rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Harleys Evil Step Mum
H Mallinder
30 December, 2017 21:26
Quins fan in peace (sort of), and I feel really sorry for the lad, but that was a truly awful performance! Funny player, heís not a 10, very clearly not a 15, too slow to play 11 or 14, so that leaves 9, 12 or 13... thoughts?

MESSAGES->author
Re: H Mallinder
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:30
I don't share the love-in for the guy myself. Decent club player at best but I don't think he will ever get a senior international cap. His best position is on the bench covering others.

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:31
I've always said he's a 12 but his defence is not up to scratch. Not convinced with him at 15. He's got the potential to be a good player but he makes too many mistakes. Hopefully with the right guy in charge he will blossom.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:32
Still young but I fear the lack of physicality in his game both in attack and defence will mean he doesnít make the top level.

That can change of course but a certain amount needs to come naturally.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:33
Bad day at the office with understandable off-pitch goings on at the moment. Did a great job for us at 10 earlier in the season when all our experienced fly halves were our injured.

Give the lad a break.

ACTUAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES TRAINING
FOOTAGE FROM SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Brewster345
Brewster345 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:45
Matthew, he really didn't do that good a job when he stepped in. He's massively regressed and I fear he's destined to be a mid table player. Getting done by a hooker in defense todsy is pretty inexcusable

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:12
Every fullback occaisionally gets stepped by someone they ought to tackle. Mike Brown got stepped in an, almost, identical situation by Samu a few years ago. He was, and still is, the England fullback.

Harry has suffered from being asked to fill in anywhere there was a need. It's hardly suprising that his progress has suffered because of it.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:13
In his defence 15 is massively difficult position that play, huge expanse of field to cover and a bit of experience goes a long way. Heís not had that many starts at 15 so despite his poor game today Iíd stick with him for now, he needs to decide where his best position is and stick with it. Heís in danger of becoming a utility player and not a master of any one position. He didnít do a lot right today but the loss was not down to him

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:17
He's only a young lad & a few seasons ago was a ball boy - please don't destroy him, he'll learn from this & hopefully use the experience

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:28
Wow
I have been saying for some tome that I simply don't rate him. He is headless and continues to make poor decisions. Suddenly it appears I am not the only one any more !!

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:29
Always nice to hear from opposition fans how bad our players are.

To be fair to Harry he always seems to keep trying and it obviously means a lot to him to run out on the pitch and play. Heís can be quite vocal and show his frustration which is good to see. Heís young heís learning, heís got good hands, a good boot, good turn of pace and made a lot of meters in attack. His defence and positioning concerns me and some of the errors are repeated. But heís young and deserves some slack considering his lack of experience. Not a lot of players can do what he can at his age.

Saint 16
Saint 16 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:37
Sorry but today aside I think I must be watching a different game/player. Harry will be a top fullback given time and a good run in the position. Our try count would be far lower without him in the side. Just look at the lines and deceptive speed he brings from deep.

Former Hollywood Saint
30 December, 2017 22:37
Ian Hunter said it best when he said when he goes on instinct heís pretty good. The trouble is when he thinks, he makes mistakes. He seems to think a lot.

FHS

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:38
I thought he was our best player last week, today was not good, not at all, but well capable of improving.

DominicHyde
DominicHyde (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:41
Normally creates more points than he gives away. More skill and vision than most other players. Bad day at the office today.

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:46
Again - stop singling out individuals that (at the moment) you donít favour from your position on the sofa.

Harry Mallinder is undoubtedly talented and growing with every game.

Being at 15 is a very exposed position, so mistakes are magnified. Itís a bit like being goalkeeper in the other football game.

Just important to remember this is a team game and - currently - the whole team lacks confidence.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/99/99_0_1202835632.jpg
*I could agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong...*

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:00
The lad had a game to forget, unfortunately so did 13 out of the other 14 players on the pitch

HungryLikeTheWolf
30 December, 2017 23:05
Quote:
Saint Dom
Again - stop singling out individuals that (at the moment) you donít favour from your position on the sofa.
Harry Mallinder is undoubtedly talented and growing with every game.

Being at 15 is a very exposed position, so mistakes are magnified. Itís a bit like being goalkeeper in the other football game.

Just important to remember this is a team game and - currently - the whole team lacks confidence.

