rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board




acl saint
Who can we beat??
acl saint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 08:56
Exeter....home
Quinn’s...away
Glos...home
Bath...away
Irish...home
Exeter...away
Sale...Home
Newcastle...away
Sarries...home
Tigs...away
Wasps...away
Worcester...home

With the above left to play, in our current form I can’t see many points coming which is very concerning .



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 09:09 by acl saint.

 
rugbymel
Re: Who can we beat??
rugbymel (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:07
Newcastle-away!
Last Friday is still etched on the memory.

We may need something from the last game.

 
trsaints
Re: Who can we beat??
trsaints (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:09
The 3 that I see hope for are Irish(home), Sale(home) and Wuss(home), even then I'm not holding out much hope.

 
ElySaint
Re: Who can we beat??
ElySaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:11
Quote:
trsaints
The 3 that I see hope for are Irish(home), Sale(home) and Wuss(home), even then I'm not holding out much hope.

+1



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 09:11 by ElySaint.

 
Saint 16
Re: Who can we beat??
Saint 16 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:22
Remember when it used to be wondering which might not be bankers?

 
andysaint
Re: Who can we beat??
andysaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:38
Any team can beat anyone in the league as Worcester showed against Leicester at home.

 
HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Who can we beat??
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:46
Long Buckby

Second XV, to be safe.

 
Duckonstilts
Re: Who can we beat??
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:18
We will win one we dont expect. We will loose one we dont expect. Its the Saints Way :-)

 
MarchingIn
Re: Who can we beat??
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:30
From a recent thread on the Saracens board:

Quote:
#wolfpack
So far by my count we've had 2 incredible performances against Northampton and one very good half against Wasps at home, and that's about it in terms of playing well this season.

Interesting to note that their only incredible performances happened to coincide with two of Saints terrible ones.

So far at the top table (prem / europe) we've had great performances against Bath & Tigers, decent showings against Quins, Irish & Gloucester, lacklustre performances against Wasps and Clermont... and the rest has been fairly terrible - Worcester, Sale, Falcons & Saracens x2.

The theme there isn't one of coming up short against the top sides, it's a terrible collapse in form. Any of those remaining games could be won by the current squad - whether they will be is another matter.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 10:32 by MarchingIn.

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Who can we beat??
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:22
the return of North, Burrell, Day and Ribbans; Eadie and Francis settling in; and the arrival of Brussow - these might help. Of course, I might be guilty of wishful thinking.....

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Who can we beat??
shendy (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:42
So shall we just apply to the Prem for relegation now?
To those who say "I can't see any prospect of us improving at all", I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

 
herbie85
Re: Who can we beat??
herbie85 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:11
Quote:
MarchingIn
From a recent thread on the Saracens board:
Quote:
#wolfpack
So far by my count we've had 2 incredible performances against Northampton and one very good half against Wasps at home, and that's about it in terms of playing well this season.

Interesting to note that their only incredible performances happened to coincide with two of Saints terrible ones.

So far at the top table (prem / europe) we've had great performances against Bath & Tigers, decent showings against Quins, Irish & Gloucester, lacklustre performances against Wasps and Clermont... and the rest has been fairly terrible - Worcester, Sale, Falcons & Saracens x2.

The theme there isn't one of coming up short against the top sides, it's a terrible collapse in form. Any of those remaining games could be won by the current squad - whether they will be is another matter.

Were we great against Leicester? I'm not saying we weren't good, but as previously said on here, that was no Leicester team. I think if we played them now it would be a different story, they have picked up a lot. And us? Well I'm not sure where we are

 
West Haddon Saint
Re: Who can we beat??
West Haddon Saint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:11
The very sad thing is that we can no longer assume points from any of our remaining games. Wuss beat us for their first win of the season. Newcastle beat us for their first win in 5.

What hope have we against Exeter, Bath, Sarries, Quins & Glos?

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Who can we beat??
Saint Robert (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:19
Quote:
West Haddon Saint
The very sad thing is that we can no longer assume points from any of our remaining games. Wuss beat us for their first win of the season. Newcastle beat us for their first win in 5.
What hope have we against Exeter, Bath, Sarries, Quins & Glos?

There's always hope - just might be that of a snowball in hell.

 
Deesaint
Re: Who can we beat??
Deesaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:29
For me the first thing we need to do is settle on who is playing in key roles ( injuries allowing)
Including Harry we have had four different players start at 10. Just can’t get continuity and understanding if that position is changed so regularly
The centres need time to understand each other
Where and when does the 15 come into the line

Locks - have we played the same two yet ?
Backrow - doesn’t work but the 8/9 partnership is crucial- they need to understand each other

We seem to swap so regularly that it breaks any confidence continuity and understanding
Hence we play as individuals not as a team

 
HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Who can we beat??
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:49
Quote:
skybluesaint
the return of North, Burrell, Day and Ribbans; Eadie and Francis settling in; and the arrival of Brussow - these might help. Of course, I might be guilty of wishful thinking.....


