rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

andysaint
Saints vs Falcons
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 19:57
Very very scrappy so far, both teams lacking a lot of basic skills. Saints missing 10 tackles in 28 minutes. Poor Grayson looks horribly exposed in defence.

andysaint
Re: Saints vs Falcons
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:00
Very poor decision from the TMO not to award that try IMO. How can he say thatís held up when the ball hit the ground.?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:06
At the end of the first half and I really think that Saints should be ahead. Butchered a good couple of chances there with Falcons a man down.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:07
just plain wrong from the TMO claiming no clear and obvious grounding. Our decision making has been as baffling at times though too.

I really wish Foden wouldnít run into contact in such a high body position, asking to be held up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 20:08 by ElySaint.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:21
Big call, Grayson pulled off at half time. I feel sorry for the kid, a lack of help from his team mates in defence did not help.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:24
Iíd love to see the gane stats for tackles and meters made etc

I havenít noticed wood in play at all and our props canít seem to carry for their size etc

Thatís what Iíve seen so far

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 20:30 by Lamont4Saints.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:27
Where the hell are our flankers at the breakdown

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:27
Our backrow play in support and turnovers is pretty poor.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:29
Foden stealing a turnover at a breakdown with no backrow forward in sight

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:32
Interesting contrast with Monday (opposition class difference accepted) - on Monday our back row were very dynamic, getting to the breakdown and clearing out to both protect and get fast ball.

By contrast thatís where we are getting done tonight - too slow to it and not aggressive or dynamic enough when we get there.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:37
Our attacking threat seems quite one dimension. Ball comes slowly out of the ruck ball to 9 ball from 9 to 10 ball from 10 to 12. Quick rucked ball and forwards coming round the corner please Saints. Even the 9íis not sniping and using his pace.

Lamont4Saints
01 December, 2017 20:44
Must say T is playing like an 8. He needs to add some weight on but he could be our starting 8 for a while.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:47
Wonderful kick to the corner from Harry, really pushed it as hard and far as he could

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 20:48
Referee needs to sort out his positioning.

Lamont4Saints
01 December, 2017 21:14
Anyone still want to keep Jim and Dorian?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:14
What on earth can you say? Failing club failing players failing coaches another pathetic performance and pathetic result. Truely fed up of this utter rubbish from this club.

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:15
Truly outplayed by Falcons' forwards.

Good for them, we left the win out there with the botched opportunities. And there were many of them.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:15
You couldnít make it up!!
Oh well!!

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:16
Lost at the Death. Thatís now three big away wins for Newcastle, well done to them .

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:17
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Anyone still want to keep Jim and Dorian?

I'm sure we'll get the usual "stop moaning and get behind the team" stuff. When will something get done about this? Top 4? Drivel. Relegation scrap? You darn bet!

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:17
I would think most would say we was robbed due to try that wasnít awarded
But letís be honest
For 60 mins of the 80 we was críp
No other way to describe it
Flankers - no presence
Attack - what has happened
Defence - like a pin ball machine - just rubbish
What was our game plan ?
So little idea
Itís getting embarrassing
Relegation battle

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:19
Not entirely unexpected. Itís interesting to see just how many ways we can lose a rugby match though.

Not holding my breath for anything to change to be honest - weíve not got the balls for the fight, from the board down it just looks passive.

Christoff
01 December, 2017 21:21
Can't wait to hear what the Comms Department have prepared for Jim Mallinder after that. Be nice to hear something like "the board have told me that they have every confidence in what we're doing".

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:22
Ps at least we didnít lose a lineout
So much for making sure we win the set piece
Really helped

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:22
It is quite simply outrageous that this soft as anything board of Northampton Saints is allowing the players and coaches to get away with this tripe.

Newcastle did not play well. We played like a bunch of amateurs at times. Some of the attempted tackling and ball retention would look out of place at under 16 level. I thought we were mid table mediocrity. I was wrong we are bottom 4 level.