Again can you stop trying to dictate and extinguish people's thoughts. This is a rugby message board not an Orwellian state.

A Quins fan came on here to ask our thoughts on Harry (albeit IMHO trolling). The responses have been honest and as far as I can see, not abusive.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:07
As has been said on another thread Saint Dom, please don't tell others what they can and can't post.

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:11
Ad hominem, ad infinitum...

My response, which I argue with evidence again and again, is that this is a team game.

Singling out individuals after a day like today is invidious.

I was there today, at Twickenham. The atmosphere was like a bullfight, where everybody knew Saints were going to get hammered. Mallinder was not the only one who froze at vital moments.

And Mister Wolf, whoever you are - I donít know you and, frankly, donít care to know you. Any abuse seems to come directly from you, and itís most certainly uninvited on my part.

Enjoy your next meal.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/99/99_0_1202835632.jpg
*I could agree with you - but then we'd both be wrong...*

MESSAGES->author
Saint Dom (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:20
The match statistics are instructive on this point, too:

Mallinder - metres made 106
Brown 77
Mallinder - carries 16
Brown 10

One might argue that Harry achieved less with his (statistical) dominance, but he is a good 15 in the making. Give the lad a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 23:21 by Saint Dom.

HungryLikeTheWolf
30 December, 2017 23:27
Please highlight the abuse Dom... examples please. I have had enough of you chucking around these accusations just because I do not mirror your views.

My post on this thread suggests Harry has time to make it but has some failings currently. I think that is fair analysis.

My other comments today were that our captains didn't turn up today and should be dropped. Sentiments that are not only echoed by a majority on here but also an ex-England captain.

Giving an honest opinion which doesn't match yours is not abuse. I would expect a little humility sir given the club's current plight has been accurately predicted (to your derision). I understand you may not like to read it.

I am sure you are a good person. Try not to take this message board personally, text is the worst form of communication.

Keep smiling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 23:57 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

Gloucester BAZ
Gloucester BAZ (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:32
'In peace' is one of the most 'naff'sayings on a rugby forum. They say it on football forums and there is where it can stay, it has no place in rugby unless it's conversing with Hiawatha and Sitting Bull from Sidmouth in Devon.
As for Mallinder I think he's a talent and it's no wonder he's having a tough time given his dads just been fired?? He's had one bad game but he has been excellent in others. Quins could sort out their own problems before their supporters start giving advice when it's still raw from a loss.
Northampton are and have always been a 'proper rugby club' with real supporters. You'll get it sorted. looking forward to next Saturday with the two best sets of supporters in the Premiership.

HungryLikeTheWolf
30 December, 2017 23:33
and also your last post is far more personally abusive and aggressive than anything I have ever posted on this site.

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:36
I'll repeat St Dom, Harry is a decent club player.

Let's be realistic.... using an average performance as a guide, not just one good or bad game as the benchmark, which of the other Premiership sides would start Harry in his preferred position of 15, ahead of what they already have?

Exeter - Turner/Slade/Nowell?
Saracens - Goode/Maitland/Williams?
Wasps - Le Roux/Miller?
Bath - Watson?
Leicester - Veainu/Tait?
Quins - Brown?

I'd say none of those clubs would be interested in Harry as a first team starter at 15.

I personally don't think he'll progress much further than where he is now. I'd love to be wrong though.

DominicHyde
DominicHyde (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:38
heīs young and been shifted around the backs. Only fly half to win a prem game this year?

wombles222
wombles222 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:39
Quote:
Gloucester BAZ
'In peace' is one of the most 'naff'sayings on a rugby forum. They say it on football forums and there is where it can stay, it has no place in rugby unless it's conversing with Hiawatha and Sitting Bull from Sidmouth in Devon.
As for Mallinder I think he's a talent and it's no wonder he's having a tough time given his dads just been fired?? He's had one bad game but he has been excellent in others. Quins could sort out their own problems before their supporters start giving advice when it's still raw from a loss.
Northampton are and have always been a 'proper rugby club' with real supporters. You'll get it sorted. looking forward to next Saturday with the two best sets of supporters in the Premiership.

I am intrigued what rugby club is there that is not a "proper rugby club with real supporters"?

