rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Alan Gaffney is the new technical coaching consultant
lilyg (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 09:34
Tommy V seems to think so.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2017 10:03 by lilyg.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Something exciting at 10am?
lilyg (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:02
Alan Gaffney is the new technical coahing consultant from the offy

MESSAGES->author
Re: Alan Gaffney is the new technical coaching consultant
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:05
I like this:

Quote:
Any coach would jump at the chance to work with the calibre of players Saints have.
"The squad have shown what theyíre capable of earlier in the season but, for whatever reason, they have not been able to perform at that level consistently.

We have the players - can AG provide the impetus to get them playing well again?

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/99/99_0_1202835632.jpg
*I could agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong...*

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:09
Presumably the players will call him The Gaffer...?

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:12
No mention in his CV of ever being in a room with an elephant. This is very worrying.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:13
Not sure anyone can say the guy is not qualified :-)

Serious statement of intent. If he cant stop the rot then I will be surprised.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:22
Iím pleased we havenít gone for a Mike Ford character, I.e. someone from within the AP merry go round. This shows a broader statement of intent IMO and hope the permanent appointment follows a similar vein. Be interesting to see if Gaffney is in any way consulted on the permanent position.

Interesting also that Dowson is now responsible for defence

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
Dowson now defence coach, Hopley as assistant coach.

I wonder what the target is? Just get through the season without finishing bottom?

In the meantime the search will surely continue for a long term replacement for Jim. I canít help but feel that matters wonít change too much.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:30
Sounds like we may have asked Eddie Jones who to go for? If so, good thinking.

MESSAGES->author
Gaffney
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:03
I like this:
Quote:
Any coach would jump at the chance to work with the calibre of players Saints have.
"The squad have shown what theyíre capable of earlier in the season but, for whatever reason, they have not been able to perform at that level consistently.

Deesaint
Re: Gaffney
Deesaint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:16
Named as
Technicall Coaching Consultant
Does that mean he takes charge
Or just offers advise ?

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
You would expect him to have a big voice. No point getting in a name like that and asking them to sit on the side lines IMO. We will find out though.

The article seems to imply he will be in charge:

"Alan will take on responsibility for the rugby department and will lead the existing coaching group made up of Alan Dickens, Dorian West, Mark Hopley and Phil Dowson"

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:33
That is not an implication it is a statement of fact. He now runs our rugby and I wish him best luck. His record just speaks for itself, fantastic rugby brain.
The Randwick club seems to be at the very heart of Australian rugby and is a tough school, with a great ethos and tradition. I am expecting a quick improvement, I will go further and say I am confident of a quick improvement.

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:36
He will have our complete support...

Good luck to him.

I shall be at Twickenham tomorrow to see us take on Quins. He wonít be in charge until January 1st, but wonder if he will be there.

HungryLikeTheWolf
29 December, 2017 10:42
Gaffney and Brussouw should be game changers for us ....

the predictions of us not winning another game this season may have to be adjusted by some :-)

MESSAGES->author
Pyffy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:51
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Gaffney and Brussouw should be game changers for us ....
the predictions of us not winning another game this season may have to be adjusted by some :-)

I agree HLTW, I believe the coming months will redefine our season and if all goes well and our squad buy into the new regime then top 6 isn't out of the question, even with our elephant still in the mix.

Proud member of the Saints Season Ticket Holder Happy Clapper Club since 2006.(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Waldofez
Waldo (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:55
I heard Paul Gustard has been doing some coaching with you in the interim - i wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in the Gaffney appointment as they have a connection from Saracens days and of course an Eddie Jones connection too.

Will be interesting how it how it works out . I do rate the Gaffer.

HungryLikeTheWolf
29 December, 2017 11:02
See how it goes but Gustard is the sort of character I would potentially be happy employing as DoR....

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:11
I don't think i have felt so positive for a very long time.

If he can't get some movement where it is required, I can only pray for divine intervention!

But let's not expect an overnight improvement. Even Gaffney is human.

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:15
In the press release itís also saying dows becomes defence coach and Hopley assistant coach

Pimpernel44
Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:31
The Gaffer did very well for Sarries, took over after a season where we'd been battling relegation and took us to a Premiership semi and Heineken Cup semi (both rare achievements for the Saracens of that era!)