Tom Henderson
Bucksaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:24
To be fair to the team, the TMO has a shocker. Why didnít they look at the winning try (early bind)? But that shouldnít mask another dismal performance, losing to an average outfit like falcons at home. How bad will the club let things get?

Saint Avon
Saint Avon (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:29
Shockingly bad. Everything DeeSaint says plus useless discipline.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:32
Remember according to Mark Darbon we are looking to become the number 1 club in Europe. He sadly seems rather less vocal at the moment.
Still as you rightly say smitferbrainz that the usuals will be on here applauding mediocrity and slating us for simply not being prepared to aceept this slide any more.
I am a season ticket holder who can't bring myself to go any longer and just turned on the t.v to watch the second half. I think I made a good decision to stay at home with a glass of wine !!

Christoff
01 December, 2017 21:34
Official Northampton Saints Facebook feed. The criticism is brutal on there, way worse than on here ever is. So much for this forum not representing the majority of Saints fans which is another thing we've seen on here.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:35
On paper we should have won by 15 points minimum... and Newcastle arenít on form. And at home.

I just feel for the diehards like St Ted, Chris Hoddle and the others....

itís just not acceptable, the morale of the players looks shot, the morale of the majority of fans is shot... and who cares ? Does anyone at the club care, does it hurt them emotionally. Sad times, change needed on various levels.

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:36

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:36
Jimís morale looks shot on the BT interview. Showed very little fight in him.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:38
Desperately poor display against very ordinary opposition. Saints seem clueless in attack and the quality of their tackling beggars belief at times. Difficult to find anything positive so I'll stop there.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:38
Remember Jimsaid last week that it hurts them more than us fans ; in which case why was he smirking during his interview tonight.
Smitferbrainz : I think you bought a pair of tickets from me for Cardiff 2011 ... happy memories eh mate ?!!!

Christoff
01 December, 2017 21:46
Quote:
fleetg
Remember Jimsaid last week that it hurts them more than us fans ; in which case why was he smirking during his interview tonight.
Smitferbrainz : I think you bought a pair of tickets from me for Cardiff 2011 ... happy memories eh mate ?!!!

Great tickets, great view, epic game and great craic with the Leinster fans. Didn't mind the defeat as we fought like dogs until we dropped and lost because of the Sexton inspiration. We couldn't be further away from those days and most teams will fancy playing us mate. Anyone on here now who doesn't think we're in a relegation scrap is deluded in my opinion but each to their own eh?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:46
Whilst there is a lot of criticism towards Jim, these players need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Little fight or leadership on the field. These players are experienced enough to be doing a lot better than that. I strongly believe that whilst the buck stops with the coaches, I donít think some of these players we have are simply good enough especially under pressure.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:48
Iím moving between angry, apathetic depressed and disillusioned. No more typing or I will really say something I regret.... but frankly I donít care anymore

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:50
HLTW, I very much take that as a compliment, but I don't deserve to be in the same bracket as Chris, TWS etc, I just wadle round the corner and have a few beers with my mates and watch the rugby, not even close to the dedication others put in.

As for the match, I actually turned round to the Mrs after 15 minutes (who after only leaving the house with more layers than an onion only 30 minutes earlier was already freezing) and said at the point you've had enough we'll go home. She thought I was joking and we stayed till the end, I was disappointed!

I just can't see where or how we can turn this around.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:50
The half-time entertainment was excellent

Christoff
01 December, 2017 21:51
Quote:
andysaint
Whilst there is a lot of criticism towards Jim, these players need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Little fight or leadership on the field. These players are experienced enough to be doing a lot better than that. I strongly believe that whilst the buck stops with the coaches, I donít think some of these players we have are simply good enough especially under pressure.

Great debate and the debate is always sharper when we've lost. I agree about the players but as you say the buck stops with the coaching team. Our DoR, sitting safe with his contract appears unable to do anything to arrest the slide, hasn't for 3 seasons and appears unaccountable, probably because of the darn contract. If it didn't hurt do much you'd have to laugh. It's a Bl00dy joke.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:51
Oh when the saints , go marching down
Oh when the saints go marching down
I want to be in that coaching set up,
Cuz they get paid for buggggerrrrr allllll.

