rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

SaintsMan87
Positives
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 19:19
Look we all know the negatives right now, we have hourly threads with new titles declaring the same thing. Iíd like to look at some of the improved aspects of today

1- physicality
I thought especially in the first half we seemed to have the passion to want to be physical and did so

2- defence
Although not completely turned the corner, massive improvement today we had some long defensive sets that went well. We also dominated a fair amount of the gain line collisions which I havenít seen us do for a long time.

3- attack
I thought we our 1st try was a fantastic 1st phase move. I thought we did really well to get in behind on several occasions but couldnít quite finish it.

If we could have scrummed better I think we had a great chance.

Former Hollywood Saint
Re: Positives
23 December, 2017 19:28
Agreed. Some barnstorming hits going in all game.

Campo has his best game ever. No offence to Alex Waller but glad he got given his chance. Api and JFR worth a mention too.

Fhs

saint1969
saint1969 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 20:28
Totally agree .

Nice to see some positives being said on this forum.

We are where we are sadly , people need to accept this and concentrate on our revival.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 20:33
nothing will change without changing coaching

We canít keep relying on bringing Gustard or ANother in to patch up the mess

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 20:53
As you document on every single thread, as I said weíve got enough of those and know the issues. This thread Iím looking at the improvements this week

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:08
Harry had a good game today
Well worked first try.
Good opportunism in the second try.
Some good first up tackles and better line speed.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:15
Our defense was far better in general and we didn't give away soft tries. Our first try was very good off first phase ball. The team seemed to be working for each other and, for the first itme in ages, as a team.

We have had too many false dawn in the past couple of years but there is a feint glimmer of hope.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:17
Positives ?
I've got the next 3 days off work !

Saintsteward
Saintsteward (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:28
Aggressive attack and defence from Saints today against a very good Exeter team. Still need to work on breakdown turnovers, although Brussow should help out there. Scrums are a huge issue, which we need to fix or learn to work around. Thought we did try to get the ball out quickly on our out in, which is probably what we can do in the short term. Lineouts usually one of our better facets, but bad day at the office there today. If we can show the same amount of improvement over the next week, we can turn our fortunes around. Keep the faith COYS

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:29
Three from me (possibly the only three)
1 we looked interested
2 we didn't give up
3 Horne is one hell of a fighter

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:24
Agree very much with the positives argument.

How positive it all was will be revealed at the Stoop next week. I shall be there, feeling positive, hoping for the best, and cheering on the team.

COYS!!

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/99/99_0_1202835632.jpg
*I could agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong...*

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:44
Itís at Twickers not the Stoop which IMHO does us a favour. A broken game on a big pitch helps....

jdusty964
jdusty (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 07:38
A couple of points that I find encouraging.

1. Far greater accuracy in the tackling, missed a few but generally 1st up tackles were getting made.

2. Good to see us trying to run the ball more instead of inanely kicking it away.

3. It has been the first game I have watched for a while were I didn't feel totally deflated at the result, it may be recorded as a loss but it was a loss against an in form team who are current champions and we still managed to find the line a couple of times.

If we continue to improve on that performance and recruit sensibly then we will be in a good place, I am confident we can make 7th this season. The table is far closer than some on here might have you believe.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 08:06
Quote:
Saint Dom
Agree very much with the positives argument.
How positive it all was will be revealed at the Stoop next week. I shall be there, feeling positive, hoping for the best, and cheering on the team.

COYS!!

It'll probably be Quins smallest attendance of the season *

Ady32
Ady32 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 10:20
I also thought the 16th man had a pretty good game!

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 10:32
Apparently bt sport said we were flat

Big daddy 3
Big daddy 3 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 10:34
Couldnít agree more

We looked sharper than we have in a long time line speed was really good in the first half.unfortunaly we were shut out of the game in the second half as said above our scrum and line out costs us and it was just down to the bouce of the ball.
On some occasions

KEEP IT UP LADS
COME ON YOU SAINTS

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 13:06
Positives, the backs looked better. Harry always dangerous, Horne streetwise, Cobus fast.
Forwards no comment.

Former Hollywood Saint
24 December, 2017 13:42
Bit harsh CH. As many have said, including myself, Api and Campo were amazing. JFR was mean in the loose too. Everything went downhill after they left. We needed some big ball carriers and big hitters and in those 3 we got them.

Should give honourable mentions to Foden who was sprinting everywhere and Horne and Luther who also put in some big hits. Just need to keep improving and me might surprise people next week.

FHS

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:17
If you think they were "amazing" we have very different views.
I like Api and I have great expectations for Campese but neither would get into any of the top five teams, but since this is positives I will say no more. Lets agree they were among the best of our forwards, also Ribeye.

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 18:31
Lawes and Ribbans in the second row for me....Gibson, Harrison and Broussow at the back when he turns up.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 22:23
Agreed

Saint Swill
Saint Swill (IP Logged)
26 December, 2017 19:08
The commentator didn't say that the crowd were flat.

He said "The crowd is fat"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net