rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

lechef
If this was football
lechef (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:14
If this was football the Director of Rugby would be sacked, 1 win in the last 9 games is not good for a quality team. At the end of the day the buck must stop with Jim Malinder, and the rest of the coaching staff.

MESSAGES->author
Re: If this was football
shendy (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:34
It's not football, so please re-state your case in valid terms.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:42
Ok let me put forward an argument.

The style of play, players recruited and selection is terrible.

We put a lock combo out that doesn’t work, a back row that doesn’t function together.
Our best 6 played 4, our best 7 played 8. Our best 8 was on the bench. Our best fly half was on the bench and had to be brought on very early.

We have failed to recruit correctly or in the needed positions for the last 3 years. We have 3 England tight heads and no quality at loose head, yet we still have a terrible scrum.

Our forwards take the ball statically unless we’ve been turned over (which usually happens).

I mean I could go on but really Jim and Dorian have made some terrible decisions and should walk away.

They are so out of their depth it’s pathetic. Every one whose got half a rugby brain can see these things yet Jim and Dorian can’t???

No reason to keep them in charge.

Pool_falcon
Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:54
As an outsider, the scrum seems the least of your worries. I actually think your recruitment has been pretty good, Picamoles obviously a huge loss and he hasn't been replaced.

Saints issue to me is the tactics, they are awful. Mallinder still seems to think he has this all conquering pack which can grind opposition into the ground.....you don't. Past the rolling maul, there is nothing. You have a cracking squad but no direction, how has this guy lasted so long with such turgid play?

Pool_falcon
Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:55
I'd happily take Waller at Falcons, I think he's immense.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 16:55
Quote:
Pool_falcon
As an outsider, the scrum seems the least of your worries. I actually think your recruitment has been pretty good, Picamoles obviously a huge loss and he hasn't been replaced.
Saints issue to me is the tactics, they are awful. Mallinder still seems to think he has this all conquering pack which can grind opposition into the ground.....you don't. Past the rolling maul, there is nothing. You have a cracking squad but no direction, how has this guy lasted so long with such turgid play?

You seem to be implying we have a rolling maul...

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 17:35
Was going to say, our rolling maul has been as effective as a chocolate teapot for a few seasons now!

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 21:32
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
We put a lock combo out that doesn’t work, a back row that doesn’t function together.
Our best 6 played 4, our best 7 played 8. Our best 8 was on the bench. Our best fly half was on the bench and had to be brought on very early.

Best 6 at 4 - agreed.

Harrison is not ideally a 7 - he can play there, but if he was 15kg heavier nobody would talk about him as a 7 - his inclinations are much more towards 8. He is on form and should start. Eadie less so. Wood really off. Gibson is tireless and skilful, but lacks a bit of heft.

So...

Lawes
Harrison
Gibson

Bench: Eadie & Wood as Gibson & Lawes can both play lock. Or, drop Wood and bring in another player - we do have them!

Start Api at lock - he's a big lump, the largest guy in a slightly lightweight looking squad, and he plays with the commitment Fijians always seem to bring to the game.

Best fly half? We only seem able to win with Harry at 10 at the minute. If it ain't broke...

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 22:13
Disjointed is what we seem to be. We dont play tactics that suit our players. Our forwards are mostly quick and mobile yet we try to use them as bludgeons.

I blame the coach. And at this point the man who keeps him there.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 07:43
Thank goodness it’s not football or anything like. Corrupt managers whose only interest is lining their pockets, get sacked knowing you have another multi million pound contract to manage elsewhere around the corner.

Agree Lawes at 6, but I think both Daisy and Ribbans weren’t quite ready for action so forced into playing Courts at 4. Hopefully Broussow’s arrival will help the balance of the back row

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 08:32
Quote:
Walks11
Agree Lawes at 6, but I think both Daisy and Ribbans weren’t quite ready for action so forced into playing Courts at 4. Hopefully Broussow’s arrival will help the balance of the back row

I'm curious about the comments regarding the back row and the size of T. particularly compared to Eadie.

His profile lists him at 1.88m.
Eadie is listed as 1.85m
Nisaam Carr is listed as 1.84m
Roger Wilson was listed as 1.89m
Nathan Hughes is listed as 1.95m.