What was the attendance ? 8000 ? Board still not bothered? Lose at home with our internationals back? Decent. Same again next week. Can't wait.
Well done everyone involved, remember it's not the winning that counts it's the taking part that matters* At least we played our socks off and lost to a better team**

Christoff
01 December, 2017 21:53
Quote:
St.Sinner
Oh when the saints , go marching down
Oh when the saints go marching down
I want to be in that coaching set up,
Cuz they get paid for buggggerrrrr allllll.

What was the attendance ? 8000 ? Board still not bothered? Lose at home with our internationals back? Decent. Same again next week. Can't wait.
Well done everyone involved, remember it's not the winning that counts it's the taking part that matters* At least we played our socks off and lost to a better team**

Is that a transcript of the DoR's post match interview?

Groundhog7
Groundhog7 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:56
3 weeks until the next Prem fixture. If the board doesn't make changes now, I truly despair.

Tom Henderson
Bucksaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:59
The problems are multiple but the back row needs chronic work. So unbalanced and underpowered. Can nobody in the squad turn over the oppoís ruck? What are they coaching these guys?

Plus I donít buy the Ďlong contractí theory about Jm and Dw. Makes zero commercial sense to run down a failing multi £m business because of two salaries.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 21:59
The game was lost after we allowed them to score two tries in the first half
Both where created by putting big runners down young Grayson's Chanel
He couldn't tackle them and they broke our defence
But on both occasions where was our 6 and 7 - playing guard / no where to be seen
Very poor display by both Wood and Gibson
Evident by the number of turnovers against us

T is NOT a 8
Too small too lightweight
Should be playing 7

Like Horse - best to stop now

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:00
What's the old adage....insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:03
I will refrain from the usual stuff bŤcause quite frankly I am losing interest and a nothing game against Ospreys next week is hardly worth the effort, I would far rather watch the Wandies with a few hundred other bravs souls. Quite where the next league win will come from is difficult to imagine.

What I will says this; for the first time in many a long year I listened to reflink and I was amazed just how much input the TMO had into the boy referees ear, it seemed incessant. I know the party line is that the authorities want to see correct decisions but I would prefer the TMO being there for the occasions when the ref asks for assistance and no more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 22:06 by Mobbs.

Cransley Saint
Cransley Saint (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:15
If you need to see some decent rugger, Kettering v O.N's tomorrow. 2.15 kick off at Waverley Rd, 3rd v 6th, guaranteed to be a cracker.

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 23:28
Oh, do grow up, all of you...

Frightened of saying something you might regret, are you?

If you had half an ounce of the talent and skill and commitment of the Saintsmen out there tonight, and lost, and saw their hurt, you might have a right to criticise coaches, players, all and sundry.

But you havenít.

Go and read Kipling.

If.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/99/99_0_1202835632.jpg
*I could agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong...*

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 23:37
Oh Dear.
I think the statement beneath the flag tells us all we eed to know !

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 00:11
Where's the man who gave the Maybot her P45 when we need him?

A tale of 2 outside halves, our replacement came on at half time and created pace (who decided that Grayson was up to it?), their replacement came on for the end game and also created pace, field position, resulting in the winning try.

We recruited over last summer but failed to do anything about an open-side, what would have been my no 2 priority with a no 10 as 1st. Anybody who watched the Scarlets last season would have noticed the number of ruck turnovers they made, they have 3 back row forwards who contribute and what a difference it makes (glad to hear that their star at this, James Davies, is back playing from injury this weekend). Tonight our back row managed zero turnovers whilst their guys managed three.

Nowhere near top 6 standard game, more bottom 4, with a deserved win for the Falcons considering they were the away team.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 00:14
Was trying to avoid the score and watch the recording tomorrow. Failed miserably. From reading this thread briefly, I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?

jdusty964
jdusty (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 00:51
A few errors aside I thought we actually played quite well in phases tonight, would everyone still be on here moaning if we had been allowed the two tries that were disallowed?