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:46
Don't panic Saint Dom ; some of us aren't saying you are wrong. Some agree and some just disagree with you that's all. This thread was about Harry Mallinder and I simply don't rate him. Sorry if that upsets you as much as those that disagree with your point of view appear to.

HungryLikeTheWolf
31 December, 2017 00:14
It should also be recognised that Harry started his career with a really bad shoulder injury. It must have had a serious psychological and physical impact.

I think we are laying too much on him right now. Needs resting, nurturing....

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 01:23
He has two big problems. First of all, we all knew that he was going to miss the tackle today, happens every week. Second of all, he runs across the field with ball in hand, the drift defenders are happy to say thank you to him.

He needs time away from top level rugby and told to come back when he's improved his basic skills.

MESSAGES->author
Quin Kong (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 02:08
Can we have him? A bad game does not make a bad player.

QUIN KONG

Brewster345
Brewster345 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 06:25
Quote:
Saint Dom
I didn't have a sofa at the Gardens last week or at Twickenham yesterday.
Although I also don't think those who didn't travel have any less of a right to criticise either.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 07:14
I like him, I think he will go on to be a very good player.

What is his best position? God knows. He probably doesn't either. So what?

Since he has been in the side, he has been moved around like a piece of furniture. No wonder he has a problem settling into one or the other.

He misses the odd tackle - so what? Last time I responded to a HM post, I suggested there were a number of missed tackles before they got to Harry. Same argument yesterday.

He does have some bad habits, habits that a decent coaching setup would work on. OK - who's that? We do not have a skills coach, a person who could talk to him about his carrying of the ball and his tendency to off-load at the wrong time.

But he has also been involved in some of our best tries this season. So for now I look upon him as a promising player of the future.

But I think he could do with a bit of time away from the "sappers" as Sir Clive would call the negative influences in and around the squad. Whoever they may be. Players or coaches.

And as for the suggestion that a number of clubs would not want him, just wait and see, should he decide to leave! He is a product of his environment. And today, that is toxic.

C Quin
31 December, 2017 08:11
Quins fan here, I thought Harry was not helped at all by his wingers and it is not easy being a full back when the team are not making tackles! That said he made a few unforced errors but he is turning into a good player he did a great break against exter last week.

Gibson had a great game by the way.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:21
I wonder where Harry would be if he had a mentor or experienced coach helping and supporting him
Itís no surprise that Smith is becoming one hell of a player with Nevís support at Quinnís
I do fear for the younger players at Saints
Where is the support the help the tutorial the guidance to make them better players
Some seem to get to the edge of the 23 then just disappear or disappoint and are discarded Grayson Hutchinson Stephenson etc etc etc
Harry is a great ball player he just needs some help to release his potential

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:35
He is a good 15 actually, got a great boot, good in the air, can pass with both hands and run effectively.

He just needs defence skills, he planted his feet and put both arms out to scare Ward, who just went around. Needs coaching out of him.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:54
When Harry first emerged as a first team player in a team that was under the direction of his father - i thought then and still think now that he would have/ would benefit greatly from playing somewhere else.
I know the father son things appears to work at Wasps and now Glaws but I have my doubts as to whether it worked for Harry or us.

That said I hope some new perspectives from the Gaffer will help the lad.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:55
Quote:
unQUINtested scrums
Quins fan here, I thought Harry was not helped at all by his wingers and it is not easy being a full back when the team are not making tackles! That said he made a few unforced errors but he is turning into a good player he did a great break against exter last week.
Gibson had a great game by the way.

In theory we had three full backs starting yesterday in Foden Tuala and Mallinder. As full backs their defensive positioning should be good but if you are playing out of position it can be compromised.

Stevie Myler's right boot
31 December, 2017 09:11
Give the kid a break - how many tackles were missed before they got through to the last line of defence (Harry)?
Easy to point the finger at him for otherís failures.
He is not perfect, he has faults, however with the right coaching these are easily fixable and to be fair he has been one of very few trying to drag the team by the scruff of its neck

edwigg
edwigg (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:15
Harry Mallinder is a very good young player, who recently has been our only attacking threat where anything good has been created from.

He had a poor game yesterday and at 15 there are no hiding places.