A spread of names to highlight my confusion. T is barely any shorter than Roger Wilson, a man we often hark back to.
Nisaam Carr is actually shorter.
Eadie is shorter, yet held up as a better option.
Only Nathan Hughes - on my personal list - shows any significant difference in height.

So why is it that so many refer to his size when saying he can't play 8?

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 09:12
He has the cm's ... just lacks the kg's . Compare to Billy Vinipola, Picomoles, Falatau etc. You need that size to battle it out as a top no.8. He has all the right attributes elsewhere, hopefully something a good conditioning coach could sort out over a pre season window.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 09:23
THe question could be asked why this conditioning and increase in kg wasn’t done in this year’s pre-season.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 09:29
IMO Eadie is no better than T if even equal, from what I have seen of him carries know where as well, if T plays at seven then Big Sam has to start at eight.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 10:08
Quote:
Longers
Quote:
Walks11

I'm curious about the comments regarding the back row and the size of T. particularly compared to Eadie.

Eadie is listed as 1.85m

A spread of names to highlight my confusion. T is barely any shorter than Roger Wilson, a man we often hark back to.
Only Nathan Hughes - on my personal list - shows any significant difference in height.

I don’t have an issue with T at 8 Longers. To massage and Eddie Jones comment slightly we seem to have a lot who are very similar 6 1/2’s if you like rather than an out and out 7 and 8.

To be clear about Eadie he was recruited as a 6/8 as a back up to Picamoles. Picamoles leaving put the coaches in a predicament at a really poor time as it was too late to react and sign a like for like (or at least somewhere near) We have to accept for this season we are not going to have an ideal back row balance

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 13:08
Quote:
Walks11
Quote:
Longers
Quote:
Walks11

Eadie is listed as 1.85m

I don’t have an issue with T at 8 Longers. To massage and Eddie Jones comment slightly we seem to have a lot who are very similar 6 1/2’s if you like rather than an out and out 7 and 8.

To be clear about Eadie he was recruited as a 6/8 as a back up to Picamoles. Picamoles leaving put the coaches in a predicament at a really poor time as it was too late to react and sign a like for like (or at least somewhere near) We have to accept for this season we are not going to have an ideal back row balance

thumbs down

Lamont4Saints
03 December, 2017 15:03
T is one of our best players. He can play 8 very well but really needs to add 10 kilos or so to be really effective.

Wood and Gibson at 6 or 7 don’t carry enough. You need a back row forward to offer more than they do. I’ve thought Gibson has played well this season so maybe Lawes, Gibson, T as we probably won’t see Lewis start at 7 yet (although he should be).

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 16:16
Broussow solves that problem in 6 weeks I hope.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 18:13
For me the weakness in the back row is the clear outs, Wood and Gibbo seem to make a meal of them, we miss a bruising flanker (like Clark)

We are getting turned over because the back rowers don't have enough heft to move players of the ball.

Lamont4Saints
04 December, 2017 07:47
Quote:
SaintsAsh
For me the weakness in the back row is the clear outs, Wood and Gibbo seem to make a meal of them, we miss a bruising flanker (like Clark)
We are getting turned over because the back rowers don't have enough heft to move players of the ball.

While I agree with that, a lot of the reasons we get turned over is how and where we go into contact. Static runners running into people and not between them. These are basic skills that have gone missing. We look like England did in the Johnson era.

You see Lawes does this very well, runs between to defenders and breaks the game line as does T. Our props and others dont, they just run into a wall and get smashed.

Casual Saint
Casual Saint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:25
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Quote:
SaintsAsh

While I agree with that, a lot of the reasons we get turned over is how and where we go into contact. Static runners running into people and not between them. These are basic skills that have gone missing. We look like England did in the Johnson era.

You see Lawes does this very well, runs between to defenders and breaks the game line as does T. Our props and others dont, they just run into a wall and get smashed.

Completely agree, body position into contact was woeful on Friday night. Not helped by support players not arriving quickly enough or not do enough when they did. Newcastle were winning most of the collisions in the first half and yet there was no plan B in the second half.

Once a scrum half .... always a scrum half

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net