rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

herbie85
Saints v Exeter
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:26
Well, first 25 absolutely night and day from last few weeks. Defence even looking decent so far!

Lamont4Saints
Re: Saints v Exeter
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:37
Some good play and aggressive defence. Just to note Gibson looking really good at 7 (his original position), Patterson working hard again, Ma’afu looking great as a starter.
Malinder doing some good stuff, Burrell and Horne looking nice as well.

We like a happier team.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:45
Better looking forward to the second half. Crowd on form here and a good attendance.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:45
Agree, both props getting their hands on the ball and defending well. API has carried well too. Gibson looking energised.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:46
Much better attitude. Gustard worked wonders.

The backs are ahead on timing a few times. Piers has thrown a couple of poor passes although threw a wonderful miss pass for the try and a massive hit early on to set the tone

This is the most physical I’ve seen Harry play, very promising.

Defensive scrum still garbage. Luckily Chiefs have only had 2 scrums (1 was a penalty to them).

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:47
Api and Ford-Robinson starting appears to make a difference as they are both ball carriers able to make ground in heavy traffic.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:50
All I asked for was forbthem to front up, be competitive and show some spirit. Sounds like that's just what's happening. Good stuff. We'd not want to see capitulation in the second half a la an England batting collapse. Saints have a soft underbelly at the moment, let's hope they don't show it.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:50
Was about to say the same SaintsMaul, Api in particular, his carrying makes all the difference.

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:51
Gustard has been working with the club on and off since the end of last season so i doubt 1 session has turned our defence around.

Seat of your pants stuff but much better intensity. Francis needs to recover his confidence after a shakey period.

jdusty964
jdusty (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:55
Far better performance, keep it up lads.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:03
Big shout out for Campo, he has been excellent

HungryLikeTheWolf
23 December, 2017 16:12
lineout and scrums rubbish - who looks after that area?

Christoff
23 December, 2017 16:14
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
lineout and scrums rubbish - who looks after that area?

Hopefully gone soon.

Saint Nath
Saint Nath (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:17
HLTW I agree!

But Francis has also really struggled today.

Horne been good!

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:20
Think Francis has been ok. Our lineout, drives and scrums have been poor and we won't win against probably top 8 until these improve

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:23
Controversial call here, but how’s about harry at 10?
When he was there our attack was good. If we then had francis at 15 then we regain some of the attacking flair with with a more solid fullback.

Waiting to be shot down!!!!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:24
A converted try would be nice for a bonus

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:24
Are we conceding free kicks on our own scrum so we don't concede a pen? Not a great tactic as we then get pinged on their put in

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:26
Gibson a pen machine on their lineout ball. Two a game at least just for playing man in air I reckon

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:26
Dorian looks after the scrum and we have been@#$%&for ages now. He needs to sort it if he want to keep job.

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:27
Defence has gone to pot this half.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:28
To be fair, they have played us in the air a few times, gibo has thought I will try that, then gets pinged.

HungryLikeTheWolf
23 December, 2017 16:28
It all stems from the set pieces

They’ve absolutely killed us today

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:29
Quote:
SaintsAsh
To be fair, they have played us in the air a few times, gibo has thought I will try that, then gets pinged.

Not just this game, seemingly at least two a week.

We have played better this game, but we used to have a really proud home record. I'm watching this thinking within 25 points would be a good result. Shows how far we have dropped

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 16:31 by herbie85.

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:29
Quote:
SaintsAsh
Dorian looks after the scrum and we have been@#$%&for ages now. He needs to sort it if he want to keep job.

We've struggled ever since the removal of the hit.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:31
It is harsh, gibo wins more turnovers at lineouts than anyone in the prem.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:33
Quote:
SaintsAsh
It is harsh, gibo wins more turnovers at lineouts than anyone in the prem.

He may well. But it's not a harsh point as he does concede lots of penalties like that. And it costs points and field position.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:36
Well he could just stop giving away pens and stop winning turnovers.

I could not make the game so watching on BT, at the start of the second half the BT commentators said that the crowd are flat.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:39
I think it would be a net gain if he did from matches I see.