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:42
Very best of luck Alan.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:44
Pleased with this.
I've got to ask - in all of the names that people were throwing around, did Gaffney's come up at all?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:52
Whilst it is great to have someone come in with the experience and credentials, I'm still feeling a bit pessimistic about our chances this season. With the current set up and players, relegation should not be considered but with a busy schedule of games, it is unlikely that he will be able to change much in terms of formations, set ups, calls etc...as I am sure a lot of those are designed and practiced in the summer off season. I hope that we are better organised as a unit, have more intensity are more focused and tactically smarter.

How they try and sell this to new players I just don't know unless they already have a new team lined up that won't be available for the summer.

There is hope there for better performances and hopefully results. How they achieve that will be interesting to watch.

Bernie's Dad
Bernie's Dad (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:53
Great appointment. Just the kind of character we need right now! As others have said, itís great weíve looked beyond the predictable options to someone with true International credibility along with great European and Premiership experience.

Letís Ďget the band back on the roadí... starting with a better performance tomorrow. 2018 suddenly feels much more promising!

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:54
Very welcome news indeed. Heíll hopefully bring fresh ideas to the group and I hope give us a proper rocket going into 2018.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:57
Will he pick the team ?

HungryLikeTheWolf
29 December, 2017 12:03
Quote:
shendy
Pleased with this.
I've got to ask - in all of the names that people were throwing around, did Gaffney's come up at all?

well no because he hasnít had a mainstream role for maybe 4 years? heís been doing Aussie system stuff apparently and heís 70 so very much under the radar, I suspect Eddie Jones helped with this.

Well done to whoever has driven this process which I assume is the very smart Mark Darbon...

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:05
Will our scrum improve ?

MESSAGES->author
GazzaTheDonkey (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:27
Clever appointment for a team that has lost confidence and direction.

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:31
Anyone have any insight into the type of game Alan is likely to play or prefers? What sort of players are likely to fare well in his type of system?

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:52
Quote:
GazzaTheDonkey
Clever appointment for a team that has lost confidence and direction.

Got a feeling we may well target the AW this season. We're - in theory - in control of our group, and just winning *something* would be great for team and supporter morale. Of course, we still need to deliver....

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:07
Fantastic appointment! Gaffney has a very impressive CV.

Welcome Alan.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:16
Good appointment. I'd like to think that he may be able to stabilise us, find our best side barring injuries and help us avoid having Irish finish above us. Pyffy, promise I'll buy you a pint next time I'm at the Gardens if we finish top 6. Promise to buy me one if we're 7th or below? Just can't see top 6, happy with anything above 12th......right now anyway. He's got a shed load of work to do just to make us competitive with anyone above us in the table imo. I'd be delighted to be wrong incidentally.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 13:24
At least have the support of Horne.

although this is his first season with us, Rob Horne seems to have become a real leader in the backs and his knowledge, understanding and relationship with Gaffney must be a good thing. I presume both know of each other from Waratah and Wallaby pasts.

Any player on his side can only add to his voice.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:19
clever appointment, and done quickly - good work.
welcome and good luck to AG.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 14:38
Yes riverlodge, I know we can all debate about how long it took for change to start, but so far I cant fault the club for the actions taken to try and handle the new situation. If this is a sign of things to come then we might see a new strong coaching team for next year without too much delay.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 15:51
Think the hopefully easiest thing to do is to fix the defence. That alone will see us being far more competitive and win games. We have proved we can score just not enough to compensate for our poor defence currently. The other issues may take a little longer

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 16:02
Very happy. Well done board.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 16:20
Good news, lots of experience, just what we needed.

Lots of hope for the permanent signing after this.

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 16:58
The board said they were going to look worldwide and didn't just go after the simple options of Ford or Lancaster that the media pitched.

Gaffney...... well that was a decision that nobody outside the club would have come up with. A guy with his experience in so many levels of the game, could just be the ticket. Really excited about this appointment, if only for the fact that the board are thinking outside the 'normal' parameters.

Hopefully this will be an exciting prospect for the players. Instead of doing the same things, game after game, training session after training session, this new appointment can just shake up the way everything has been done for so long.

Also for the long term, I'm sure Alan Gaffney will know a whole host of coaches that just don't hit the radar in the Northern Hemisphere, that could be possible DoR's of the future.

