16. Mikey Haywood
17. Francois van Wyk
18. Paul Hill
19. David Ribbans
20. Tom Wood
21. Cobus Reinach
22. Tom Stephenson
23. Ken Pisi

Kieran Brookes (hand), Tom Collins (foot), George North (knee), Alex Waller (arm), and Stephen Myler (calf) are unavailable for selection.

15. Henry Slade
14. Jack Nowell
13. Ian Whitten
12. Sam Hill
11. Olly Woodburn
10. Gareth Steenson (capt)
9. Will Chudley

1. Ben Moon
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie
3. Harry Williams
4. Sam Skinner
5. Jonny Hill
6. Dave Ewers
7. Don Armand
8. Sam Simmonds

Replacements:
16. Jack Yeandle
17. Carl Rimmer
18. Greg Holmes
19. Mitch Lees
20. Thomas Waldrom
21. Stuart Townsend
22. Joe Simmonds
23. James Short

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2017 11:34 by riverlodge.

John Rickerd
Re: teams
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 11:55
Pleased to see Api getting a start. About 10 of that 23 played last season when we won at the Gardens.

Saintsman94
Saintsman94 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 12:06
I'm hoping that the added weight of Api and experience of Campo is going to really help our scrum, shame to see Ludlam dropped but hopefully thats more to aid his recovery than because of form.

Come on you saints, we need to turn a corner and what better time to do it than just before Christmas, in front of a packed out Franklins gardens against the premiership champions.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 13:12
Seems as if the new regime still persist in playing our best second row at number 6. I believe with this back row We lost out heavily at the breakdown versus the Ospreys at FG, surely lessons should have been learnt.

alwayshopeful
alwayshopeful (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 13:28
Well, we are between era's here so there is going to be a period where it looks a lot like it used to !

I guess I would rather have players have a preferred position (or a position where they excel of all other positions) and then play in that role.. By that logic, only Courtney, Harrison and Gibson are in the wrong position - although that is the whole back row!

No mention of Mitch Eadie in the injury list - assume he is injured, though, but a back row of Gibson (6), Harrison (7) and Eadie (8) seems more balanced to me.. in fact, if Eadie was crocked I'd replace him with Sam Dickinson..

Looks like the backs are all in the "right place".. Foden on the wing seems to be his "place" now - although he does look like a shadow of his former self.. I might, for the sake of principle, put Pisi in?

In all, who ever plays just needs to start playing for the shirt and step up significantly week over week.. in a way, they need to start impressing the new boss now.. even before we know who that is!

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 13:31
Quote:
alwayshopeful
in a way, they need to start impressing the new boss now.. even before we know who that is!

if that motivates the guys, then that would do for me. i take some comfort from the articles with Dylan having a pop back at those who have been having a pop at the team - if that means they are angry, then good.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 13:32
I like the look of our team

Slade at 15.... whack loads on his head early doors

They’ve got a very dynamic ball carrying pack.... chop them down boys

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 14:51
I think Foden has been playing quite well of late. Lawes at 6 coincided with our best period of the season so far. I don't think we can get too hung up on selections alwayshopeful said we are between era's so it will look largely the same. Broussow at 7 could make a difference from a balance perspective when he arrives.

WesternWanderer
WesternWanderer (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 16:12
Concerned about JFR at tight head - think we're likely to go backwards at every scrum... but it's still probably the strongest we've got available.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 16:16
And the Welshman.......?

nb I do not mean Eif....!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2017 17:01 by Mobbs.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 16:35
Quote:
Eif Jones
Seems as if the new regime still persist in playing our best second row at number 6. I believe with this back row We lost out heavily at the breakdown versus the Ospreys at FG, surely lessons should have been learnt.

This is a turn-up Eif - you've started referring to Saints as "we"!

There ain't no Sanity Clause

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 16:40
Eif has been doing that for some time - why I am surprised that it took so long for anyone to notice.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 16:45
I suspect he feels more able to empathise with Saints when they are struggling 'cos most others are criticising them too.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 17:01
easy now, no ganging up

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 18:48
If it works perhaps some humble pie would be welcome (but unlikely). If it doesn't fair comment. Clearly things will be different when Brussow arrives.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 11:11
Surely playing an additional 2nd row in the back row is an implied criticism that the front five are not good enough, not nice if you are a member of that five. It hasn't needed me to explain to everyone that the Saints have been treading water for the last 3 seasons. Check the archive but I was suggesting a change of DOR 3 summers ago, that delay in the inevitable has been costly. Meaning that an immediate significant improvement is unlikely.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 11:16
Alternatively it could be seen as trying to get the best players on the pitch at the same time. Courtney and Samu both played at six on occaisions when we were in our prime and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid then.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 12:25
Eif, a number of people on here have been suggesting a change of DOR for a while but 3 summers ago Saints had just been crowned Premiership champions. Did you really suggest it then?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net