami Mavinga
18 Scott Wilson
19 Will Witty
20 Nili Latu
21 Sam Stuart
22 Joel Hodgson
23 Alex Tait

alwayshopeful
alwayshopeful (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:11
A better selection but still mystified by Grayson (or Stephenson) keeping Francis on the bench.. (pleased for them, of course, but I don't get it.)

Also mystified we our back row.. 2 sixes playing 6 and 7 and a 7 playing 8, with an 8 on the bench. Surely, Tom or Jamie at 6, Lewis / T at 7 and Mitch at 8 is the more balanced..

Also got to have concerns over Harry at 15 - glimpses of class, but large portions of "head in the hands" moments.. but 15 is his best position so, maybe, fair enough to allow him time to develop into the role and improve..

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:29
I think you guys are forgetting that last Monday's Wanderers game was Lewis's first game back after being hospitalised following glandular fever. I know he's young and was looking good at the beginning of the season but a first time return is somewhat premature.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:34
Back row still a worry for me.

In my opinion Courts is the form 6 in the Prem.
So he goes at 6.
T goes at 7.
Eadie at 8.

Seems more balanced and could provide more front foot ball.
Api in too the 2nd row.

Backs -

Really happy too see Stephenson at 12. Luther has had some good games.
But Tom can run the hard lines required and defend very well, as well as having very good ability with the ball.

Wings look weak too me!

Coysssssssssss

Saintsman94
Saintsman94 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:59
Pretty Happy with this selection. I still have reservations about the back row balance like a few other people, however hopefully with the return of Courtney and Ludlam playing for the Wanderers earlier in the week, we could be seeing a much stronger back row in the next few weeks.

That would be my first choice front row, so I'm hoping they go well and and I have a lot of faith in the centre partnership of Stephenson and Horne. Would have liked to have seen Tom Collins on the wing in place of Foden but a bit of experience in the back 3 against the attacking threat that Newcastle have in theres might not be a bad thing.

Looks to me like a very strong Falcons team, much better than the one who lost to Gloucester last week and I imagine they're going to be desperate for a reaction. This could be a hell of a game, I think the strength of our bench could be the difference.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:02
I love this, great to see Grayson given another game. Great to see Stephenson selected, Piers has probably played a lot (not sure when last super rugby game was) but he can come on for Steph/Gray if needed.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:12
I'm sure Toby Flood will be looking forward to getting reacquainted with Courtney Lawes......

[www.youtube.com]

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:38
Seemed to me last week Mr Stephenson only received the ball around the 74th minute, strangely about the time Mr Myler entered the arena.
I hope that this is not repeated this week.

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:47
Please
Just win
Even if it's by a point
Let's start to put some day light between ourselves and the relegation zone.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:51
Sman94 this is the front row that was pulverised out in Clermont, not a great prospect if it is our preferred first choice.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:55
Falcons and Clermont scrum are like chalk and cheese smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:56
Quote:
Nath-coys

Wings look weak too me!

Coysssssssssss

Really!!!!!!????

Saintsman94
Saintsman94 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 16:40
Eif, I'm not at all suggesting that it's a world beating front row, just the best one I think Saints can field. I'm very much in the school of thought that we should be investing a significant sum of money into getting a/some world class prop/props for next season, Until then, I think this is the best we've got and are capable of besting their opposite numbers in Fridays game.

Who would you rather start Eif?

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:47
Quote:
Stockers
Quote:
Nath-coys

Wings look weak too me!

Coysssssssssss

Really!!!!!!????

Yes mate I do!!!!!!!!

i think Foden and estelles are good players. I am not going too go in to there weaknesses or anything.

But I do not enjoy the prospect of Sinoti or Goneva with ball in hand against them.

We need some big strong reliable wingers... They don't have too be marque players or anything like that.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 19:42
Grayson starting sends a message that if you play well you keep the shirt. Good on ya Jim. Let’s get back to players earning their shirts. Raise the standards through competition.

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 22:38
Like the Grayson selection. Francis covers 10/12 so good bench option. Looks a nice balance in backs with bench looking strong. Hopefully a few tactical changes at 50-60mins could make the difference.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 08:37
Quote:
Nath-coys
Quote:
Stockers
Quote:
Nath-coys

Wings look weak too me!

Coysssssssssss

Really!!!!!!????

Yes mate I do!!!!!!!!

i think Foden and estelles are good players. I am not going too go in to there weaknesses or anything.

But I do not enjoy the prospect of Sinoti or Goneva with ball in hand against them.

We need some big strong reliable wingers... They don't have too be marque players or anything like that.

Foden doesn’t miss many tackles, at full back over the years he’s been a very reliable last line of defence. Haven’t seen enough of JP to judge but big is not always best

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 10:33
Quote:
Mobbs
Quite agree with walks about Francis. I liked the look of him for England last weekend but have not yet, repeat, yet seen him do a lot in a Saints shirt....time will tell.

Lol he’s barely played. If we signed Beauden Barrett tomorrow is this logic ‘we haven’t seen him do it in GB&G’

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net