rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
On a personal note....
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 11:59
As this years' Movember draws to a close, I wanted to say how proud I am of Dylan, Our Captain, Our England Captain, for all his efforts over many years for raising money for Men's Health. Dylan is often criticised in the media for some of his actions during 80 minutes, but rarely praised for the work he puts in all of the other time. Time and again, you hear players comment on how totally different he is from the perceptions they may have had before they work with him. Whilst the media (especially Chris Jones from the BBC) spend all their time trying to promote the very able Jamie George ahead of Dylan, they are not seeing the bigger picture that Dylan brings to the sides he plays and captains.

I don't know why Movember has struck such a chord with Dylan, whether he has any personal reason to work so hard in fund raising for this cause, but for me, Movember is extremely personal......

Last night, in the serenity of Willen Hospice, my father lost his 9 year fight with prostate cancer.

My father is a proud Welshman. Born in the Rhondda Valley just before the second world war. In a complicated life story, he found himself living around the Stoke Poges area as a teenager and joined Slough Rugby Club as a fourteen year old hooker. He represented that club for 19 years, only leaving at the age of 33 when his job made him relocate up to Northamptonshire. During that time, he met my then to be mother at their clubhouse after a saturday fixture (3pm Kick Off no less!) and invited her to a dance being held that evening back at the club.

Rugby and the incredible social life that surrounds a rugby team, played a massive part in my parents courtship. Trips back to Cardiff to watch the mighty Welsh side of the 60's & 70's (lucky @#$%&!) and the amazing camaraderie that belonging to a rugby club entails meant that his stag-do had only one obvious location... back at Slough Rugby Club. My mother's brother, a non rugby man, attended said stag-do and declares it as a night of utter carnage... well what do you expect when their is a group of rugby players with something to celebrate?

During his time as a player, he went on to represent the RAF at rugby, even being flown over to Germany for a game! Whilst representing the service, he had the opportunity to play against the incumbent Welsh no.2 (I can't remember who) and said he gave him a 'good game'..... think Pagel v Budgen, but to a slightly lesser degree!

After growing up watching the then Five Nations on the tele, my father finally took me to my first rugby match, The Mobbs Memorial match at Franklin's Gardens in 1996. I loved it instantly. Perched on my bit of continuous wooden bench, in the old main stand at FG, I was totally absorbed by the atmosphere of a packed stadium. Being able to see first hand, the players I had watched on the television during the internationals, was amazing. I went home and duly booked tickets for the remainder of the season... the roller coaster ride had begun.

Being able to share the experience of the Saints dominating Europe with my parents and wife, at Twickenham in May 2000, is a special memory to have. You could never say he was an ardent Saints supporter (must be a welsh thing, eh Eif?) it was still a proud moment when the club that I had passionately supported since that day in 1996, finally lifted the Premiership crown. I am so glad Saints achieved that in his lifetime.

This weekend, I am working in Cardiff at the Principality Stadium, when Wales take on South Africa. When the crowd sing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadua before the match, there will be a Saint desperately struggling to hold back the tears.

I hope you'll forgive me writing a rugby obituary for my father on this message board. He was hardly Saintly, but without his love of the sport, I would never have been a Saint.

Rest in Peace Dad. xx

tboullem
Re: On a personal note....
Mobbs (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:02
Lovely tribute Ken

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:26
Sorry to hear your news - very sad. But as mobbs says, great tribute.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:30
Brave and loving tribute Ken.

Don't worry about the tears on Saturday,let them flow. We are fortunate to be part of the rugby family.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:49
A moving tribute. Condolences St. K.

Saint Mulc
Saint Mulc (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:51
My condolences on your great loss. A very fitting tribute. Thank you for sharing.

lost in duston
lost in duston (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:04
What a fantastic bloke your Dad sounded like!
Have a good cry when they sing, shout to hoarseness at the game, and then give your family a big hug

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:08
Moving tribute Kenneth and where else would such a loving eulogy involving rugby belong but on a rugby message board.

My Condolences to you and your family

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:31
Sorry for your loss Ken. That was a great tribute to your Dad. I lost my Dad a few years ago, a man who introduced me to the Saints and rugby.
Do your dad proud on Saturday and well done to Dylan for all his hard work for such a noble cause.

MESSAGES->author
BerniesBestFriend (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:54
Condolences from me & Fiona...very sad for you but a lovely story thank you...Robert

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:23
Lovely read and wondeful tribute. Many condolences youour family.

alwayshopeful
alwayshopeful (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:27
Lovely obituary.. beautiful words.

I'm sure the tears will flow Saturday... and why not???

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:55
A moving tribute. Condolences Saint.Kenneth.

Waggydog
Waggydog (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:38
That must have been very difficult to write but it was a wonderful tribute to read.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 15:42
What beautiful words and such a touching tribute
Condolences.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 17:26
I think your Dad would appreciate the words, Saint. Kenneth.

I know I do.

Let those tears flow. We all have those feelings, some buried deeper than others. Why not?

Stopsy
Stopsy (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:19
My thoughts are with you St Kenneth, sounds like a life well lived.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 20:09
Nicely written K, I'm really sorry for your loss - especially poignant for me as yesterday was also the anniversary of losing my dad, a Saints fan.

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 21:07
Lovely tribute to your Dad and our great game.

Let those tears flow on Saturday!

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 21:43
Donít worry about crying St Ken, my dad died suddenly 11 yeas who 23rd Dec, I still hate that day n build up to Christmas, it doesnít start until 24th for me.

There is no shame In Crying my friend, reading what you just wrote almost set me off and you will find from now on things can set you off, sometimes silly things!

So let the Welsh sing loud and proud, you feel proud and cry mate, itís good for you x

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 22:25
Like others above my thoughts are with you.

It sounds like your dad lived a happy and full life and the rugby anecdotes were heart-warming.

MESSAGES->author
desbralass (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 06:27
My heartfelt condolences to you and all who loved your dad.I have just lost a friend to prostate cancer,so have an inkling of the fight they fight.A lovely tribute and I second your thanks to Dylan and all Movember supporters.

Kia kaha.

Bridesmaids no more.

London_Falcon
London_Falcon (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 08:32
Popped over to read your board ahead of tonight's game and stumbled across your post.

Just wanted to say that I found your words v moving, sounds like your Dad was a great bloke.

All the best....

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:15
Condolences St Ken. A lovely tribute - Iím sure your father deserved the eulogy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net