rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

St.Sinner
NFL Switch $$$
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:51
Scotland Williamson from Worcester.

Wonder if he will be the first & last or the first of many.

Story in the Independant:
[www.google.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2017 17:53 by St.Sinner.

Nath-coys
Re: NFL Switch $$$
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 18:25
Hasn't actually switched to the NFL as such.

He has gone too train with some coaches, and then will take part in there Trials and try and get on a roster for the 2018 season.

Good luck to him.

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 22:26
Should be interesting to see how compatible he is. It's probably one of the most competitive sports in the world to get into, to the point where I'd actually be surprised if we ever see him in a team.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 23:24
Even being on a training squad in the NFL will probably bring in more money than rugby - but as said above, hugely competitive, no job security and decisions are totally ruthless.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 01:10
NFL is the real deal. Greatest sporting product on the planet. Im to be convinced that Christian could be a (likely) offensive tackle. No chance he could play defense...

Good luck to him. Hes a specimen.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 08:59
NFL - dull as ditchwater !

greenwood
greenwood (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:23
NFL is the real deal. Greatest sporting product on the planet..

NFL - dull as ditchwater !

Which of our on the spot reporters are right..?

YOU DECIDE !!

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:28
Fair play to him for taking the chance and rolling the dice. If he fails I wonder if he will head back to Union.

On the flip side, we need a scout out in America watching these Unversity Varsity matches, trying to pick up a few of these athletes that don't make a major league contract. Teach them rugby for a year in the wandies & see what we are left with, I wonder if any clubs try this or simply the players don't want to travel across the world for just a 'chance'. I know they wear pads as thick as breeze blocks but the size and speed of some of these guys is staggering,

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:36
Quote:
St.Sinner
Fair play to him for taking the chance and rolling the dice. If he fails I wonder if he will head back to Union.
On the flip side, we need a scout out in America watching these Unversity Varsity matches, trying to pick up a few of these athletes that don't make a major league contract. Teach them rugby for a year in the wandies & see what we are left with, I wonder if any clubs try this or simply the players don't want to travel across the world for just a 'chance'. I know they wear pads as thick as breeze blocks but the size and speed of some of these guys is staggering,

Staggering but they train for explosive action. The all round fitness of top union and league players is the envy of the NFL in fact. I read an interview with Nate Ebner, who is a Patriots special teamer who played sevens in the olympics, saying that he was the fittest he had ever been when he returned from the Olympics.

sarricen
sarricen (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:10
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Quote:
St.Sinner

Staggering but they train for explosive action. The all round fitness of top union and league players is the envy of the NFL in fact. I read an interview with Nate Ebner, who is a Patriots special teamer who played sevens in the olympics, saying that he was the fittest he had ever been when he returned from the Olympics.

100% this. Aside from being a physical contact sport (and American Football originally driving from rugby) that is where the similarities end. The tempos of the game are completely different and so athletes from both sports are built in very very different ways

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:41
Very different fitness requirements - it's why the NFL measures sprints for 40 yards, it being the furthest a player is generally expected to run. It's all about explosive power & speed, with the fragmented nature of the game, plus the offence/defence splits, meaning that there is no requirement for the sustained effort that rugby requires.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:24
Plenty of NFL players run more than 40 yards. Wide receivers, kick returns etc.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:59
I did mean 40 yards in a single play, to be clear.

Kickoff returns average ~20 yards, long runs are rare. Looking at the NFL stats, many sides have a season high of around 40 yards.
[www.espn.com]

Average pass play is about 11-12 yards - exceptional receivers may average 20 per catch, doubt they cover double that every time.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 17:34
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Plenty of NFL players run more than 40 yards. Wide receivers, kick returns etc.

Its rare but if you ever see an end to end play most of the players have stopped running. You can sprint 100yds without needing oxygen replacement if you are the sprinting type but linemen are out of gas after 40. Even the receivers rarely go 100yds, but once they are past the cover they are coasting. Nothing compared to some of the lung busting chases we quite often see in union.

However, would love to see a top NFL running back in union. Just to see if anyone could stop him, Todd Gurley for example.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:59
IMO the most boring ball game ever invented but there again I know nothing (Sm124)

SK 88
SK 88 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 20:18
Quote:
St.Sinner
On the flip side, we need a scout out in America watching these Unversity Varsity matches, trying to pick up a few of these athletes that don't make a major league contract. Teach them rugby for a year in the wandies & see what we are left with, I wonder if any clubs try this or simply the players don't want to travel across the world for just a 'chance'.

This is an idea that's been floated about by a few people over the years but the traffic is mainly in the other direction.

Thretton Palamao was the youngest ever player in a RWC who turned away from rugby just after for a American football scholarship.

Nate Ebner was the youngest ever USA 7s international as a teenager, who had never even played football, before taking it up at Ohio State and then getting drafted into the NFL.

Their rugby talents make them extreme examples but there are a lot of high school all Americans every year that get a football scholarship to Uni so have to drop rugby for several core years.

Christian Scotland-Williamson & Alex Gray have both quit rugby to tryout for the NFL. Hayden Smith was a basketball player from AUs who became a USA international then went to be a tightend for the Jets in the NFL too.

In terms of AF to rugby you have Perry Baker who is probably the best recent one, also Carlin Isles. Maybe if America gets a stable professional domestic league more people will take the chance and try to convert a few more. Personally I think basketball is a better bet for cross over athletes but there aren't many of them either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net