If anything we should have won that game with a try to spare and a bonus point. Sometimes the decisions can go against you.

We may not make top 4 this season but I firmly believe we will be in the top 6. There is some good talent coming through the ranks now and I feel that we may start to see more over the next few games.

This was the first game I have seen in a while were our scrum has not been taken apart so I will take that as a positive.

Lamont4Saints
02 December, 2017 03:48
Wrong lock pairing
Wrong back row
Wrong half half
Wrong wings

Well done on selection Jim

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 07:55
Quote:
Saint Dom

If you had half an ounce of the talent and skill and commitment of the Saintsmen out there tonight, and lost, and saw their hurt, you might have a right to criticise coaches, players, all and sundry.

But you havenít.

Go and read Kipling.

If.

I wonder if this is one of the kind of posts St Ted was referring to in his Ďrespectí Ďthink before you postí at the top of the thread list

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 07:55
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Wrong lock pairing
Wrong back row
Wrong half half
Wrong wings

And the right ones were?

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:25
Quote:
Deesaint
Quote:
Saint Dom

But you havenít.

Go and read Kipling.

If.

I wonder if this is one of the kind of posts St Ted was referring to in his Ďrespectí Ďthink before you postí at the top of the thread list

This is exactly what I mean.

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 09:08
Hello all, been on a while but refrained from posting. Had to jump in. Itís mid season, if the board get rid of Jim and Dorian now, who is going to step in mid season? No one. Letís all think about stuff before we post please. Itís hard to watch I know, I have supported this great team for 35 years now. But the guys looked hurt and battered so I canít complain that they donít care, they do care like we all do. But please letís all stop asking for the board to sack people, it will be the wrong thing to do mid season.
Itís hurts yes of course it does. Letís see where we end up at the end of the season and then all feel free to comment. Until then letís all get behind the team. Last night the ground was empty, no atmosphere, what sort of message does that send to the players?
Letís get behind them, make plenty of noise and cheer them home

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 09:29
Really not going to watch the recording now. Couple of posters advising folk to grow up or advising when people can pass opinions, and that's just on this last page. It's a forum. After another defeat to an average side at home, the tone of this thread is likely, it shouldn't shock people. Why not merely put an opposing viewpoint across.

Christoff
02 December, 2017 09:30
Quote:
Saintalex
Hello all, been on a while but refrained from posting. Had to jump in. Itís mid season, if the board get rid of Jim and Dorian now, who is going to step in mid season? No one. Letís all think about stuff before we post please. Itís hard to watch I know, I have supported this great team for 35 years now. But the guys looked hurt and battered so I canít complain that they donít care, they do care like we all do. But please letís all stop asking for the board to sack people, it will be the wrong thing to do mid season.
Itís hurts yes of course it does. Letís see where we end up at the end of the season and then all feel free to comment. Until then letís all get behind the team. Last night the ground was empty, no atmosphere, what sort of message does that send to the players?
Letís get behind them, make plenty of noise and cheer them home

Alex, I do want Jim Mallinder and Dorian West replaced but I'm certain nothing will happen until their contracts end sadly. We've been saying, or some have how hurt the players have been looking, fair enough. I think I noted a post after the Wuss game I think where it was noted some players were laughing and joking and appeared not to be that bothered. There comes a point where some intervention needs to happen to try and put things right. At the end of this season we may be in the championship. I'm not going to wait until the end of the season to comment. Look st Facebook and compare it to these threads. It's far more measured on here. It's not about getting behind the team for me anyway. I shout myself horse when I'm at games and if I can't make them and watch on the telly then I shout myself horse. The ground was empty, no atmosphere last night for a reason. What message are the players sending the other way.

