rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Jamie Gibson
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 21:51
Link to Premiership top performers. Jamie Gibson tops lineouts won with 53 and is second for turnovers with 10 plus some other interesting stats.

With all the talk of the back row being ineffective at the breakdown that's an interesting stat.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Jamie Gibson
Stockers (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 22:00
Can we sign Olly Woodburn please?

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 22:41
Top coaches make average players good and good players excellent

Woodburn is an Exeter star now but was merely a Bath reserve when he was signed

Without excellent coaching I fear Ollie would possibly revert back to previous form.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 01:33
SaintMaul, are any of Gibson's turnovers at breakdowns? I note its a Falcons player who is no 1 and Falcons were certainly no 1 at the breakdown on Friday night.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 04:50
I think most of Gibson's will be from defending opposition mauls, he works his way through to the ball and kills their play. He's been really impressive in that area all season.

trsaints
trsaints (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 06:51
Yeah I imagine all his turnovers are maul turnovers. He is exceptional in the lineout and maul defence. His skillset lends him more to being a second row than a back row. Has he ever been tried there or is he a bit too lightweight? I know we tried Calum there a few times, so maybe a bit surprising we haven't tried Jamie there the last few weeks when we played Sam out of position there.

trsaints
trsaints (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 06:51
Yeah I imagine all his turnovers are maul turnovers. He is exceptional in the lineout and maul defence. His skillset lends him more to being a second row than a back row. Has he ever been tried there or is he a bit too lightweight? I know we tried Calum there a few times, so maybe a bit surprising we haven't tried Jamie there the last few weeks when we played Sam out of position there.

Viggo
Viggo (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 07:33
I wonder what are breakdown turnover stats are ? for and against

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 07:34 by Viggo.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 07:47
In the backrow, the Saints need to improve the pace, support, quick rucked ball, winning collisions and carrying. If we are turning over ball it needs to be the right ball and they need to think about what they do with it next. Turnover ball needs to be followed by quick ball for a counter against disorganised defence.

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 08:20
Turnover ball is fantastic, however just getting to the breakdown and slowing the opposition ball down and protecting our own ball is fundamental. For periods of the game on Friday we were very poor in those back row fundamentals.

I think all of our back rowers have the ability to do that, Friday was clearly a bit of an off night.

I also think the modern flanker, needs to offer something with ball in hand - in this respect Tei and Lewis have that in their game, I'd say Jamie and Woody slightly less so.

Gibson is a great line out option - stronger in that respect than any of our other backrowers.

Horses for courses?

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 12:21
Quote:
SuffolkSaint
Turnover ball is fantastic, however just getting to the breakdown and slowing the opposition ball down and protecting our own ball is fundamental. For periods of the game on Friday we were very poor in those back row fundamentals.
I think all of our back rowers have the ability to do that, Friday was clearly a bit of an off night.

I also think the modern flanker, needs to offer something with ball in hand - in this respect Tei and Lewis have that in their game, I'd say Jamie and Woody slightly less so.

Gibson is a great line out option - stronger in that respect than any of our other backrowers.

Horses for courses?

I agree. It did seem on Friday that they where standing off the breakdown. whether that was an agreed strategy or not, it didn't work .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net