Interesting to see another Randwick connection with the Saints.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 17:50
Canít help but think
Why why why Jim didnít do the same thing to turn fortunes around months/years ago
Unfortunately misplaced loyalty proved undoing

Going to be interesting

HungryLikeTheWolf
29 December, 2017 17:54
I wouldnít be averse to 18 months of Gaffney then Michael Cheika post World Cup?

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 18:54
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
I wouldnít be averse to 18 months of Gaffney then Michael Cheika post World Cup?

Cheika would certainly know where to insert the rocket & how to light it ! A massive character . I'm positive having Gaffney in the short term will help us recruit a top permanent DOR. He will know a lot of people we'd never think of.

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 19:23
I'm going to give the conjecture (my favourite subject as most of you know) a pass and just say let's get behind the boys.

That poisoned chalice doesn't half work though eh?

acl saint
acl saint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 20:34
We let our feelings know as loyal fans, now with this great news we need to help lift the team and atmosphere at the gardens!!! COYS

MESSAGES->author
Le marseillais (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:01
New technical coaching consultant...this is a bit confusing !
Do we have to understand that he is the new head coach of the Saints ?

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

Hollywood JK
Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 23:04
Can he kick? (Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 23:49
Of the names thrown around, He wasnít one of them, maybe his age, but I am glad we didnít get any of them, as for me would be seen long term not shotprt term, this one I see short

He has experience, he he been over here and proved it

He 70... so phone call was come get paid a decent wick and help us out!... I am all for that

Curve ball I. My opinion from board and a pitch!

I think we would always survive, and Irish go down, but if we can turn it round and sneak into Europe again like last year, how much money would that make the club and it needs it and to help recruit, so money to Gaffney would be well spent.

New chapter, almost a new year, now letís get behind the team and go for It!!!!

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 00:53
Quote:
Le marseillais
New technical coaching consultant...this is a bit confusing !
Do we have to understand that he is the new head coach of the Saints ?

Yes

MESSAGES->author
Convex Hull (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 05:36
As other Saracens supporters have said, Gaffney is a thoroughly decent, likeable, person who gained the respect of everyone at Saracens. He was highly rated by the Irish for his ability to organise attacks and to develop an exciting, free-flowing, game. He did better than Eddie Jones, when it came to coaching Saracens.
He is the ideal choice for bringing calmness and a sense of purpose to a team.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

MESSAGES->author
Le marseillais (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 12:41
How long is the contract of A Gaffney?
What do you think of the position of A Dickens ?

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:31
Really REALLY glad we idn't get a 'Mike Ford' or others touted. Good piece of business by the board well done sir or sirs! A been there done it srtaight talking knowledgeable Aussie and they do know abit about coaching too eh Mr Jones? I also think he will speak direct Elephantese if required in words of few syllables. Chuffed am I.grinning smiley

MESSAGES->author
Pyffy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:14
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Good appointment. I'd like to think that he may be able to stabilise us, find our best side barring injuries and help us avoid having Irish finish above us. Pyffy, promise I'll buy you a pint next time I'm at the Gardens if we finish top 6. Promise to buy me one if we're 7th or below? Just can't see top 6, happy with anything above 12th......right now anyway. He's got a shed load of work to do just to make us competitive with anyone above us in the table imo. I'd be delighted to be wrong incidentally.

Sorry for the delay in replying Smitz as I have been away in London for the weekend as it was the wife's birthday. I took her to the theater on Friday night to see the Book of Mormon an adult musical about the The Church of the Later Day Saints and then on Saturday we went to see a comedy of errors at Twickenham with our latter day Saints. Quite ironic really.

This result may have put paid to 6th it may not. With the "Gaffer" due to start his duties from tomorrow I hope he can instill our squad with some enthusiasm and a large dose of self belief. With 10 games left in the season and a minimum of 40 points still up for grabs 6th is not beyond us if we can write off 2017 and start 2018 a new. The optimist in me says it's a possibility however a pessimist may disagree. With that in mind I would be happy to shake your hand and buy you a beer at the end of the season if we fail to make 6th and I would gratefully accept a pint of London Pride should we do the improbable and get there.

Here's to a the New Year with the hope that things really can't get any worse. COYS!!!

Proud member of the Saints Season Ticket Holder Happy Clapper Club since 2006.(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net