Re: Wayne Barnes
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:37
Not sure I'd agree that he's number 1. Maybe 2nd

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:44
I just dont enjoy games he refs. He might be correct but he has no feel for the game.

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:48
Certainly one of if not the best, congratulations to him.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:54
Does not demonstrate any empathy and comes over like a school teacher - not really surprising considering his other job.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:49
He knows his stuff but is more concentrated on the letter of the law rather than promoting a flowing game. A bit of empathy shown equally to both teams on the same areas can allow a game to actually get going. Very stop start compared to some referees , but non the less still one of the best. I imagine him to be the type to read his rule book each night before bedtime & take it on holiday for poolside reading !

charlieemeriau
charlieemeriau (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 16:25
I agree with that, I just don't enjoy the games he refs, I actually don't think he is one of the best. He seems to be by the book in terms of the laws of the games, but the games don't flow when he is involved.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 16:45
Please ignore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/12/2017 16:50 by SaintMaul.

Trog
Dave Jackson (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 17:04
I think when I see him on TV and hear what he I said saying I think far more of him. At a live match I find he doesnít communicate decisions in a way that the crowd can understand. Some refs are much better at that.

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 17:19
I grew to dislike his when he spent the Newcastle game on his knees in front of Andy Goode.

Refuse even to talk to our squad but spent the whole game joking with Goode, poor refereeing

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 18:06
A good referee certainly and worthy of taking charge of tests. But not number 1 and agree with the above, far too pedantic.

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:27
I firmly believe that you shouldn't notice a good referee.

Barnes is always controversial and inevitably makes a crucial decision or a call on a technicality, that has everyone scratching their head, shows off his knowledge of the laws but also alters the outcome of the game. The game becomes about him not about the players.

In addition if he is going to talk to players, I am sure Stephen Myler and Dylan Hartley would agree, that he needs to speak clearly - eg "you caaaaan do it

steve battison
batty (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 19:37
I am told by one of the players they knew Barnes would penalise them in the last period of time at Gloucester but they said let's give it a go any way. Does any club have a lower percentage of wins when he ref's?

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 20:40
Refs in the style of "it's all about me". He wants to be the centre of attention in any game. Still remember the article he wrote pre the "cheatgate" final about the best referees being unnoticed during a game. Fat chance of that with him. Can't stand the bloke as a ref. I'm sure he's nice enough, face to face, like most people, but as a ref? No thanks. When he refs us we lose.

StPo
StPo (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 07:14
Phew, was worried he was the latest name to be bandied around for Jimís old role...

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 15:59
[quote batty]I am told by one of the players they knew Barnes would penalise them in the last period of time at Gloucester but they said let's give it a go any way. Does any club have a lower percentage of wins when he ref's?[/quote

Iím not surprised to hear that. Heís always looking for an offence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net