rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Eif Jones
Take the Points
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:02
How often have I heard this shouted out by the crowd (and me) at Franklin's Gardens. Unfortunately the England rugby team seemed to have deaf years. They lost 6/0 but time after time they turned down easy 2 pointers. What a difference to the Australian psyche if it had become 6/2 then perhaps 6/4 etc.

Saint Ted
Re: Take the Points
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:10
Tend to agree Eif, sometimes when the chips are down getting something on the board can make a psychological difference

Canít comment o Australia v England as I only caught the last 15 minutes

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:29
That's something the Saints used to do, build a lead then open it up. Mind you we don't win enough penalties now though I suppose to do that.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:55
COnversely we actually seem to allow opposition to do that to us Brackley. We keep teams in games. A stat showed up on the TV on Friday, I think, or it was OPTA, that Saints have given the second highest number of penalties away this season of any team in the Prem - London Irish giving away about half a dozen more at around 106. Staggering number of penalties really.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:44
Rugby League is not the exact same calculation.

In Union, if you go for the try, you either do or the opponents nick it, get a penalty etc.

In league itís quite easy to enact 3 or 4 repeat sets until the oppo defence is so knackered. The offensive team does considerably less work than the defence in that code...... in Union there is less of a hiding place.

But yeah, Woodward used to always chip away leads with Wilkinson.

Scrummy
Scrummy (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 21:44
At 19-17 up on Friday after the third disallowed try we took the 3 points and ended up losing by 2.

At our best Saints would turn down all penalty kicks except from right in front of the posts, choosing to go for the corner. Currently we cannot rely on such an effective catch and drive game so taking the points is more attractive.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 09:18
Kick the points and sale is a draw and falcons probably a win. 4 points gone begging imho.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net