The boy will be a great player, not sure if internationally or where, but Iíd rather be with him than without.
He will become stronger inspire of all the negatives and Iím sure Dad would have been the first to show support yesterday.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:36
An excellent young, still learning footballer

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:42
So many posters have been crying out for young players to be given their chance.
Harry has been given his chance and now he is being vilified on this "supporters" forum.
He had a poor star yesterday and his confidence evaporated and as a result had a poor game along with most of the rest of a shell shocked team unable to provide him with the support and encouragement that he needed.

ramseysaint
ramseysaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:46
Quote:
Saint Dom
The match statistics are instructive on this point, too:
Mallinder - metres made 106
Brown 77
Mallinder - carries 16
Brown 10

One might argue that Harry achieved less with his (statistical) dominance, but he is a good 15 in the making. Give the lad a chance.

Mallinder- Turnovers 5 tackles 2 Missed tackles 4

Brown - Turnovers 0 Tackles 3 Missed tackles 1

Your stats show how he attacks, and I believe he is a great attacking player but at the moment we need someone with experience at the back. He might become a great player someday.

HungryLikeTheWolf
31 December, 2017 09:46
Do our young players have mentors?

Do the older players go out of their way to help the younger guys grow as people and athletes ?

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:57
HM has potential to become a fine player. Yes, he needs to develop continually - show me a player that doesnít.

He is not the only player who missed tackles yesterday, far far from it.

We do need a skills coach and my suspicion is that Gaffney will highlight this.

As Foden said earlier in the week, the club have been lazy in terms of fitness, conditioning and skills and weíre all paying for it.

stjj
stjj (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:10
He has scored 5 tries this season, 3 of which were from Full Back. Donít tell the critics on here though, it wonít suit their agenda

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:10
H is a huge talent but should have moved to another club recently when he renewed his contract with us. He would then have got the coaching/mentoring to develop his natural skills. To complain about his tackling in a side where the senior players are poor at tackling is bizarre.
I don't see light at the end of the tunnel,I don't see a tunnel,I don't think we know where to look for a tunnel,and it's dark, and foggy and gloomy.
When Daisy's book is published,sooner I hope rather than later, we will know what has been going on. Did Dyls go to the board? Is the medical team poor? Is there a player clique? Is,as often, money a corrosive element? Are incoming players on better salaries? Is it so that the players have not been out on a 'social' for a long time. Did Jim and West really not speak during the week?
If there is more than one elephant in the room, once identified strong management is needed.
And soon.
We have the players.
Talk of moving six to seven, or fifteen to ten is to avoid the deeper concerns.
Now where is that whisky bottle?!
I looked around yesterday half an hour into the game and my mate had gone, not to the toilet but home! I got a text to say he was just embarrassed and angry. These are serious times for Northampton Rugby Football Club.
COYS

Hollywood JK
Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:14
Misses way too many tackles for me, that negates any positives.. At 15, you have to be able to tackle first and foremost!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:28
Brown does not miss tackles because he is aggressive and want to tackle. Harry is too nice, he need to find some aggression

Posh_Saint
Posh_Saint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:35
Very difficult one.

He does always seem to have a big error or two in him per game but much better judges than me (and most posting on here) consider him to be a major talent. Eddie took him to Argentina in the summer.

IF he is or could be as good as some think why on earth would we want to let him go somewhere else ?!

Let's see what Gaffney (a backs coach) makes of him.

One thing that should also be said is that he is a very nice and polite young man.

Whiston Saint
Whiston Saint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:45
Quote:
SaintsAsh
Brown does not miss tackles because he is aggressive and want to tackle. Harry is too nice, he need to find some aggression

You donít need aggression to tackle, you need technique and focus. Harry is far from the finished article and has been thrown into the lions den. If we were winning he would look good just like the half backs. If you play behind a beaten pack you just donít shine.

I would have Collins and Pisi on the wings and ace at 15 with Harry on the bench.

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:50
H is young, he is still learning and has great potential. Playing in a team with your father as DOR cannot be easy, seeing your father being sacked as DOR cannot be easy. Playing various positions in a year whilst learning your trade isn't the best start, for a young lad playing in a team without confidence cannot be much fun. All whilst recovering from a serious shoulder injury. I doubt I would be in the best frame of mind under such circumstances.

He has made mistakes yes, but he puts the effort in and he his one of the few players with the ball in hand that gives me an air of expectation.

