rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

jimusjones
Coaches vs Players
jimusjones (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 19:20
Thinking about the new DOR and how much money they would command and wondered whether the DOR/head coach would be paid more than the highest paid player?

Gatland was on around £500k per year with Wales allegedly (someone of a Welsh persuasian may have a more accurate figure).

To me we should pay whatever it takes to get the best person we can get. Players would likely take less money to work with one of the best coaches in the buissness and they will also get the best out of a squad of players, which will have its star performers but they can't fill every position or play every game.

If it means we don't have quite so much to spend on players then we should still be able to well with what we have (look at the cheifs model).

Thoughts anyone?

shiversaint
Re: Coaches vs Players
shiversaint (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 19:39
I'm not sure we can assume players would take less money to work with one of the best coaches. Maybe there would be a few but at the end of the day, it's a short career, and most players would surely rather maximise both - a good environment and a good cheque at the end of the month. Quality players generally manage to do this. I think the effect would be more prominent with recruiting, that is, we are more likely to attract top talent if said talent is going to be working in an exciting environment. The pay is pretty much a given in any environment these days.

I have always presumed the DOR role is close to the highest paid at the club, especially for one with a proven record and/or has achieved something already with the club (one can assume Jim had a nice bump after the prem win).

jimusjones
jimusjones (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 19:53
What if they are an EQP that may make a difference?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:16
Whilst not rugby and I know the money is out of our leagues but I would assume Pogba is paid more than Mourinho.

Biggar is seemingly happy to take the money no matter who are coach will be.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:25
Completely agree Jimus. The right DoR is easily more important than any single player.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 10:58
andysaint, I wouldn't say that deep down Biggar is happy with what's happened, outwardly though, he has little choice but to tell the world he's looking forward to the move.
And its not straight forward determining Gatland's salary from the WRU. Twice he's taken sabbaticals whilst taking charge of the Lions, in his early days when Wales were winning the 6N and grand slams and reaching the semi of the RWC, there was a hefty bonus involved for the players so I assume also for the coaches. I very much doubt that the Welsh squad get paid the reported £20k per game in England.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net