rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
In praise of Alex Waller
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 09:56
Few highlights last night, but Alex trundling down the wing brought back echoes of Tiny in his pomp.
His injury looked pretty bad as he came off, it looks like the end of the record run.

Wishing a speedy recovery to Alex.

MESSAGES->author
Re: In praise of Alex Waller
Stockers (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:57
thumbs down

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 11:00
He looked in a great deal of pain with his arm strapped in a sling
Iíve no doubt he puts his hand up every single time as a starter
While his record is exceptional you do wonder if his time on the pitch had been shared 60min one week 20 next he might have had time to develop and improve
Others will know far better than me

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 11:50
Agree with all of the above. Fantastic club servant and his commitment cannot be questioned. If only he could have made the line.....
I do question though whether 150 consecutive premiership games highlights one of the weaknesses of selection policy. No resting, no rotation with which, perhaps he could have progressed further. I know nothing about front row play though so perhaps itís rubbish.

NorthSaint
NorthSaint (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:02
I can only agree with all of the above. His work ethic and commitment to the club was highlighted last night when he'd injured his shoulder, he trundled back into the defensive line despite being in what looked like tremendous amounts of pain and even got his body in the way of one of the drives. If only all the players on the pitch could show that level of commitment week in week out...

Lets hope for a speedy recovery if its a bad one.

Although part of me is sneakily looking forward to seeing more of Van Wyk rather than just his usual 5 minute run out at the end of the game. This could increase the competition for the jersey and mean that Alex gets a bit of a rest now and again! Let's hope he's up to the challenge.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:36
Maybe itís just me but you look at other loose heads who carry hard and make some thumping tackles and Alex looks like a pretty average player.

Rarely do I see him make an impact on a game, one run doesnít really mean anything, especially down the wing. Where was his carrying into the forwards? Where was his tackles that stopped moment.

Great club man but if you want to praise a player, praise T after last night. One of the 3 or 4 decent forwards we have.

Rushdenboy
Rushdenboy (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 19:12
Praise ? Thought it was too good to last !

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 22:22
The man has given everything to the club in his career so far. His endurance has been astounding. Part of me is thankful his run will now end though. Its kind of taken over

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 23:41
Iím all of praise for Alex and his continuous run but on the other hand isnít this just symptomatic of everything thatís wrong at this club at the moment. 23 players get picked for the games but one of them is on that sheet 150 times, why?

Is Alex the best the club has over the whole of this time? Do we not have another loosehead pushing him to the limit for that shirt?

Obviously not if the only way another loosehead can get the start is when he gets injured.

Great run Alex and respect for you but we shpuld have someone pushing him totally for the shirt.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 23:42
It's a blessing in disguise, the poor bloke needs a rest, he's got played till his body has literally given way. Must say though, what a tough bloke. Most players would be envious of his resilience!

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 08:41
Quote:
JohnI
Iím all of praise for Alex and his continuous run but on the other hand isnít this just symptomatic of everything thatís wrong at this club at the moment. 23 players get picked for the games but one of them is on that sheet 150 times, why?
Is Alex the best the club has over the whole of this time? Do we not have another loosehead pushing him to the limit for that shirt?

Obviously not if the only way another loosehead can get the start is when he gets injured.

Great run Alex and respect for you but we shpuld have someone pushing him totally for the shirt.

+1

And we did have someone pushing him hard - Ethan - But we come back to your earlier comment regarding appearing on the list 150 times. No wonder Ethan left.

welsh wasp
welsh wasp (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 13:03
Great player but a prop playing so many consecutive games can't be good for him. Most other teams seem to ensure that their front row gets some rest. Mullen at Wasps rarely seemed to get injured but he didn't seem to want to break any records for games played. Sadly he is now injured and missed the opportunity to stay with the England squad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net