rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

SaintsAsh
"Finding" things to support opinion
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 16:18
I know we all do it, but are we in danger of making things worse than they are by finding things to support an opinion?

Example: George Smith signs for Wasps and Wasps are hailed as being great after they saw a team improvement at the breakdown. It was a master stroke getting him in to teach breakdown work. Eddie Jones who has won 21 of the last 22 games also gets him in to do the same.

Jim Mallinder says that Brussow will be a great addition to help improve our players at the breakdown (same as above) and there are comments like: "Our coaches are so good we need players to coach the breakdown."

If he picks Stevie M, then Jim is just going with the old underperforming guard. He has now picked Grayson and people are saying: "Why not pick Stevie M"

Rugby is a game with 15 players on each side, all professional players. We do not have the right to win every game. Yes we have been under performing but might I suggest we just try and be positive, get behind the team and when we are critical we double check what we say. (telling myself this as well)

Coming onto this site sometimes feels like a drag with all the negativity, yes we have underperformed, but it is just a game and this should be entertainment smiling smiley - Rant over.

Longers
Re: "Finding" things to support opinion
Longers (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 17:30
With most of what you say, I am in agreement.

But one thing I will take you to task on, and disagree most vehemently - or at least as vehemently as the unwritten rules allow!

It is no longer "just a game" and has not been for some years. I happen to think this line of thinking is part of the apparent problem some of those reluctant to demand more of the team have with those of us who vociferously demand better.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:47
It is all good mate, is it not only a game since rugby went professional? I suppose it is a business now, but it is not life or death smiling smiley

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:47
It is all good mate, is it not only a game since rugby went professional? I suppose it is a business now, but it is not life or death smiling smiley

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 20:14
Quote:
SaintsAsh

Talking to a pal of mine yesterday who lives in Somerset. How the leagues both around Northampton and down his area, have lost many players to the game because of the demands of travelling. Now at that level, it's a game - I don't mean to offend those who still play, but it is. So how can it be right that competition is causing people to leave the game?

But consider the number of clubs now who - some successfully, some less so - pay people to play, for them it has stopped being a game and become "an earner". Some have even been so poor at business management that they have lost their grounds!

The genie is out of the bottle. I don't think you and I will get it back in.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 21:14
Life is a conundrum. I have huge respect for Stevie Myler but also recognise that a change in the guard is needed.
Grayson Jnr is a prospect that we need to bring into the game so happy for him to take the starting berth this weekend.
If he does as well as his old man, then we wonít go far wrong.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 23:08
Iím not sure why the demands of travelling should be a reason to stop playing. There are plenty of clubs whose travels are not too bad in the lower leagues. Too much other stuff going on that demands the attention of our youth to commit to one sport week in week out i suspect is the main reason

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 01:10
SaintAsh you used the word underperforming twice. This so-called underperforming is now in its third season, maybe you should re-consider your choice of word. I would say that the squad is not good enough to compete for top 4 and barely up to top 6 or 7 doesn't matter what we say on this board or how much noise we make on the week-end. As I recall we sneaked into this season's Champions Cup from 7th with the major benefit of having both play-off games at home.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 06:19
Eif, thatís how I feel. Readjusted expectations and all that. Results back it up, weíre not a top four team any longer. Given the deterioration in form, particularly this term, itís hard to argue with your assertion that weíre not top 6 either. We are were we are because we lose too often, weíre not good enough any more. One hopes this will change, of course, but there is scant sign of it in our form.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 07:01
Quote:
Walks11
Iím not sure why the demands of travelling should be a reason to stop playing. There are plenty of clubs whose travels are not too bad in the lower leagues. Too much other stuff going on that demands the attention of our youth to commit to one sport week in week out i suspect is the main reason

I think the clubs we were discussing would disagree. But hey, that's what it's all about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 07:02 by Longers.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 07:39
A lot of this is different peoples opinions though and high I for one welcome.

I think signing brussow was a brilliant idea but other will not

I think we should have dropped Mylerto the bench a season ago..but others will not.

Thatís the beauty of our different fans.

Ady32
Ady32 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 09:01
This is all relative to your perspective!

In my view we are underperforming to EXPECTATIONS of the Saints; I accept that as its been going on for longer than any of us would like then the squad and coaches may be performing to the best of their current ability ( bearing in mind that ability to perform varies with time!)

Also on the point of "its just a game". Again I think this is about perspective. To the vast majority of supporters it is just a game; one that allows some entertainment and a chance to be part of a 'tribe'. However to those who are playing and coaching that game it is their livelihoods - so to them it is way more than a game. Whilst we can always win, we should always strive to win. The players/coaches incentives ( both financial and others) should ensure that is the case. I also accept that there will be a handful of supporters who are actually FANS and it will feel far more important to them ;_)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net