rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

herbie85
Attitude and defence
herbie85 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 19:21
Trying to look at some positives after getting our behinds handed to us at home again.

First half defence was great. Attitude was also the best I've seen it in months in the first half. The match went when Exeter realised our set piece is a shambles. However before the match i just wanted some fight and we showed some of it. I don't think anyone thought we even had a punchers chance.

Edit, seen the thread below, posted when I was writing, please merge into that one, some similar points

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 19:22 by herbie85.

Saint Nath
Re: Attitude and defence
Saint Nath (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 19:49
Defence was better!

Our set pieces are what really cost us!

Although still think our defence is slightly passive at times.

On attack we just need to tighten up our mistakes and improve our accuracy.
We need to find a way we can hold on too the ball better and look after it better.

No matter how good your defence is we have to defend for such long periods of the game as we can't keep hold of the ball.

Gibson, lawes, Api, T, maafu impressed me in the forwards.

Horne looked better in the backs.

Hope Francis starts too find some confidence. Nice flat pass for Aces try though!

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 20:31
I noticed during the warm up two times on the trot we missed line outs going to the number two jumper, this is bread and butter stuff that you shouldn't be doing at professional levels

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 21:23
Completely agree. Our defence and attitude was on point for the first half. Second half we were passive, flakey and back to standard we’ve seen most of this season.

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:17
Foley called us offside (wrongly) at a critical moment, following a kick from Francis.

That was a key moment, possibly decisive.

After that, we were put on the back foot and conceded a second try. Our fragile confidence evaporated.

It is still heartening, though, to see how many scoring chances we created.

How the scrum got shunted about so often is one for the purists. Our front row is too experienced for that to have been the outcome of who pushed better. Dark Arts and stuff...

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/99/99_0_1202835632.jpg
*I could agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong...*

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:31
Your wrong St Dom, it wasn't the first man who was given as off-side it was the second man who didn't retreat far enough to satisfy the ref. Almost all the Saints players were ahead of the ball as Francic retreated well behind the gain line before he kicked.

Former Hollywood Saint
24 December, 2017 08:01
But Mr Foley seemed to miss them offside an awful lot, as well as other key infringements. He was continually highly critical of Saints. Much like yourself.

FHS

Slimjimmie
SlimJimmie (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 08:44
Yesterday confirmed, for me, that we have some excellent forwards so why oh why do we not appear to have a pack?

elephantisis?

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 09:28
I was encouraged by a lot of things yesterday. Yes we have failings still and our confidence is shot.

What surprised me was how Foley could not see the Exeter pack running round repeatedly at the scrums. He was only looking at us.

It seemed to be that off feet at the ruck was the norm and expected by him. I am not sure of the penalty counts but it was very one sided.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 09:45
Problem is that if everyone knows you have a weak scrum then the decisions go against you. You have your ticket marked before kick off as the ref will be looking for any sign that you can handle the pressure.
Unfortunately that enables the oppos to wheel, pull, drop, bore as much as they like as in the refs eyes ‘they won’t cheat as they have the upper hand’.
It’s a bit like wheeling the scrum on your own put in. No one would do it ( as it’s a penalty offence) so it must be the oppos wheeling the scrum - result penalty to you!!

Ady32
Ady32 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 10:15
Also may be because we were mostly going backwards!

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 11:00
Think I saw somewhere that the pen count was 25-8. Obviously we were on the wrong side of that.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:14
First half was pretty good and much improved i’d say. We got our pockets picked in the lineout which is a rarity. Scrum was as poor as ever. Anyone else but Chiefs we maybe got something from the game. Just hope the improvement continues, big game (no pun intended!) against equally struggling Quins

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net