Yeah noticing the crowd starting with the football chanting again

Christoff
23 December, 2017 16:46
Following on Saints Live. All it seems to say on there is "Penalty Chiefs at the scrum". How many scrum pens do we need to give away.

Christoff
23 December, 2017 16:50
Got the capitulation I feared. Wuss now in range. We're now in deep s*** I'd say. Home game v Irish is going to be huge.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:53
Our scrum is farcical and even the lineout has gone to cr*p today. Can’t do anything with our lack of discipline. Please tell me someone is coming in to help the coaches asap.

Stevie Myler's right boot
23 December, 2017 16:54
Owned in Scrum, lineout & maul - just remind me who’s remit that is?

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:55
Too many mistakes, too many individuals playing on past laurels and no plan B whatsoever, not that we have a plan A either to go by.
The scrum is an absolute mess and gives every team that pushes us backwards at least 14 points through lost ground, penalties and playing games with 14 men for part of the game.
So glad I wasn’t well enough today to go and sit through yet another dismal display.

HungryLikeTheWolf
23 December, 2017 16:55
Quote:
ElySaint
Our scrum is farcical and even the lineout has gone to cr*p today. Can’t do anything with our lack of discipline. Please tell me someone is coming in to help the coaches asap.

I wish I always had someone to come and hold my hand in all the jobs I’ve done

Christoff
23 December, 2017 16:56
Quote:

Dorian Teflon-West

23 December, 2017 16:59
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:

Dorian Teflon-West
Dorian’s personal sponsor - no sh*t sticks to him

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:06
Massive improvement in defence and on the odd occasion when we had ball in hand but clearly Exeter decided in the second half that they had our pack on toast and that's why they won. Add to that a creaky line out when we did have chances and that sums it up. A few green shoots of optimism for me but the pack is the worst Saints one I can remember in 40 years

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:17
Quote:
tedge
Massive improvement in defence and on the odd occasion when we had ball in hand but clearly Exeter decided in the second half that they had our pack on toast and that's why they won. Add to that a creaky line out when we did have chances and that sums it up. A few green shoots of optimism for me but the pack is the worst Saints one I can remember in 40 years

Bit surprised Chiefs didn't kick some of their early penalties to touch because I was expecting to be penalised and mauled to death this afternoon. Clearly their analysis team hadn't been watching our performances at the set piece until half time....

Result aside we were better today than we've been since September. Open field defence was generally good and I felt that the players were more up for this than they've been recent games. I really thought we had done enough to keep Chiefs without a bonus point. But the set piece struggled again and that's were three of Exeter's four tries came from.

But it's another bonus point conceded at home and the list of teams with unbeaten runs at the Gardens is extended by one more team (only Wuss, Bath, Tigers, and Irish where our last result at the Gardens was not a loss now I think)

Too much time spent on the set piece. Did Foden actually miss any open play while on the naughty step? I'd have liked the referee to be more decisive and kept the game going.

PS my one year old has more control of her bowels than the Chiefs player the ball for that final try! And we've had poomageddon in her nappy already today....

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:43
We are seriously short in key positions
Gibson is not a seven - never at the breakdown never jackelled rarely competed he is a six
T is not an 8 he tries so hard but can’t control base of scrum - doesn’t have the bulk/power like Waldron Billy etc

Hill looks good when he comes on - why doesn’t he start ?

Oh bum it’s Christmas- good will etc

Leave it till we see who will be interim DoR
Appt early Jan apparently

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:53
Thoroughly professional performance by Exeter against a disfunctional Saints set piece. Gutsy first half by the home side but a second half capitulation. Ribbans for me is a starter if fit to play. Still waiting for that wow performance by Francis. Horne still impresses though he does stray close to the yellow card sometimes but in saying that I think we still lack a nasty edge in the back row that used to be provided by Neil Best and Calum Clark in their pomp.

The position of Dorian West is untenable but if he is not prepared to fall on his own sword then the Board must see him on his way by the end of the season. Realistically we are competing for tenth place with Worcester and if that is not acceptable to the Board then they must take yet more radical action - sometimes the price of a place on that board is the need to make hard decisions and if necessary provide some more concrete help and you all know what I mean.