Cransley Saint
Cransley Saint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 09:38
Ben Kay,who is one of the better ones, says Dylan's "try" was a try every day of the week. Tackled short and then clearly placed the ball on the line with no 2nd body movement. Guess when things are against you, they are really against you.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 09:40
Talking of If

If only either of the two disallowed tries had been awarded we would have had a bonus point victory.

Emotions are likely to run high after such a defeat and in the context of our season and where we were a few years back.

But then you will be a fan my son.

The only certainty in sport is lots of disappointments which make the good times all the sweeter.

lizard118
lizard118 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:03
Quote:
Bucksaint
To be fair to the team, the TMO has a shocker. Why didnít they look at the winning try (early bind)? But that shouldnít mask another dismal performance, losing to an average outfit like falcons at home. How bad will the club let things get?
I know you guys lost, but are these sort of disrespectful comments necessary in rugby? It seems like we're going down a very bad football path whenever teams lose. Give it a break. It's not as if Falcons haven't beaten saints 4 games in a row now. Let's have some respect back in the game. In case people have forgotten about rugby values, respect is one of them.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:36
Quote:
SaintMaul
Talking of If
If only either of the two disallowed tries had been awarded we would have had a bonus point.

That isnít necessarily true though. The rest of the game would play out differently if Dylanís first had been awarded. Simple causality. The rest of the game wouldnít play out identically. Saying that it was a poor call and could have given us the platform. We keep teams in games too often these days. Weí look shot psychologically.

trummy200
trummy200 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 13:34
I am going to interject if you don't mind. If Hartley's try had been given it would have been a travesty of justice since a few phases before it looked as ifthere was a clear forward pass. I may be wrong but since it was not reviewed that is my opinion

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 15:00
There was a clear forward pass before the second Falcons try.
But there was no TMO referral.

Sometimes, though, it seems as if we watch endless TMO replays or fake injuries with a bit of rugby in the intervals.

Last night was a bit like that.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/99/99_0_1202835632.jpg
*I could agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong...*

Lamont4Saints
02 December, 2017 15:05
Quote:
Sans Culottes
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Wrong lock pairing
Wrong back row
Wrong half half
Wrong wings

And the right ones were?

API or Day with Paterson
Lawes at 6, T at 7 Andy Eadie at 8
Piers should have started.
As should have Collins instead of Foden.

Lawes has been playing much better at 6 and we needed the weight of Day or Api in the row.
T is too small currently for 8, he is however our best 7 by a mile. Eadie should have started as heís a proper 8 (which we lacked).
Piers was a game changer when he came on (heís an England and super rugby player so have always started).

Wings is probably my opinion because of form and Foden being too slow. The rest are just obvious.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 16:48
Quote:
trummy200
I am going to interject if you don't mind. If Hartley's try had been given it would have been a travesty of justice since a few phases before it looked as ifthere was a clear forward pass. I may be wrong but since it was not reviewed that is my opinion

Itís a good point, but how many phases back would you check? Was it immediately material to the score - Iím not sure it was.

NorfolkFalcon
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 21:13
Quote:
ElySaint
Quote:
trummy200

Itís a good point, but how many phases back would you check? Was it immediately material to the score - Iím not sure it was.

Agree with that. You can't refer a decision based on something that happened 10 phases before if the TMO hasn't already been talked too. It was a clear forward pass though but then again decisions went against both sides at times.

Stevie Myler's right boot
03 December, 2017 07:50
There were poor decisions made for both sides - not one of the best ref/TMO performances but have seen worse ie Clermont.
Iím firmly of the camp that you need to play well enough that a bad reffing decision doesnít effect the result - we donít seem to be able to do that so point the finger at the ref

Whiston Saint
Whiston Saint (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 13:00
I totally agree that PF should have started but ultimately it was his kick out on the full following the turnover that gave away the territory, leading to the winning try.

We should be starting with our best team from within the squad available. It is mystifying why we play 2 6s and a 7 with only one in their rightful position. I cannot criticise Tomís commitment but I would start with Gibson at 6, T at 7 and a proper 8, maybe Eadie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net