rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

John Rickerd
Francis on the bench
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 20:00
Tried to post this on the 'Teams Up' but it would not let me, so posting as a new topic.

I like a lot of others were surprised to see Francis on the bench, however, I think this is a move in the right direction, in as much as Jim has been criticised in the past for being predictable, picking safe players etc., but IMO his logic is Francis long term for the Saints is a 12 + and a back-up 10, and maybe if he has a future for England likewise. So looking to the next season Bigger at 10 and Francis at 12 with Grayson on the bench. So it makes sense for Grayson to start gaining experience of playing at the Gardens, with Francis around if things donít go to plan. Just a thought loike!

andysaint
Re: Francis on the bench
andysaint (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 20:49
I tend to agree. For one reason or another he had been unavailable for a fair bit of the season and needs sometime without going back and forth to England or being injured. He will come good but hasnít shown yet why he should be the automatic starting 10.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 21:48
Francis was mainly a 12 at Blues, played 12most of first season when played, second 10 got injured, back up got injured, he moved there,did a great job and kept the shirt... can play either well, so see your logic

Scrummy
Scrummy (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 23:21
I am pleased to see Grayson getting a chance but surely he should have had that chance starting in the Anglo Welsh cup. We need to see how Piers Francis goes with a run of games at 10 sooner rather than later.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 23:25
Agree Scrummy.
Anyone would think there is no forward thinking or planning !!!

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 01:18
As Saracens have found to their cost this season, planning for international windows is an essential part of a DOR's responsibilities. Saints are fortunate in that they are not overloaded with international players but the addition of Bigger increases it by 1. Hence losing the first choice 10 and 12 has to be input to the planning process.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 07:08
I think the coaches are in a better position than us to know if Piers needs a rest or not. We do not know what he has been getting up to on England camp or how many minor knocks he is carrying around. The coaches have to manage the squad. Grayson was given the starting shirt in the last game, in the interest of momentum he has to start again. If you drop a young lad after one game it might hinder him, by all accounts he is young and eager and he will want to put any improvements that were identified in the Sale game into practice.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 07:18
Agreed Stash. We do not have the data on the players to know who should start.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 07:21
This might be slightly off topic but when we signed Piers as a 10 I was happy. If Myler retires it leaves Grayson and Francis.

But to be honest I donít really understand signing him at 12.
For 10 we have Biggar and Grayson but at 12 we now have three players who could all be starting 12s in Stephenson, Hutchinson & Francis.

We also have Burrell who I can assume is not in our long term plan.

Just seems a lot of talent in one position.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 07:50
Is Stephenson seen more as a 13?

Options are good to have especially as weíve seen this season weíve been forced to play 4 different players at 10 and itís only December due to players being unavailable.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 08:25
Quote:
andysaint
Is Stephenson seen more as a 13?
Options are good to have especially as weíve seen this season weíve been forced to play 4 different players at 10 and itís only December due to players being unavailable.

Whatís all clubs seem to have is
1. First choice 10
2. Solid back up
3. Player who can cover 10 (usually Fcool smiley
4. Academy prospect

The only issues come when one or more are internationals. Then you probably need a 5th option.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 10:31
Lol it takes a special mind of reverse logic to explain why Piers Francis is good enough for England and Eddie Jones but not good enough for Saints

It is pure madness

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 11:03
Iíve heard one decent reason. Piers went straight from a super rugby season to playing for us, so maybe a bit knackered.

Anyway Iíd have had Grayson playing for months ... at least heís there now. Itís a bit like Teimana, eventually Jim does the right thing but I pull my hair out beforehand!

greenwood
greenwood (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 11:39
Is Piers really good enough to play for Northampton ? The England selection is based on others not playing,not him keeping them out...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net