rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

JohnI
James Wilson - Mistake Letting Go?
JohnI (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:37
Having just watched the Bath v Wasps match and seeing a James Wilson play a full game at 12 I cannot believe he was on such a high wage at Saints that we had to let him go considering the number of positions he used to be able to cover as a utility player.

Glad to see he is still playing at the highest level and obviously a point to prove.

LaurieK
Re: James Wilson - Mistake Letting Go?
LaurieK (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:44
Sorry but can't agree. He flatters to deceive for me. No real impact tonight. Better to see Rory and Tom come through.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:45
Agree with Laurie, no question talented but not often enough for me. Spent a long time injured too, not his fault but there comes a time when you have to let people go

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:45
I was disappointed that he was released, he never really seemed to disappoint and he had a massive boot.

Joe Davison
29 December, 2017 21:48
I was a big fan in the early years but he was never too far away from a poor pass/knock on/shanked kick. By the end, his omission became such a fan obsession that made him some kind of god, like when digger didnít play.

Heís at the end of his career and best of luck to him. Please, donít tell me that - after Bath just got totally outplayed - we miss him

Waggydog
Waggydog (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:52
I was a big fan of Wilson while he was with us but no, it wasn't a mistake to let him go.

I am however glad to hear he's found a new home and is getting game time. Sometimes a change can be good for people.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:07
For me he did not have a great game tonight vs Wasps and was quiet. Useful squad player but struggled to justify a 1st 15 spot.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:15
Class act, we messed him about by constantly switching him from full back to wing to centre

I would have had him in the centre every game, he was our best heads up ball player

Then he got injured and like a few of our guys, got injured again and again

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 23:29
He loved the big play. It sometimes came off, but terribly error prone.

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 23:33
Another player that if we'd just played him week in week out in one position he'd have been brilliant. Just ruined & destroyed his confidence like numerous others

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 00:52
yep that sums it up for me happy wife
its as though we went out of our way to screw up some players
in the end he was so injury prone but good luck to him

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 08:52
I agree with the majority view. James was a good Saintsman who perhaps suffered from being a jack of all trades and never cemented a position to his name; a trap that Harry must not fall into imho. JW left the Saints in good order with some medals in his pocket and deserves a couple of more good years before, no doubt, he will return home.

Cracking game last night btw.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 09:27
I rate him as a player.....but we already have way too many squad players covering FB, wing and centre.

So really we didnít need him any more, more than not wanting him.

Fb - Foden, Ace, Malinder
Wing - north, Collins, Elliot, Ace, pisi, Horne, Foden, Estelles
Centre - Burrell, Horne, Malinder, Stephenson, Hutchinson, Estelles

I think thatís all and thatís a lot of players.we just didnít need him (or some of the above as well to be honest).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 09:28 by Lamont4Saints.

Scrummy
Scrummy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:04
12 is the position that I wanted to see him play. Good distribution, second kicking option, big enough for crash ball. But others were chosen ahead of him.

Brewster345
Brewster345 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:01
Quote:
LaurieK
Sorry but can't agree. He flatters to deceive for me. No real impact tonight. Better to see Rory and Tom come through.
Onky because they're cheaper. They are mid tavle Premiership standard (although I suppse that is the level Saints aspire to now)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net