rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Big daddy 3
We need to start again
Big daddy 3 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:33
No need for big name sighings just wipe the slate clean top to bottom with few exceptions coaches and players

tedge
Re: We need to start again
tedge (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:36
Just not feasible - you can't get rid of lots of contracted players

Big daddy 3
Big daddy 3 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:42
Thatís not what Iím saying but you canít disagree the TEAM has to be radically changed throughout

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 05:32
Again... it takes 2-3 years to Ďclear outí a squad with length of contracts. We saw a higher than normal number of players leave at the end of last season so would suggest this process has already started to some degree. George North leaving may be a blessing in disguise as it frees up a good sum of money and marquee slot.

It is also quite difficult to bring in quality in numbers in one go.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 07:07
If this form continues, the board need to figure out how much itís going to cost us in lost ticket and sponsorship revenue vs the pay offs. We are no longer paying Picamoles and North is leaving so that is a good chunk of money freed up. Perhaps signing Biggar was not smart after all.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 09:20
I agree about Biggar. Of course he may have clauses in his contract which may mean he won't come. For me we'd be better sticking with Francis as the starting 10 for the foreseeable and bringing Grayson on. We need to be recruiting forwards mostly. I think it will be telling what happens with Courtney. If he were to go, well things would get interesting. If you look at Exeter they are more the model in my opinion. 1-23 they are no better player for player as a whole for me yet they are miles ahead of us because they are a team, well drilled, well coached, together, current game plan, willing to change as needs arise.

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:02
My thought, and many may disagree with me but, over the years we've moaned about having no depth, I personally feel this has now gone completely the other way. The Wanderers results back this up too, they aren't so much a development team as a team of almosts (put like that it sounds harsh but that's my honest opinion) we have a squad made up of loads good players and only a couple who will set the world alight.

This aside there seems to be something culturally wrong within the club, the passions completely gone, no one hits rucks, forwards aren't looking to break tackles, backs chase the ball about with no structure and god forbid we try a backs move.

Last night was a prime example of how we missed out on being clinical and putting the game away because people were playing as individuals rather than a team. Where the faults lay, i don't know but its clear to see everyone is frustrated and something needs to change.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:27
Quote:
Big daddy 3
Thatís not what Iím saying but you canít disagree the TEAM has to be radically changed throughout

Can you describe what that would look like please?

lechef
lechef (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 12:06
If this was football the Director of Rugby would be sacked, 1 win in the last 9 games, is not good for a quality team. At the end of the day the buck must stop with Jim Malinder, and the rest of the coaching staff.

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 13:02
It is funny how folks can see a game so differently - I see no lack of passion, endeavour or desire. To suggest that forwards aren't "looking" to break tackles is slightly ridiculous. Just review the efforts of Courtney and the back row last night. The problem is that we lack sufficient skill - that was the difference
Picamoles made last year.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 13:32
On the question of "depth".
Simply recruiting more and more players that really have no chance of breaking through is not increasing the depth of the squad. It's called mediocrity. Depth is when a club has a top quality 23 and another 12 players that can readily step up when called upon. It is also about playing and developing the 12 carefully in a planned way.
Yesterday we saw James Grayson start his first premiership game, a must win game by the way, and an England international who we specifically recruited for this position on the bench. That proved to be a perfect example of what should not be done.
James should have been developed and given opportunities in the AW competition, but no we played Myler. Come on Jim start using your head.

Just to be clear this is not a criticism of James he should have been played last year, and should be ready as first choice next year instead of wasting resources on a mega recruitment.

Stevie Myler's right boot
03 December, 2017 07:53
Totally agree letís get him to start his first game at FG in a must win situation - not like heaping more pressure on the lad

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 08:36
As a card-carrying Myler supporter, I look back at Jim's approach to the position of Fly Half and wonder why anyone would expect him to show anything other than befuddled logic when selecting for this position.

He hardly has a good track record in this area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net