The team sent out against Worcester and Newcastle should have won those games at a canter.


That is the issue. For victories if we have to rely on a fully fit team, a new arrival to teach our backrowers how to jackal and our super rugby back hitting form..... well, be lucky boys.

 
Christoff
Re: Who can we beat??
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 19:22
So, we're agreed that this is a relegation battle then? Top 6......tosh!

 
TringSaint
Re: Who can we beat??
TringSaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 19:37
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Long Buckby
Second XV, to be safe.

Don’t be daft!! The seconds have got at least a couple of guys under 35 in their squad. Colts, however could be ground down over 80 mins in order to squeak in a victory, say 6-5 in our favour!!*

 
ch saint
Re: Who can we beat??
ch saint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 21:09
Quote:
TringSaint
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Long Buckby
Second XV, to be safe.

Don’t be daft!! The seconds have got at least a couple of guys under 35 in their squad. Colts, however could be ground down over 80 mins in order to squeak in a victory, say 6-5 in our favour!!*

Fond memories of Buckby, lets not be under estimating them. I'm convinced Saints would struggle at Station Rd, if the grass was long, it was raining, and of course no TMO.

 
TringSaint
Re: Who can we beat??
TringSaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 21:28
Those were the days when you turned up to play for the colts and ended up playing seniors (3rd's and 4th's) - could run rings around the old guys most of the time, but when they caught you, my god it hurt!!

 
HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Who can we beat??
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 21:35
Quote:
TringSaint
Those were the days when you turned up to play for the colts and ended up playing seniors (3rd's and 4th's) - could run rings around the old guys most of the time, but when they caught you, my god it hurt!!

The Colts of 1997/98 would have battered this lot... edgy, torvill, stafferton, bushell etc

 
TringSaint
Re: Who can we beat??
TringSaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 21:57
few years after me - i was playing there 91-93

 
Saint Stokey
Re: Who can we beat??
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 16:26
in all seriousness, we could beat anyone in the league.

On paper, we have the squad to do it. All that we need is a win to allay any player fears. Then a couple more to bring back confidence.

Whilst we may be down in 10th, the League is very tight and a couple of wins could dramatically change the position. We've lost our last 5 league matches and yet we are only 6 points off 6th place. Had we had won against Gloucester and Newcastle which could easily have happened with a little more luck, we would most likely have been in the top 6, and whilst not happy that we weren't in the top 4, we would have at least been where most thought we'd finish.

It is all about confidence and that can surely only come with playing ourselves out of the slump.

I do not believe that the effort of the players is at fault, the desire or the passion... I believe its simply down to an initial bit of bad luck, some unfortunately times suspension & injuries, then most importantly, confidence.

Hopefully a couple of good results against Ospreys will have us ticking along again.

 
Saintalex
Re: Who can we beat??
Saintalex (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 21:19
I love your optimism Saintstockey

 
Lamont4Saints
Re: Who can we beat??
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 07:49
Quote:
Saint Stokey
in all seriousness, we could beat anyone in the league.
On paper, we have the squad to do it. All that we need is a win to allay any player fears. Then a couple more to bring back.

Just laughed out loud at that. Great joke Jim.
We have a shockingly weak squad overall, top that off with the worst forwards coach in the league and we will be lucky to beat London Irish!

 
MESSAGES->author
Re: Who can we beat??
Pyffy (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 12:33
Quote:
Saint Stokey
in all seriousness, we could beat anyone in the league.
On paper, we have the squad to do it. All that we need is a win to allay any player fears. Then a couple more to bring back confidence.

Whilst we may be down in 10th, the League is very tight and a couple of wins could dramatically change the position. We've lost our last 5 league matches and yet we are only 6 points off 6th place. Had we had won against Gloucester and Newcastle which could easily have happened with a little more luck, we would most likely have been in the top 6, and whilst not happy that we weren't in the top 4, we would have at least been where most thought we'd finish.

It is all about confidence and that can surely only come with playing ourselves out of the slump.

I do not believe that the effort of the players is at fault, the desire or the passion... I believe its simply down to an initial bit of bad luck, some unfortunately times suspension & injuries, then most importantly, confidence.

Hopefully a couple of good results against Ospreys will have us ticking along again.

I'm with you Saint Stokey, winning is all about small margins. A little more good luck in three of our losses and we'd be 12 points to the good. We didn't get any and we are where we are. We need a result to bolster our confidence so our team can show they aren't the wasters being portrayed by many people around t'internet.

Let's see where we are on Saturday Evening.



Proud member of the Saints Season Ticket Holder Happy Clapper Club since 2006.(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?