With the potential he has I would be looking after him and encouraging him.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:28
Harry is only 21 a few mistakes yes but the biggest potential the club has?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

[url=https:[www.justgiving.com], Please sponsor me here[/url]

MESSAGES->author
GazzaTheDonkey (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:49
H is like many under 20 stars, seems to take a few years to get to grips with the 'big boys' game - although there was a big exception at 10 on the other side, what a performance!

Personally I thought starting Harry at FB yesterday was asking for trouble, we had two more experienced FB's to play there in a game where defence was always going to be crucial. Why not play our ex-England FB there and put Harry on wing, it's not like Fodes scores that many tries scorching the touchline anyway. But hey 'not a coach' :-)

COYS

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 13:26
Harry always gives his best and I think pressure gets to him. But that's because he cares, you can see it in his face & body language on the pitch he cares about the club and what's happening.

If he could play in a environment where there's less stress, and just be able to play his natural game he would flourish. But being too afraid to make a mistake almost guarantees you will make mistakes!

He's a great footballer & just needs encouragement and a lisence to play his heads up rugby.
With better coaching he can work on his flaws, if all the players has his attitude we would be in a much better place than we are now.

Imagine Harry leaving for another prem club, would you be sad? I would. I have a soft spot for Harry because he's one of the few Saintsmen left in the team, he cares, we should care about him. He can only get better, same as our club can only get better from here.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:42
Brilliant talent just completely out of his depth like the rest of the team. Confidence shot to pieces, dad left in difficult circumstances. Feel sorry for him. He may emerge from this nightmare stronger than ever and go on to be a great player for us, better for the experience. I hope so. Good luck to him.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:43
Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Harry is only 21 a few mistakes yes but the biggest potential the club has?

Ludlam has as much potential I believe. Mitchell and Grayson full of potential, Hitchinson as well. In fact, lots of potantial. What we need is the right environment to maximise such potential - management, culture, coaching.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:49
Quote:
OldPete
When Harry first emerged as a first team player in a team that was under the direction of his father - i thought then and still think now that he would have/ would benefit greatly from playing somewhere else.
I know the father son things appears to work at Wasps and now Glaws but I have my doubts as to whether it worked for Harry or us.

That said I hope some new perspectives from the Gaffer will help the lad.

Matfield thought Harry was the most talented player in the squad but agreed with you Pete that he should go elsewhere to learn his trade.

stoofer
stoofer (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:03
Coaching, coaching, coaching.......coaching!

Remember when the received wisdom was that Courtney couldn't carry? Or Soane couldn't scrummage?

Harry is 21, with bags and bags of natural talent and ability. Also natural size and speed.

He also has obvious weaknesses at present, particularly in the tackle. But there is absolutely no reason why that shouldn't become a strength in years to come. I'd love to see our next DoR have the courage to develop him as what he looks like to me - a potentially world class 12.

Imagine the player he'd look at Sarries or Exeter?

FatQuin
FatQuin (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 18:46
Yet another Quin here. Always liked you lot (Ashton and Clark apart!) and was genuinely sad to see such a soft performance on Saturday. However Mallinder is nothing like the biggest problem I can see. Your forwards were dire in just about everything they did and seemed to spend more time trying to gob off at Sincks and Marler (having conceded a bucket lad of points) than play competent rugby. Sometimes a good tactic but not when you are 30 points down.

Lots of noise about Hartley but Harrison and Wood were rubbish I am afraid and the props don't look AP level based on that game. I cannot really see why Mallinder or Francis get so much grief working behind that nonsense. Myler clearly settled you down (I have always liked him) but he was playing damage limitation rugby because of your terrible pack. I am not sure you have replaced the Manoa/Picamoles role.

Anyway good luck for rest of season. Maybe see you in the playoffs!

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:10
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
Quins fan in peace (sort of), and I feel really sorry for the lad, but that was a truly awful performance! Funny player, heís not a 10, very clearly not a 15, too slow to play 11 or 14, so that leaves 9, 12 or 13... thoughts?

He's not a wing for a number of other reasons but lack of gas isn't one. He has beaten a number of premiership wingers for pace - Marland Yarde being one when we played Quins in September.

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:07
We can be such a fickle bunch; one minute singing the lads praise, only to knock him down when he has a back run. He's only young and has plenty of time to grow as a player. Can't have had a easy month.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net