rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

andysaint
Coaching set up
andysaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:37
Whilst the arrival of Gaffney has been lauded by many, I am feeling rather more reserved. Our main coaching team remains, all the plays and calls have been designed and cannot realistically be overhauled this late in a season. Gaffney surely won’t be here next season so he has been especially essentially tasked to inject one or two new ideas and ‘enthusiasm’. But that will surely not be enough to change matters. Which players would consider coming here for next season considering performances and continued uncertainty about coaching staff.

My view is that Gaffney will help but it is no where near enough. As far as I am concerned, Dickens West and Hopley may well not be here next season so surely we should be looking for further support.

tboullem
Re: Coaching set up
Mobbs (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:51
If, repeat, if they can actually find a new DOR, then it is highly likely that he will want his own team of coaches. That being the case, the club would have to pay-off those coaches who would have to be released. Bearing in mind the payouts to Jim Mallinder and Allan Robson, I doubt whether the club have the available funds to terminate multiple existing contracts. Consequently we could be in a vicious circle where we would be unable to attract the right person to the DOR role because the club would be unable to satisfy the demands of the best applicant for the position. Sugar Daddy anyone ?

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:56
Need someone who is happy to invest £1m+ per year without even thinking about it

The owners have done nicely out of the clubs asset value whilst investing little over the last 10 years or so

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:05
Dont know if your assumptions are correct Andysaint.

I have never seen such bad body language from team and coaching staff as today.

We need a LEADER. Dont know if AG is that person.

I said that when Jim was shown the door, if the real problem was still inside the club, then there wouldnt be an improvement. Now personally I dont know who or where that problem is, but it is clearly still there.

I would say that AG is there to identify who wants to play. Today, there were players on the pitch that didnt want it, I won't name them but there are both big names and players that have been recruited as back-ups that because of mismanagement since the premiership win, find themsleves first team picks. There are players that aren't fit. Fitness is a club thing. I could go on. We also have good players playing like novices, Piers Francis for example. A lot for one guy to sort out, but its so bad that actually a real leader saying the right things could pull things together because there is still a lot of talent there.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:08
there is a relatively simple fix and that is defence, stop conceding soft tries and become hard to score against. the rest is more difficult and will take time.

It could be quite easy for the current incumbents to try and fix all the wrongs and the result could be to not fix anything. Hopefully `Gaffney will provide the coaches with a clear direction and focus and concentrate on a small number of fixes in the short term.

I would doubt the new DoR will remove all coaches, 1 or 2 perhaps (or at least 1 we hope)

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:08
It is indeed difficult to see how a temporary coaching consultant can make any material difference to a squad whose morale is shot to pieces and in any event will not feel the need to impress a man who they know won't be here next season

HungryLikeTheWolf
30 December, 2017 18:12
I’m afraid Eif has been right all along, we offer almost zero competition at the breakdown and it kills us. Brussouw changes that but all our forwards should be coached to compete.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:13
See no reason why a new DoR would not retain Dickens or Dowse. Unless a new DoR wants all his own staff which is probable. Personally I'd retain those two and dispense with Messrs West and Hopley. Quite frankly, notwithstanding Gaffney's appointment it's West's retention that's making us an embarrassment.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:16
HLTW.. compete at the rights time. Sarries are very good at it, decision to compete or not, if yes numbers and compete ferociously, if no non-one goes in and join the defensive line

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:21
One to one interviews with every member of the squad to find out what is going on. Find out whose heart is in it then make recommendations/suggestions to the board.

HungryLikeTheWolf
30 December, 2017 18:24
Quote:
Walks11
HLTW.. compete at the rights time. Sarries are very good at it, decision to compete or not, if yes numbers and compete ferociously, if no non-one goes in and join the defensive line

at the right time? We achieved I believe 1 or 2 turnovers today against Quins 9 or 10?

every week we offer naff all to either slow ball down or turn it over

Too many stringy legged forwards who are easily knocked off the ball.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:04
Said before and say again
The present coaches have learnt their trade under JM and DW ( except for Dawson’s year at Warriors ) over the last 10 years
What did anyone expect ?

A revolution a transformation a sudden we’ve been waiting for this day to change things ?

Same old same old

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:11
Dickens blaming lack of confidence rather than lack of effort post match comes straight from the Jim Mallinder playbook. About time that a spade is called a spade and they stopped pussyfooting around these players.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net