rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

ElySaint
The Future
ElySaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:22
With any chance of top 4 vanishing and top 6 looking increasingly unlikely hereís what Iíd like to see:

Concentration on developing a nucleus of players to build our squad around for the next three years. Haywood. Lawes, Ribbans, Ludlam, Hutch, Stephenson, Collins as well as young Grayson and Mitchell. Now is the time. Irish will most likely get relegated, so we have a chance to lay a blueprint for the future of our club. I acknowledge the effort and success some senior players have given to the shirt in years past, and thier experience will be invaluable in this process toward the end of this season.

For me this process has to start now. This should not just be about the playing squad personel. This club needs to think about what it stands for and really own it. This poopstorm needs to be made into an opportunity.

Christoff
Re: The Future
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:26
"Top 6 increasingly unlikely "?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:31
The future is on hold until this wretched board of saints gets a grip and sorts out the coaching situation. Until a permanent structure is found all players and coaches future and jobs (save for those players with a contract beyond 2017) are up in the air.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:33
Quote:
smitferbrainz

Mathematically, of course.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:34
Quote:
ElySaint
Quote:
smitferbrainz

Let's just guarantee 11th first.

fatrucker
fatrucker (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:42
Quote:
With any chance of top 4 vanishing and top 6 looking increasingly unlikely

You need to go back to school and do your sums, my friend.

We are likely to be 9th or 10th. And it's a blo*dy disgrace to town, club and shirt. Today's performance was the usual - concede six or seven tries. Been the same since the Sarries slaughterat HQ at beginning of the season.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:44
Nothing will be done this season that is not already announced because there will be no new DoR until the summer. The Board (and we) are just hoping we finish the season unrelegated, which excludes bringing youngsters in. There will then be a new beginning next season, hopefully backed up by a long term strategy. That will still be a gradual process because the squad will largely remain intact until contracts expire

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:47
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:
ElySaint
Quote:
smitferbrainz

Let's just guarantee 11th first.

Good point actually!

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:01
Respectfully, I disagree with some of your assertions Tedge. I donít believe that the goal of remaining in the Prem excludes the development of future players. I cannot see how it could hurt us at the moment, done properly.

Developing a hungry, disciplined and motivated younger player is more appealing to me right now than watching a jaded former international offering little to the jersey.

Hollywood JK
Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:08
One thing is for sure, we need to ship the whole coaching team on, and numerous players..

My concern is who of a high quality player would want to join this outfit other than for money, given top flight European rugby is highly unlikely!!

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:13
Quote:
Hollywood JK
One thing is for sure, we need to ship the whole coaching team on, and numerous players..
My concern is who of a high quality player would want to join this outfit other than for money, given top flight European rugby is highly unlikely!!

We have to think differently now. Weíve regressed so far weíre basically going to have to rebuild the whole damn thing. The walls of the castle have fallen. The old guard have gone awol and we need to get the young lads to help us rebuild for a btter future.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:13
Quote:
Hollywood JK

We find the next James Short, Olly Woodburn, Dan Robson who is struggling for game time at their current club and wants to start more games. Joe Simpson would have been a good shout if we hadnít gone shopping overseas again. We donít need expensive luxuries at the moment.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:26
Quote:
Hollywood JK

Point 1, I agree with. I believed at the beginning of the season, we had a squad that could be top 4. That was clearly not so.

Your second point, I do not agree with. If we are as poisoned a chalice as you suggest, then Gaffney would not have risked his reputation on a holding role.

I'm rather glad, in a perverse way, that this game went as it has. If there were any illusions beforehand, there can be none now. 2017 is now over.

2018 is calling - onward and upward!!

MESSAGES->author
Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:35
Quote:
andysaint
Quote:
Hollywood JK

We find the next James Short, Olly Woodburn, Dan Robson who is struggling for game time at their current club and wants to start more games. Joe Simpson would have been a good shout if we hadnít gone shopping overseas again. We donít need expensive luxuries at the moment.

I'm not saying your wrong but James Short and Ollie Woodburn were both coached at Chiefs to the level they are today.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

fatrucker
fatrucker (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:47
Oirish are performing almost as well with nothing. NOTHING. SAINTS, get a grip of your prima donna has beens. NOW!

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:54
Quote:
ElySaint
Respectfully, I disagree with some of your assertions Tedge. I donít believe that the goal of remaining in the Prem excludes the development of future players. I cannot see how it could hurt us at the moment, done properly.
Developing a hungry, disciplined and motivated younger player is more appealing to me right now than watching a jaded former international offering little to the jersey.

I am merely predicting what I think WILL happen - not necessarily what I think SHOULD happen - which is more akin to your own thoughts.

Dave L
Dave L (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:18
Quote:
Prarie Dog
Quote:
andysaint
Quote:
Hollywood JK

I'm not saying your wrong but James Short and Ollie Woodburn were both coached at Chiefs to the level they are today.

I think thatís his point. They werenít getting game time elsewhere and have gone on to make a real impact at their new clubs.

stjj
stjj (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:07
ElySaint
ď a jaded former international offering little to the jersey.Ē
Could you clarify who you are referring to please?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:15
Quote:
Dave L
Quote:
Prarie Dog
Quote:
andysaint
Quote:
Hollywood JK

I think thatís his point. They werenít getting game time elsewhere and have gone on to make a real impact at their new clubs.

Yep thatís right why spend money on expensive Ďstarsí when we have more than one position that needs serious work. Build up the side again and then improve it with established players. I firmly believe that there are enough players in this league and the championship that would relish a step up and first team action. Look at Nathan Earle for example at Sarries, he wonít be getting by Wyles Maitland Williams or Goode soon unless there are injuries. We should look there rather than second rate overseas players.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:44
Quote:
stjj
ElySaint
ď a jaded former international offering little to the jersey.Ē
Could you clarify who you are referring to please?

Stjj - in my own opinion, as is the nature of this site, Iíd offer that yesterday Burrell, Wood, Foden offered little as former internationals in terms of leadership, or positive influence on our play. More broadly over the first half of this season I would add to that list Brookes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net