If somebody could suggest where our next win is coming from, I would be much obliged !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 18:01 by Mobbs.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 18:39
Quote:
Deesaint

Is that a known fact or just a throwaway remark ? Why would we appoint an "interim" DoR when we have an interim Head Coach. We need a permanent DoR asap

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 19:00
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Deesaint

Is that a known fact or just a throwaway remark ? Why would we appoint an "interim" DoR when we have an interim Head Coach. We need a permanent DoR asap

I heard that it was almost ready to announce
But in fairness was in no condition to qualify

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 20:16
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Telegraph report singles out Hartley for strong criticism and decision making at times together with the set piece and breakdown. Harry and Courtney get a good write up

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 20:38
Nothing much to argue about there

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:05
Brutal on Dylan but difficult to disagree on today’s evidence. To quote “wouldn’t get a starting spot in any of the top six”. Just what did happen to the lineout today? I wasn’t surprised with scrum!

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:07
I have always been a strong supporter of Dylan and have often challenged some of his incidents over the years in which I thought he was hard done by. His record as England Captain and the faith shown in him by Eddie Jones is commendable, considering the challenge of Jamie George and his legion of admirers. However, my patience with our skipper is now running very low and I have yet to see anything more than a 6/10 performance from him in a Saints shirt this season. Coaching apart, the likes of Hartley and Wood should be galvanising our forwards into match winning performances by means of their experience and leadership.....it simply is not happening.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:26
Most of us were fully in favour of Dylan getting the captaincy back, although it has to be said there were few viable alternative candidates. However, his performances as a player do appear to be waning and have been doing for some time now. In the past he frequently compensated with his accuracy at lines-out but even that seems to be deserting him, although I am not certain he was entirely to blame today. I don't doubt he is working as hard as ever in a front row that does him no favours but his position as first choice hooker might start to become questionable.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:51
I can't be bothered to work it out but the permuations of 7 from around 25 is quite a big number. We haven't had a settled pack at all. He has to throw to a point in the air that the jumper is going to be after he has thrown and just the differnce of a couple of inches of height of the lifter can make the difference between a perfect throw and one that goes a little high. Of course he could just throw lower but then get intercepted.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:03
A lot of ball was going to Patterson today who was well read and taken apart. I maybe wrong but for me Api and Patterson was a strange combination as neither are lineout gurus. I’d have Day Ribbans and Lawes above them in that respect. For me Api showed very little today. For me he’s not a starting lock. A bit like Damian Browne his size should mean a big impact but it does not translate as such.

1908 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:19
On form Cowan-Dickie should be England's hooker. (But then it is easier to look good in Exeter's pack)
For me Simmonds is the best option for England at 7...closely followed by Armand and Kvesic. See what I mean.....it's easier looking good in Exeter's pack!
Hartley will probably still go to the World Cup.....but as 3rd choice hooker.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:50
First half, down the slope, not many scrums, suited Saints well, neutralised the Exeter backs. Neither side had backs who could produce that try scoring final pass, not like the Ospreys did here at FG.

Second half, up the slope was entirely different, Exeter virtually gave up using their backs and took us apart up front. The ref had no consideration for us the paying public by continuing with scrum after scrum when he could have solved it all by awarding a penalty try.

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 09:29
Foley was out of his depth yesterday.

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 09:56
I thought api actually did well and got us over the gain line, and Dylan was unusually poor in the lineout but actually got around the park making hits, that certain paper writes the same article about Dylan every other week regardless

Brent1
Brent1 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 16:15
Quote:
Saint Tim

Chiefs fan in peace...to be fair Foley looks out of his depth most of the time....his decision making, for both teams, was of the guessing "but I'm being consistent!" variety....

Hope your season improves, too many good players to falter

Peaceful, kind Xmas

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 22:59
Quote:
Brent1
Quote:
Saint Tim

Chiefs fan in peace...to be fair Foley looks out of his depth most of the time....his decision making, for both teams, was of the guessing "but I'm being consistent!" variety....

Hope your season improves, too many good players to falter

Peaceful, kind Xmas

Thanks Brent1 - I wish you a very good Christmas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net